It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:59 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

Here's a simple suggestion: Since the KI is meant to be an IC (In-cavern) device, and not a OOC (out-of cavern/character) videogame menu, why does the KI mention when a user is "online" or "offline?"

Shouldn't the terminology be consistent? Why not replace it with user "is in Cavern" or user is "on the lattice?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:00 pm 

The KI is "online" in that it's on. When you leave the game, it's often IC to say you shut off your KI. The reason DRC don't pop on and off like this is because they supposedly have special KIs or higher level KIs that don't show themselves to us low-life explorers ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Or, simply, the KI doesn't work on the surface except maybe on special places like the Cleft which, being close to D'ni tunnels, might have some repeaters extending the range of the KI. When the KI is out of the range of the lattice, it is marked "offline". :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:01 pm 

Ian Atrus wrote:
Or, simply, the KI doesn't work on the surface except maybe on special places like the Cleft which, being close to D'ni tunnels, might have some repeaters extending the range of the KI. When the KI is out of the range of the lattice, it is marked "offline". :wink:

It should work everywhere on Earth. When I'm in other Ages it works just fine. I guess an IC explanation would be people turn off their KI's when they get back to the surface.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:33 pm 

Monkeyboy wrote:
It should work everywhere on Earth. When I'm in other Ages it works just fine. I guess an IC explanation would be people turn off their KI's when they get back to the surface.

Hypothesis:
We have unconfirmed informations that the maintainers' marks in each age are going to function as a datum point for a Great Zero link coordination system. We also know from the events several years ago that the GZ coordination system doesn't work on the surface. It works only in the cavern (city, hoods, balconies).

If the maintainers' marks are working as responder and forwarder for KI messages then we might explain why the KI doesn't work on the surface of Earth.

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

Monkeyboy wrote:
It should work everywhere on Earth. When I'm in other Ages it works just fine.

We've visited pretty small areas of the other Ages, and all of them had a Maintainer's mark in them. Do we know for sure which is the range of a D'ni transmitter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:37 pm 

In Complete Chronicles, [spoiler]The KI did not receive coordinates if you were at the Great Shaft or farther away, and when you were in the Cleft it said "D'ni Riltahgahmin" (Unknown D'ni). So I'd conclude that the KI either shows "D'ni Riltahgahmin" everywhere on the surface, or that its range peters out as you get farther from D'ni.[/spoiler]

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:25 pm 

Ok, then, it may not work on the Surface. Therefore, I retract my statment and lean more towards Ian Atrus's explaination. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:57 pm 

The Noble Robot wrote:
Here's a simple suggestion: Since the KI is meant to be an IC (In-cavern) device, and not a OOC (out-of cavern/character) videogame menu, why does the KI mention when a user is "online" or "offline?"

On that note, why does the KI have a list of "Age Players"? :?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

www2 wrote:
On that note, why does the KI have a list of "Age Players"? :?

Good question! That category needs to be renamed. "In Age" or something like that.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:33 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
The KI is "online" in that it's on. When you leave the game, it's often IC to say you shut off your KI.

That's a good explanation, but it doesn't explain "Age Players," and it's too much like Internet lingo to be a coincidence.

I really hope that Cyan changes the terminology, because I think it really ruins immersion, which is what MOUL is all about :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:41 am 

The Noble Robot wrote:
Quote:
The KI is "online" in that it's on. When you leave the game, it's often IC to say you shut off your KI.

That's a good explanation, but it doesn't explain "Age Players," and it's too much like Internet lingo to be a coincidence.

"Online" today most typically refers to the Internet, but used to refer to virtually any active device. Old printers and keyboards, for instance, used to have an "online" button and LED. It's nothing particularly Internet-related.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
It's nothing particularly Internet-related.

Well, that's technically true, although I defy to you find many common instances that don't involve data networks or are purposely trying to trade on web terminology... but, even in this case, "online" has a double-meaning. It may very well mean that a user's KI is on the lattice (IC), but it definitely means that a player is, well, online (OOC).

Now, honestly, you can't tell me that Cyan decided that online/offline would be a perfect way to describe IC explorer states, can you? It is more than likely that cyan meant it to mean what it means in every other game and online forum in the world, that a "player" is connected to the "server."

Plus, you still can't explain "Age Players," can you?

I'm just arguing for a more "D'ni" set of terms. Even if you're right, and Cyan wanted to use this to mean "on the lattice," I'd still argue that it's confusing and connotes OOC terms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:56 pm 

Perhaps, when translating the KI, the DRC wanted to give expolorers a friendly interface, and therefore the internet metaphor for KIs, as most people would be able to identify with such a terminology, whereas if you had to explain what each meant it would detract from the usability of the KI or something.

Just throwing that out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:01 am 
Obduction Backer

No, no, no,

I'm not looking for a fan-wank apologist's explanation for this mistake, I'm hoping that they just fix it.

C'mon, no offense, all of these are perfectly reasonable explanations, but we just shouldn't need them.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next