It is currently Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:41 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:26 pm 

Hey,

not a suggestion, since this isn't anymore the case..

Just a fact..

There is ways of development that allow you to make it to run in several OSs since the beggining... look at the vendetta on line, a very small game (yet) but they make it for everybody.

Maybe there are much linuxers, so you can make it.. but you are considering the bad propaganda that people can do...

That makes me remember of the Star Trk cancelation.. why would they waist money i a show that almost none where watching? Isn't the same the old women washing dishes and the (that rae millions) and the few geeks of some universities? Of course NO... only matters the total numbers..

That litle capacity of seeing is terrible. It shows you won't go anywhere in tha long run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

What?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:42 pm 

The lack of an Uru Live version for Linux is related to the cancellation of Star Trek: Enterprise?

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:48 pm 

Money is the bottom line here and the cost to develop the game to work on other platforms. It has nothing to do with shortsightedness or exclusion. The number of players on supported platforms far outweighs the unsupported platforms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

Unfortunately, the "ways of development" for a game like Uru would be quite complex to make it Linux compatible... or to have attempted it from the beginning.

If Cyan had thought they could recoup the cost of developing for Linux and actually secure enough customers to make it cost-effective, I'm sure they would have looked into it. The harsh reality is that there aren't enough Linux-only users interested in a Linux version of Uru for Cyan to even consider it at this time.

Besides, the Mac folks are ahead of you in the line. Now that the new physics engine has been implemented, they might actually see a Mac version. And they represent a much greater market share than the Linux users, I believe...
---------------------
Edit: I UNcapitalized MAC... er... Mac. Sorry. :oops: :)

Last edited by Reverend Vader on Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:53 pm 

*cough* Please don't capitalize Mac. ;)

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:03 pm 

remember, we're not just talking about cyan here. when released, uru will be through gametap exclusively (if i'm reading things right) and you will have to use gametap's portal to download and play uru. the chances of gametap ever doing a linux version are pretty much nil. in fact, since intel based macs can also run windows, they probably aren't in a big rush to do an os x version either. bottom line: as much as you might not like it, if you want to play uru live, you need to run windows. thats what the majority runs, thats where the money is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

when I take off my tinfoil hat, it makes perfect sense to me...

But seriously folks, I don't think anyone made a conscious decision to exclude Linux/Unix/Your personal preference of OS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:17 pm 

it's not a matter of consciously excluding linux/bsd/whetever, it's an economic reality. there are only x number of development dollars so they need to be spent where there will be the most bang for the buck. this is a for profit business after all. i'm sure that if there was unlimited funding and resources they'd love to put out versions for every os out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

HeadCheese wrote:
But seriously folks, I don't think anyone made a conscious decision to exclude Linux/Unix/Your personal preference of OS.

As a developer, I can tell you that you are absolutely wrong.

Developers LOVE to work with new and exciting things, and new/non-mainstream OS's are in that category.

Publishers LOVE to have their product be bought by as many people as possible.

Both developers and publishers definitely considered Uru for Linux, Macintosh, and any other OS out there. Some, like BeOS were a very quick decision. There's NO users of that OS, so there's no profit there.

But Linux and OS/X ... Those are getting bigger all the time. You can't just ignore them.

You can bet they took a look at the market and figured out that it would cost them more to make it cross-platform than they would re-coup in the next few years.

It's a simple business decision, not a vendetta against any particular OS. It was definitely a conscious decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:20 pm 

Firesign wrote:
remember, we're not just talking about cyan here. when released, uru will be through gametap exclusively (if i'm reading things right) and you will have to use gametap's portal to download and play uru. the chances of gametap ever doing a linux version are pretty much nil. in fact, since intel based macs can also run windows, they probably aren't in a big rush to do an os x version either. bottom line: as much as you might not like it, if you want to play uru live, you need to run windows. thats what the majority runs, thats where the money is.

Actually, the GameTap website does imply that a Mac version has been in the works.

https://account.gametap.com/storefront/ ... acUser.jsp
Quote:
GameTap is not yet compatible with Macintosh computers, but we're working on it.

"Not yet"; "we're working on it".

And as for Uru itself, for now it runs okay without the GameTap client, and will continue to do so at least for international users, so I'm not sure that will ever be locked out either.

Just sayin'.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:32 pm 

Quote:
GameTap is not yet compatible with Macintosh computers, but we're working on it.

"Not yet"; "we're working on it".

And as for Uru itself, for now it runs okay without the GameTap client, and will continue to do so at least for international users, so I'm not sure that will ever be locked out either.

Just sayin'.

i've seen "we're working on it" about mac versions of other software for years without any results too. just sayin'. :) i use mac/windows/linux myself, so i don't want to give the impression that i'm slamming macs.
as far as not using the gametap client, i was listening to one of the cavern today podcasts and they were interviewing one of the gametap honchos. he was saying that they are developing international versions of gametap and are currently working out the licensing, taxation, and other issues involved in doing that. the implication here is that, yes, eventually it will become through gametap only. he also implied that once this happens there would be substantial performance improvements, which suggests to me that many of the bottlenecks are being caused by the handoff to whever cyan is currently hosting the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:35 pm 

Firesign wrote:
as far as not using the gametap client, i was listening to one of the cavern today podcasts and they were interviewing one of the gametap honchos. he was saying that they are developing international versions of gametap and are currently working out the licensing, taxation, and other issues involved in doing that. the implication here is that, yes, eventually it will become through gametap only.

Indeed. My understanding is that, in January, GameTap will launch in the UK. That still leaves another 11 countries without the service, however, none of them with announced launches thus far.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

You know, this guy joined just to day to make one post dissing Uru Live? And he didn't even say anything about Uru Live in particular? My guess is spam bot, but either way, I'm going to ignore it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think this post is pretty laughable, personally.

Cyan and Gametap are companies like everybody else. And how many game companies make products for Linux? Few to none.

It is a very very small market share and if you want to play PC games, you don't go to Linux. Its as simple as that.

It is not Cyan's job to cater their product to every conceivable platform available. So don't get your hopes up for a Unix or Solaris version either.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next