It is currently Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:26 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:34 pm 
The control you all seek is an illusion.

....destruction is coming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:58 am 
Obduction Backer

Tweek, you did a great job indeed. Since I just read this thread, I don't know what I want to say exactly, but I try to make this as clear as possible:

As I'm not mistaken:
IC: someone acting as if he himself went to the cavern, and spending his time in there for some reason.
OOC: someone playing a game, without identifying himself with his character. He's just moving a puppet around.
RP: someone acting someone else, with a purpose of going or being into the cavern of it's own.
*in which both IC and RP are a way of roleplaying.

the most important purpose of this division is, as I think, as follows:
IC's and, mostly, OOC's need to understand the existance of RP's.

an RP can act being of D'ni or Human race. In the first case, this RP can act totally unpredictable, mostly to an OOC. In the latter case, this human being, for example being a DRC member, at least understands the human ways, and will be much less a probem to OOC's. Which is an important distinction to make.

maybe you find it worthed putting this somewhere and somehow into the RP description, maybe not :)

in my opinion, an RP can't do else but assume someone he/she meets is a human visiting the cavern. At most, this can lead to a misunderstanding of an OOC talking about school, the game he played yesterday, and the dinner that is ready in five minutes. He simplay won't understand. ('dinner? Where then are you going to have dinner, can I join, walk with you? Do you live close by then?')
I don't see the point in an RP having his experience 'spoiled' by an OOC. (I understand what you mean, but then, this must be a bad roleplayer. If he really stays in character, there is no problem).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:21 am 

I don't think it would be wise for any of us to RP a d'ni... Those of us with a bit more d'ni knowledge would probably debunk it quickly. It might not even be allowed when Uru Live launches - who knows?

But yes, I appreciate your last point about how RPers who stay in character can't have their experience spoiled by OOC players. However, it might be that the OOC players have their experience spoiled by RPers, since they may or may not have any idea what's going on.

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:28 am 
Obduction Backer

Owehn wrote:
I don't think it would be wise for any of us to RP a d'ni... Those of us with a bit more d'ni knowledge would probably debunk it quickly.

so now i have to pass your 'd'ni knowledge' test to RP? hmmmmmmm!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:30 am 

Not to RP, but to RP a d'ni. I've got lots of questions for the d'ni, and if I meet one in cavern I'd be sure to ask them!

Of course, if you didn't give reasonable answers, I might not believe that you really are a d'ni. ;)

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:42 am 
Obduction Backer

Owehn wrote:
Not to RP, but to RP a d'ni. I've got lots of questions for the d'ni, and if I meet one in cavern I'd be sure to ask them!

i would find it rather rude to have someone just start asking me question as i play my RP game. do you stop everyone with a d'ni sounding name and start asking question to prove to you who they are? i and my friends would put you on ignore and walk away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:49 am 

semplerfi wrote:
i would find it rather rude to have someone just start asking me question as i play my RP game. do you stop everyone with a d'ni sounding name and start asking question to prove to you who they are?

I don't think Owehn is talking about everyone who adopts a D'ni-style "nom du explorer", since many people do -- including Owehn himself. He's talking about someone who announces that they are a former citizen of D'ni returned from a refuge Age or something. Many of us would challenge someone who tried to adopt such a role, but we certainly wouldn't bother anyone who didn't make it clear that that was what they were trying to pull off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:01 am 

Thanks, BrettM. I'm only talking about people who would pretend to have survived the fall, having previously been d'ni citizens. I would have a boatload of questions for such a person, just because I'm curious, not because I'm trying to tear apart the person's role-play. For example:

How did you survive the fall?
Why didn't you meet up with Atrus and move to Releeshahn?
Why did you return now?
Where did you learn English?
What does "oolin" mean?
Have you been to the surface?
Have you met Yeesha?
Have you heard of the bahro?

Any d'ni would have answers for these questions, and I'd expect someone pretending to be d'ni to have answers to most of them. If anything, I'm playing along with your game by asking the questions, since that's what I'd do in real life.

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:32 am 
Obduction Backer

there is something to learn from what you all say.

hopeful when you all play your IC & RP you will allow new explorers & OOC to express their curiousity with such zealous questioning. :wink:

"Where are your papers?" :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:33 am 
Obduction Backer

Heh...not bad. ;) Except that it's kind of fallacious to maintain that you hadn't been to the surface, yet you know English solely because the D'ni wrote the Age of Earth (10,000 years before English even existed). :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:03 am 

Quote:
the D'ni wrote the Age of Earth (10,000 years before English even existed).

Hey, only about 9,500 years before English existed. :lol:

The inhabitants of Atrus' Ages weren't d'ni, so I might ask you different questions (though you have some good answers). Here's how I think our conversation might go if you were pretending to be a survivor from one of Atrus' Ages:

How did you survive the fall?
We weren't in d'ni when the fall happened - we met Atrus when he linked to our Age several years later.
Why didn't you meet up with Atrus and move to Releeshahn?
When Atrus was convinced one of his sons was pillaging his Ages, he wrote a safe place for the survivors to stay in before he caught the wrongdoer. We moved far away from the link-in point in case one of Atrus' sons linked in, and when Atrus searched for us he figured we had been wiped out. We, on the other hand, thought that there were no survivors outside of our sheltered Age.
Why did you return now?
A strange stone appeared in our village, along with a note saying that the link between our worlds had been reopened. We were wary at first, but after a brave soul used the link and returned shortly, we were emboldened.
Where did you learn English?
This was the language Atrus used when he first contacted our people. We learned his language, and still use it now.
What does "oolin" mean?[I wouldn't ask this since you wouldn't be d'ni]
Have you been to the surface?
No, we haven't. The most we've seen of this Age is the cavern.
Have you met Yeesha?
Of course - sweet, intelligent Yeesha was the one who reopened the link to our world. She is like the best of Atrus and Catherine put together, and we trust her completely.
Have you heard of the Bahro?
Yes, we hear the bahro all the time - more often than we see them. Oh, have we heard of them? Of course: they were Yeesha's agents in giving us the link to leave our world after so long.

There are some good timelines at DPWR, in case you want to read up on the history you're using. For example, Atrus wasn't even born until after the fall, and Yeesha wasn't born until after Sirrus and Achenar trapped Atrus in D'ni.

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:48 am 

Wait a sec. Atrus couldn't have met or written any Ages for D'ni survivors at the time his sons were rampaging through his library. His only access to the Cavern at that time was a locked room in K'veer! He didn't break out until years after his sons were trapped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:43 am 

I think the article that started this thread was very well written to not offer value judgments on how a person chooses to play within the game. I mean if you are not in - character, are you going to be angry if, as you are walking in some age, you hear Sharper trying to stir up the people to some nefarious ends? Hope not. The beauty of URU is that you can simply walk away and go explore ages on your own, in character or not. On the other hand, would even the most ardent in-character role player be angry, if the other person they are chatting with suddenly breaks character and says "I'm having a heart attack - call 911"? Naw... bottom line is everyone is going to adopt their own style, and that will change as time goes by. And that is all for the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:28 pm 

Michi wrote:
Learn English? Oh honey, our people wrote your age. We created the language, we didn’t forget it.

Are you roleplaying Esher? Because while that might be obvious for a D'ni to say, there's clues in the games that this is, objectively speaking, all wrong.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next