It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mad idea???
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Wondered your thoughts on using VM software to run Mojave (on a Catalina machine) in order to use PlayOnMac to run MOULa?

and ...

uʍop ǝpısdn ʇsod uɐɔ l 'sǝʎ

Ki # : 02037973

Post subject: Re: Mad idea???
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Better use Boot Camp at that point, at least you’d have direct access to the CPU and GPU.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:59 pm 

Disclaimer: I'm not a Mac user, so my knowledge of this OS and Boot Camp is quite limited.
I can however say a VM is a great way to use another OS inside your favorite OS. This can be very taxing though, and requires a lot of disk space (hardware emulation acceleration does help with performances - I don't know how it works on Mac computers though).
Speaking of performances, your mileage may vary depending on which OS you're emulating (Mac VM + PlayOnMac wrapper, versus Windows VM) and the software used for emulation (VirtualBox vs Parallel, although I suppose they should have nearly-identical performances).

You can already try to setup a Mojave-on-Mojave VM and see how Uru performs inside it. If it works well, then it's likely it will continue working on Catalina due to how VMs work. If it doesn't work, then it almost definitively won't work with Mojave-on-Catalina. This article might be useful, but it doesn't say anything about PlayOnMac...

Boot Camp probably yields better performances, but (assuming it works like regular dual-booting) it's more annoying to switch between OSes. VMs on the other hand run inside your own OS, so (assuming you can spare the performances) they are more comfortable to use. It also acts as a security layer, so there is usually no need to worry about security issues with running a slightly less secure Windows OS on your Mac machine (at worse you will just have to "rollback" the VM to an earlier version).

Note, I'm not saying a VM is the "superior way to go". I think Korovev is right and Boot Camp is probably more efficient when it comes to performances... There is no reason Uru wouldn't run using Boot Camp, since it would be completely untied from Catalina or any other Mac OS.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:36 pm 

Dual-booting is only annoying depending on how often you do it, I have dual-booted Linux and Windows for years and since I use Windows infrequently enough it's not a problem. Also, tasks like checking my Gmail uses a browser and therefore are OS agnostic, so I don't have to switch back to Linux to check that account. The drawback to not using it often is you will have to get updates pretty much every time you log in. Also for some reason, Windows 10 has had turns of problems upgrading(from major version to major version) since I installed it, probably cause of Dual-booting.

Of course, buying a copy of Windows just for MOULa is expensive, Linux is probably hard for Mac users to get used to but it is free and you can run MOULa though Wine their. (you could also dual-boot but your OS would be free)

So in the end not much that can be done, sorry :(. If your a developer and have a Mac, maybe find out what's going on with Wine as they are some current talks about this.

I think they need to put virtualization into Wine to make it run 32-bit code, that may sound strange but to my understanding, this is what this project does to run 16-bit applications on 64-bit Windows: https://github.com/otya128/winevdm

I forgot to return to the thread.