It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:36 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:28 pm 

Here is what I perused on the adventure gamers site

Quote:
"Unlike the original Uru Live, however, the new version of the game will be available only to subscribers of the entertainment network. GameTap gives subscribers access to a vast library of games and game-related media clips for $9.95/month. The service launched last fall as a resource that allows users to play hundreds of retro arcade, console, and computer games on their PCs via a broadband connection. Unfortunately, at this time the service is available only to U.S. residents. You can learn more about GameTap in our recent feature article, Adventures in GameTap."

Is this a fact?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:37 pm 

There have been quite a few threads on this. Read the second question in the FAQ. Bottom line is that one way or another international subscribers will have access to URU Live, just not necessarily through GameTap.

Long Live MOUL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

No, it´s not a fact. Please, read the FAQ here :wink:

Kai-Uwe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:46 pm 

I want a giant placard that says

"Everyone from all over the world can play Uru Live, US people can use gametap us 'internationals' use Something Else"

oh well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:26 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Kai-Uwe wrote:
No, it´s not a fact. Please, read the FAQ here

The quote is about GameTap and states the fact correctly. GameTap is available only in the U.S.

It is also a fact that Cyan has posted in the mentioned FAQ here on UruLive.com and many places elsewhere that Uru Live itself will be available worldwide. Those without access to GameTap have been assured by Cyan they will have direct access to Uru Live "from day one." What has not been answered is whether U.S. subscribers will have a choice between GameTap or direct access - a lesser issue.

Last edited by JWPlatt on Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:40 pm 

Like I have alway's said seeing is beleaving. For All that is Posted in any FAQ's. There has not been any offical advertising to say URU Live will be avalable to the rest of the world . Uru Live only for GameTap subscriber's is still the offical Line . Yes Cyan say international player's will be able to get URU LIve. But if Turner are not going to back any other connection only there own. all the international player's Don't hold your Breath.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Both the FAQ, and multiple Cyantists, have said that Uru Live WILL be available to international players, and that the details are being hashed out. The consistant answer has been YES, without hesitation.

If that's not good enough for you, then *shrug*, it's good enough for those of us who know that Cyan wouldn't say YES, if there was any chance of it being NO.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:57 pm 

what about greydragon made a sticky "read FAQ before posting" i know everyone is going to ignore it, but at least we can get angry at everyone, because the forum specifically says to read the FAQ

Cyan is doing their best so we "others" can play too, i dont think they are going to release it without support for people outside of US

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

I have read the FAQs and follow these forums regularly but I still have some questions and concerns. I know that the details have not been worked out yet, but I am wondering if someone might control speculation a tad by explaining exactly why Gametap is not available to those outside the US. From a business perspective it seems odd, especially since many of us from all over the world play together through other entertainment companies such as WB and Sony and, indeed, from smaller conduits, in games such as WoW, Guildwars, EQ and MXO to name but a few - and also because any entertainment company knows that attracting as wide a demographic of subscribers as possible is part of the key to making a game both attractive and feasible in the long run. Further, given the relative success of those other examples above, there is also no technical reason I can think of that would prevent Gametap from offering their services worldwide.

So -- I would like to know why Gametap is prevented from offering all their services to as many as would like to pay for and access them. My thoughts here lead me to a possible conclusion that it is the licensing restrictions for all the Gametap offerings that might hold the key, but I am not sure.

That thinking leads me to my primary concern--no one has said definitively whether or not both US subscribers to Gametap and international players subscribing outside of Gametap will be able to play together. Could we have some assurance that it is the details of all subscribers having access to the same servers -- where we can all play together -- that is being ironed out, and not, instead, an avenue for international subscribers that is entirely separate from US Gametap players?

Last edited by Nyrphame on Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:21 pm 

Now I have it, you place a small screen during the registration for the forum you know in size 100 font saying

"Uru Live will be availiable to everyone, from USA to Europe to China."

then in size 48 we could have the tech specs

that way many of the posts could be avoided and people don't get unnecessarily worried, although i admit the horrific web page they will be forced to see may cause some distress

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Steve - we may have been cross-posting. I am sure you did not mean to dismiss my post above yours. My concerns, and those of others, are legitimate, I think, and the FAQ does not take account of them.

:squish:

nerf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:01 pm 

Nyrphame wrote:
So -- I would like to know why Gametap is prevented from offering all their services to as many as would like to pay for and access them. My thoughts here lead me to a possible conclusion that it is the licensing restrictions for all the Gametap offerings that might hold the key, but I am not sure.

dunno ask the gaametap guys... dont think anyone here knows that, ive been wondering myself

Stevecrox wrote:
"Uru Live will be availiable to everyone, from USA to Europe to China."

*gasp* no uru for japan korea australia new zealand timor macau and any-country-i-have-forgotten-and-lies-between-china-and-USA :lol:

cyan have already said time and again, they are trying with all their resources to make Uru available to people outside of the US and wont rest until we can play too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

OBL DTA wrote:
Like I have alway's said seeing is beleaving. For All that is Posted in any FAQ's. There has not been any offical advertising to say URU Live will be avalable to the rest of the world . Uru Live only for GameTap subscriber's is still the offical Line . Yes Cyan say international player's will be able to get URU LIve. But if Turner are not going to back any other connection only there own. all the international player's Don't hold your Breath.

OBL DTA,

Why is "official" advertising any more trustworthy than an "official" FAQ? There hasn't really been any advertising yet. There HAVE been a lot of news articles and interviews indicating what I quote below...

From the FAQ:

Quote:
Q. Will Uru Live be released internationally?
A. Yes. Make sure you have the minimum requirements.

Also:

Quote:
Q.What if I'm not a GameTap subscriber?
A. Access to Uru Live will be available outside of GameTap for the same monthly fee but players who enter this way will not receive any of the extra benefits offered by GameTap.

I guess I don't understand the reasoning behind your point. Turner is in the money-making business. There is more money to be made if international subrscribers are permitted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:05 pm 
I don't think it's that Gametap aren't "allowed" to be international (though as someone else has pointed out, there could be licensing issues involved), but simply that they aren't set up to deal with the volume that international availability would entail.

It really doesn't make any difference what any of us think about this at the moment. It will either happen or it won't. I think it will. Believe it or not, as they say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:31 pm 

well every chat I have had with Cyanists they are pretty adimant that Uru will be availiable to everyone in the world. Personnally i find it doubtful that they are all lying, heck I struggle with the concept that any of them would lie. Cyan has never mislead or lied to us yet have faith

As for why Gametap isn't international? Who knows why is overclockers.co.uk on avialiable to the United Kingdom? Why does Microsoft segregate their realises across the globe when its from the same site.

I'd imagine its because operating in america they only have to following american law, their customer service can be in tune with their operational hours and because dealing with American banks is a little simplier than dealing with the entire worlds banks (debt recovery etc...) Perhaps they don't have the resources and funding to support the world? It could be a whole host of reasons. Heck if i can ever get through their service systems as an outsider then I might be able to find out myself.

The FAQ is reffered to time and time again by Cyanists, some thought went into it to alay our fears as international explorers and people will outdated hardware (by outdated I mean stuff you can no longer buy.)

As for your second concern dude no one has asked, PM GD ask him attend a town hall meeting and ask anouther Cyanist. I think its extremly doubtful that we will be seperated, as it stands I think most likely we will all use the same client and its just one account will be held through gametap and the others by Turner.

Last edited by Stevecrox on Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.