It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:21 pm 

But we DID have different, independend Shards in URU Live! I suppose, we will have more than 1 shard in future -- so the access COULD BE regional distributed !?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

They were independent but not exclusive. You weren't confined to Atrus / Katran / Achenar.

Atrus was first. When there were too many people for it to support, Katran was opened up. I can't see the principle being different this time around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

It would be more hassle than it would be worth to set up regionally segregated shards. I suppose it could be possible; but it would difficult. It just doesn't make sense. I my opinion, this is a completely unfounded fear.

It might also be possible that we'll all have to switch to Linux to play Uru Live because of Cyan's annoyance with Microsoft...

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:48 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Reverend Vader wrote:
Quote:
The silence out of Spokane on this issue is deafening.

Well, this "separate server" issue was just brought up in this thread for the first time yesterday.

Sorry, I was actually referring to the confusion about international access. Many, many people, especially international subscribers, have not even gotten the message that Uru Live will be available worldwide, whether through GameTap in the U.S. or via direct access everywhere else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well, it does seem that many of the news articles popping up here and there seem to be confuzzled about this issue.

Hopefully, we'll be able to rectify that soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
Quote:
The silence out of Spokane on this issue is deafening.

have not even gotten the message that Uru Live will be available worldwide, whether through GameTap in the U.S. or via direct access everywhere else.

Part of that could be that this is all very new. Seriously, the announcement that the partnership was confirmed went out a month ago. Before that it was all speculative that they'd even get funding for anything. Expencting comprehensive marketing & news outside of the close-knit fan community is premature.

I wouldn't be at all supprised if the mega-marketing monolith that is Turner Entertainment has gears turning now for Uru Live, and we'll be seeing more of both.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:30 pm 

Never seen any adds for Turner in Australia can't speak for other countries so I think if they did
mega-marketing it's prolly going to be specifically aimed at the US market
not outside.
Simple reason Gametap/Turner (whatever you want to call it) services is not available outside the USA to play They do state that fact.
Would you being in a business spend lots of money in a foreign market you would never get a return on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:30 pm 

Rusty_Russell wrote:
As I understand it, GameTap will be a portal to URU Live for non-US, so we'll have access to that but nothing else. There's no earthly reason for US and non-US to be segregated. It would go completely against Cyan's grain.

GameTap is only an access path.

I think it is more likely, given the second quote in this post, that Gametap will be an avenue for those in the US to access Uru Live that is hosted on the Cyan servers.

EDIT: Shadowcats, I think it is likely that they WILL get return from non-US players of Uru. I think someone mentioned somewhere that GameTap will get the same share of profit from the subscription whether or not you actually are getting GameTap. Can someone come up with a quote for this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

The second quote is about Until URU. What conclusion are you drawing about URU Live?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:59 pm 

You're right. I missed that. However, that doesn't mean my opinion is not right, just that I currently have a lack of evidence for it. Other than the fact that it makes more sense than GameTap being able to give international access to their servers for Uru, but not for other games. That does not make sense to me.