It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:23 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:37 am 

That's just fine. (Being yourself, I mean, not the headache.)

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:51 am 
Obduction Backer

i am IC but i will bang heads with some IC players.

this is IC

Quote:
i do not like the DRC i am on yeesha side and wish i should find a way to link without books like yeesha and also i theink Phil found out how to do the also.

now look at this

Quote:
hey did you see where they hard a big fire to day in LA.

some IC players will have a hard time with this, how ever by the rules of the IC players that the events of the cavern are happening right now then that quote is also IC. in fact to some one IC there can be no OCC or RP

if the the events of D'ni is happening in the real world the all real world events have to be IC.

if something can be done or said in the real world the is is IC.

it is the IC players who say you can not talk about a football game or talke abut anything that happens in the real world that i will bang heads with.[/code]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:57 am 
Obduction Backer

I agree with Merc. Surface happenings are fine as part of IC. Technical things and Cyan aren't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

A big difference between URU and other multiplayer games is that the characters in URU are real people living on/in a modern-day earth and not orcs, Jedi knights or wenches in a far off age, land, or planet. Thus, the difference between IC and OOC is narrower and can be quite blurry. Most people, even those playing basically themselves will pretty much be in character automatically. We can discuss how great the Colts are while we are exploring and still be in character. This, however, doesn't mean that it's impossible to disrupt others' IC experience (e.g., "Man, this story line is lame."), just more difficult.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:56 pm 

Agreed.

Hey, I stood in the Ferry Terminal the other day and listened to a long discussion about Japanese Manga. Seemed perfectly normal to me. URU. Heck, what do you talk about over a cup of joe with anyone you meet on a camping trip? You find a common topic and talk about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yeah Douglas Sharpers Journals are full of him going to the surface to see football games etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

In my opinion, people are going to talk about whatever they want to talk about. You can't count on strict roleplay. To me it's all perfectly fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:49 am 

Of course we're going to talk about ordinary everyday RL things; we came from the surface IC and OOC alike :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

.shorah :)

I just felt like I need to add my 2 cents, even though some of this has already been said.

***Disclaimer: The following comments are my own personal opinions, and are not intended to be objective statements that I stubbornly think everyone should agree with :)

I hate semantics :( The whole IC=In Character vs. In Cavern thing, the idea that playing a fictional character or just basically pretending the game is real can (from one perspective) both be considered RP-ing, etc. I understand that words can be inadequate, and so often different people have different definitions of the same terms, but semantics just kind of irritate me :( I think we just all need to keep in mind that none of our definitions can be perfect. Instead of taking a person's individual words at face value, we need to examine their entire set of comments before trying to interpret them. Debating the semantic value of someone's words just makes this topic needlessly complicated.

I don't want to sound like I'm arguing semantics :), but for my own personal clarification, I like to abandon the terms "In Character" (IC) and "Out Of Character" (OOC). "Role Playing" (RP) works fine, I think, but since the term "Character" has somewhat of an RP context, I prefer to not use it. I think of IC as "Immersive Playing" or IP, and OOC as "Game Playing" or GP. Again, just my personal terms that I use, but I kind of think that they might be helpful. Let me explain:

Immersive Play (IP) people treat Uru like it's real. They always talk about "exploring" such-and-such an Age/area, "figuring out" such-and-such a machine/area/etc., interacting with such-and-such a "person", being involved in such-and-such an "experience", and so forth. Game Play (GP) people treat Uru as a game. It's not that they NEVER approach Uru in the IP way I just described, because sometimes they certainly do (more or less depending on the person). But unlike the IP people, GP people are just as likely, if not more likely to talk about "playing" such-and-such and Age/area, "solving" such-and-such a "puzzle", interacting with such-and-such a "character" (DRC, etc.), being involved in such-and-such a "storyline", and so forth.

Those who are strictly IP people (i.e., those who want a completely realistic, Immersive experience) should be understanding if the words "play", "puzzle", "storyline", etc. slip out from time to time :); what bothers them is when they encounter GP people who freely, openly, unthinkingly, and continually use that kind of terminology, regardless of who they're around. It is this kind of action that destroys the Immersive experience that IP people desire.

I'm not suggesting that the IP perspective is inherently superior, and the GP people just need to accept that :P What I AM saying is that I personally don't see the difficulty in taking a very BASIC IP approach to conversation when you're around people whose preference you're not sure of. If you're alone with a person/group of people that you know are fine with GP talk, that's great. But given that the Myst games have always been meant to be immersive by nature, I think it stands to reason that a very BASIC IP approach is a considerate "public default", as it were :)

If a person has a tech problem, a question about Cyan, some confusion about part of the plot, etc., or if they just feel the need to make some kind of GP comment, there shouldn't be anything wrong with them asking/speaking to someone in Uru about it; although it would be a considerate thing to bring the person aside (rather than speak openly for all in the room to hear), and perhaps speak in an ever-so-slightly hushed tone ;) But if a person has lots of GP questions/comments, it would be more appropriate/considerate to save them for a place where GP questions/comments are expected and encouraged (a web board, etc.).

As for discussing Real Life in Uru, I don't see any problem with it. Both the GP and the IP people are "Real Life" people from the surface; only some of the RP people are not. Since they all come from the surface, and since they are able to link to different Ages, to Relto, to the Cavern, to the Surface, and so forth, it stands to reason that sometimes they link to the Surface to go home, wherever they came from; it stands to reason that many of them have jobs, school, family life, non-Cavern-related social lives, etc., and that visiting the D'ni Cavern and the D'ni Ages is only one part of their life as a human from Earth, rather than something that consumes every waking hour of their life :) Even Sharper has made numerous references to Real Life/Surface events (particularly the New England Patriots :)), so it's not as if we're supposed to pretend that the Surface World beyond the Cleft doesn't exist ;) Uru happens on Earth, and it happens NOW.

Finally (I hope you've stayed with me this far :P), I honestly don't know much about the RP crowd in Uru. I understand that some people, rather than make Uru a completely immersive experience, tend to take a basically IP approach, except they create and play a new character instead of being themselves--new look, new personality, new background/history, etc. But I honestly don't know anything about RP people who "create fan storylines which contain scripted events and overarching plotlines", as the initial post stated, nor about the people who take on the role of a D'ni, as was mentioned later. Could someone enlighten me on this subject? :)

Anyways, sorry for rambling on for so long, and for repeating (if re-wording) a lot of what has already been said, but I just felt I needed to express myself on this subject.

.chev shem

[email protected]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:34 am 

Well, after all the smileys in [email protected]'s post, I'm happy!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:37 am 

well, there could have been some annimated ones :roll: but i suppose im happy too :lol:

-Calliope KI#00193315 (MO:UL)
-Pixel KI#00189718 (MO:UL)
-Pink KI#07856185 (MO:UL)

President of the ResEng fan club ;)
Bound by reasonable constraints, the Angel of Boundless Possibilities ponders escape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

I find smileys very helpful in portraying my emotions, facial expressions, tone of voice, etc. in a text medium like a web board :P

And given that I'm rather new to this particular board, I'm not familiar with all of the smileys like I am at MystCommunity, so I apologize if I seemed to use the same ones too much :)

[email protected]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:06 pm 

Finally (I hope you've stayed with me this far :P), I honestly don't know much about the RP crowd in Uru. I understand that some people, rather than make Uru a completely immersive experience, tend to take a basically IP approach, except they create and play a new character instead of being themselves--new look, new personality, new background/history, etc.

OOC-> that would be me. Actually, "Cyd" is quite a lot like me, meaning I can talk about things happening on the surface, except I would never go spelunking in a cavern and do death-defying leaps or voluntarily step into hip-high water... So "Cyd" is needed for me to make URU feel more real.

The trick is to recognize the strict-RPers, it sucks to break their buzz after all, and you can use their buzz to increase your own buzz... So, if I speak about other games, it's because I got a computer in my relto, with a link to the internet, courtesy of a Bahro I bribed with honeycakes... I usually play in windowed mode, see, so keep updated with what happens on the surface, real-time (by an update to my KI given by the afore-mentioned Bahro that keeps me connected to the computer in my Relto...). If I crash to desktop it's the teleporter I "borrowed" from the HalfLife2-universe that's acting up again... I just wish I had the rope-arrows from the Thief-series...

And... I get to talk about bugs in URU while being "Cyd" because both I and "Cyd" are programmers/techie geeks real life... If the bus out of cavern is late, it's because the algorithm for scheduling buses was designed by baboons hyped up on speed at the time (that's my current theory anyway), or there is a buffer-overflow of cars... Beautiful sunsets are obviously due to Earth having upgraded its graphics card etc. :D

But I honestly don't know anything about RP people who "create fan storylines which contain scripted events and overarching plotlines", as the initial post stated, nor about the people who take on the role of a D'ni, as was mentioned later. Could someone enlighten me on this subject? :)

During the days of Until Uru the only possibility for new content was what you RPed or hacked in. So some people RPed and some people hacked. As with all strict-RP the role you are playing may overwhelm the player so that the player loses control of events. This has been discussed in this forum and others before (but the threads are gone now I think), I even have had it happen to me (I occasionally do table-top RPGs in real life), which is another reason why I never play as me :wink:

There is a particular danger with strict-RPing in a close-to-reality game like URU: if an RP-character dies/is made to die because the player behind the character has tired of playing, the people that has responded in RP-mode or thinks that it's IC might think that the actual player has died, complete with ensuing drama. AFAIK this has happened at least once here already.

I am yet to meet anyone who play strictly as D'ni but I guess they would be safe from the danger just mentioned above of other people "buying" the character completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:36 pm 

It should also be added or noted that, in light of recent events, insulting or flaming someone from an IC perspective is no more acceptable from flaming them OOC; you cannot call names, be condescending, or start fights IC, then come back an hour later and say, "but I was just role-playing!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:57 am 
Obduction Backer

Calam wrote:
It should also be added or noted that, in light of recent events, insulting or flaming someone from an IC perspective is no more acceptable from flaming them OOC; you cannot call names, be condescending, or start fights IC, then come back an hour later and say, "but I was just role-playing!"

If your char does that, IC, then they're going to have to accept the consequences IC, simple as that.
You can RP a meanie, but then that char is going to be considered as such.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next