It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:15 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

For a Linux user what's the problem in making room for a small windows partition, even if just for the sake of playing Uru?

Morningstar - KI#1053460
Please avoid drinking the lake water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:23 pm 

Morningstar wrote:
For a Linux user what's the problem in making room for a small windows partition, even if just for the sake of playing Uru?

i don't see a problem with that, except for those who absolutely refuse to run windows for any reason (such as my boss. :D )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:41 pm 

Very sad that you decided to try and start a flame topic. Evil evil Cyan with limited funding how dare they not support Linux. Rand must be the devil.

Pathetic...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

The only thing that prevent me from switching to linux is games...

Yes, Cyan isn't the only one not making a linux version. But that doesn't means it's the right thing to do...

Why not install windows and linux ?? Windows isn't free.. Plus dualboot is sometimes annoying.

And then, MacOSX and linux are both unix-based. It's not this hard making a compatible code if you takes this in account from the start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

Whilyam wrote:
Very sad that you decided to try and start a flame topic. Evil evil Cyan with limited funding how dare they not support Linux. Rand must be the devil.

Pathetic...

So well put...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:28 pm 

Apreantly WINE could run it however Uru is using some network protocols which are updated.

I'm sure a Linux pruist would be contributing and improving things. Don't ask me which, I like proprietry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:33 pm 

Last time I checked, it would crash in WINE.

Regardless...as much as I love Linux, I don't mind there not being an Uru Live client for it. It would be nice to have, but it could wait until the future, perhaps when there's enough funds to actually do it.

If you read the support topic for it, they said that they hope to have Linux support in the future...So let's wait and see what happens. If you're basing your playing the game on whether they support Linux, well...it's very sad you decided to make Linux support your deciding factor. =/

KI #00449231

Last edited by Samui on Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

EowynCarter wrote:
Why not install windows and linux ?? Windows isn't free.. Plus dualboot is sometimes annoying.

Most pcs nowadays come with windows installed... I know that not everyone wants to buy a ready-to-use pc, but at a certain point these issues are implicit in making some choices.
I'm not trying to argue against linux, I use it for both work and fun, and yes I have a partition and I choose OS at each boot, but I don't find it more annoying than installing packages in my linux distribution each time I'm trying something new. :P

Choosing Linux as your only OS implies certain well known sacrifices, just like using just Windows or Mac. I wouldn't complain with a company that makes entertainment products for not considering a small fraction of its market at launch.

Morningstar - KI#1053460
Please avoid drinking the lake water.

Last edited by Morningstar on Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:34 pm 

invisible_swordman wrote:
Hey,
"not a suggestion, since this isn't anymore the case.."

"That litle capacity of seeing is terrible. It shows you won't go anywhere in tha long run."

In my opinion, threats aren't the best way to make a good impression on the company.

To have the game run on three platforms, would require three times the testing, to make sure there's no bugs for either platform. That said, they probably are working on a Mac version. They will have more tickets to deal with, when it comes out.

Also, it is my understanding that Star Trek was prime time, so I don't think it was ever considered a show for just housewives. I'm not old enough to remember its cancellation, though. Obviously, you would have us believe that you are.

Gathered Restorers Awaiting To Explore For URU Lives

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:45 pm 

EowynCarter wrote:
And then, MacOSX and linux are both unix-based. It's not this hard making a compatible code if you takes this in account from the start.

Mac OS X and Linux both come with a comprehensive POSIX API implementation, and also share a lot fo other APIs, but they also have many specific APIs. The notion that porting to one eases porting the other is a gross simplification.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

You chose to use a marginalized OS. You chose to run on an OS that's known for not supporting most games.

Your choice. Don't blame Cyan for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Most pcs nowadays come with windows installed...

Yeah. I found it annoying having to buy a windows with my laptop. (I did have a windows already)
But that is another debate ;)

The first thing I did with my Laptop was "format c:" and reinstall a clean windows.

At last, uru live dosn't use anything weird, and should and working on wine someday. I don't ask for more :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

chucker wrote:
EowynCarter wrote:

Mac OS X and Linux both come with a comprehensive POSIX API implementation, and also share a lot fo other APIs, but they also have many specific APIs. The notion that porting to one eases porting the other is a gross simplification.

Actually, porting from a single platform to any second platform DOES make it easier to port to any third platform. It forces you to properly separate your code. The fact that OS/X is Linux-based is just a huge, huge bonus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:35 pm 

I almost forgot that I have an old Apple 2E and a Commodore 64 sitting around here somewhere. Why can't I play the game on those? Geesh what's wrong with CYAN. Not only do they not port the game to ALL OS's they don't even make their games backwards compatable to older systems. This game will never go anywhere until I can play it on my IBM PC junior with my 2400 baud modem and an 8088 CPU with 64K or was it 32K ram.

lol
/rotfl about this post...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:42 pm 

wccrawford wrote:
Actually, porting from a single platform to any second platform DOES make it easier to port to any third platform. It forces you to properly separate your code.

Well, sure.

Quote:
The fact that OS/X is Linux-based is just a huge, huge bonus.

OS X is not "Linux-based".

(Or something.)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next