It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:57 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Standalone log in?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:26 am 
Obduction Backer

Where is this standalone beta login thingie everyone is talking about? I can't find it on Game Tap, they told me to go to Cyan and I can't find it there either. Am I the only player not to have got it? It seems as if everybody is in beta but me. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:35 am 

At the moment, we're still not in open beta. Currently you can enter the beta if and only if you are in one or both of these groups:

1. The Uru "Preview" beta testing team. There are IIRC several thousand people in this category, but the only way in is by invitation (and the signup is closed). These people have access to the standalone launcher.
2. Gametap users. Gametap is currently having a "sneak peek" that allows any subscriber to access Uru, but through the Gametap interface.

The situation will change when the sneak peek ends on Dec. 18th and the next phase of beta starts on the 20th. For more information about this new phase see this topic. (Note: If you're not in Gametap and you're not in beta already, there is still a possibility that you'll get into this next beta phase!)

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:54 am 
Obduction Backer

Owehn,

Mystical indicated that she IS a GameTap user. So she's in group 2.... but wants to be able to launch Uru standalone rather than through GameTap, if possible.

Theoretically it should be possible, but only if the powers that be authorize letting the GameTap players download the standalone program.

BUT... I've heard a rumor that once UL is downloaded from GameTap, though, by poking around in the download directory and creating a shortcut to the Myst Online exe, it can be launched independently (that it doesn't require GameTap to be active to launch). But because I have the standalone client installed already, I have not attempted to try this.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:04 am 

Marten wrote:
BUT... I've heard a rumor that once UL is downloaded from GameTap, though, by poking around in the download directory and creating a shortcut to the Myst Online exe, it can be launched independently (that it doesn't require GameTap to be active to launch). But because I have the standalone client installed already, I have not attempted to try this.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Yes. It's the exact same client, just installed within a GameTap directory structure. A shortcut works fine.

Whether it will remain like this after launch is another question.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:02 am 

Marten wrote:
Owehn,

Mystical indicated that she IS a GameTap user. So she's in group 2.... but wants to be able to launch Uru standalone rather than through GameTap, if possible.

I couldn't tell from her post whether she was using the client or had been checking Gametap's website or customer service. I decided a more complete answer couldn't hurt.

KI# 45434

Post subject: standalone
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:06 am 
Obduction Backer

Sorry, I'm not a GameTapper. I tried to join but I can't because I'm in Australia. I'd heard that other people were getting in through this standalone business and I wrote to both GameTap and Cyan yesterday as well as posting a question on this forum. GameTap replied and said go to Cyan.

Guess I'll just have to go out in the garden and eat worms. :cry:

BTW, I DID sign up for the beta early on, but had no invitation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:19 am 

Good news: Australia is a supported country! You'll be eligible for the next phase of beta if more testers are needed, and you can join live from launch day 1. The only difference is an extra 3 USD each month for the administrative cost of making Uru Live available in so many countries.

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:15 am 
Obduction Backer

Thanks Owehn - I read more out of Mystical's statement than I should have! :oops: I must remember people may mean either the GT interface *or* the website...

Post subject: standalone
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:25 am 
Obduction Backer

Owehn wrote:
Good news: Australia is a supported country! You'll be eligible for the next phase of beta if more testers are needed, and you can join live from launch day 1. The only difference is an extra 3 USD each month for the administrative cost of making Uru Live available in so many countries.

IF more testers are needed? How will I know?

US$3 extra -- this game is getting more expensive by the minute. I've already upgraded to a new computer and subscribed to faster broadband. Yikes! Oh well, it's only money. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:53 am 
Obduction Backer

There will be a sign-up page for new testers shortly. I don't know if it'll start from 20th or before though.

NB That's only for listed countries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:45 pm 

Currently (and this is important, it may change later) you can start Uru Live through GameTap 2 different ways.

1. Navigate to the Uru Live directory in GameTap, defaultly C:\Program Files\GameTap\volumes\games\140000150\data, and run UruLauncher.exe. It will eventually prompt you for logon.

2. Start GameTap, log in. Navigate to the Uru Live infocard and start playing. In this case, it will NOT prompt for login.

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

Greydragon said that he would be posting signups for international users (in authorized countries such as Australia) to join open beta sometime in this coming week.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]