It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:44 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

So I got a question I just thought of. You have to be a Gametap subscriber to use the game. So if you get the window where you can name your explorer/visitor (come Feb. 15th) we know you're paying for it. The "Visitor" slot was for people who weren't paying, limited their options and meant to make them want to pay and play.

So, since you have to be a paying customer to get to that spot anyways, what's the use of the visitor slot? Is it just so you can have another avvie after you've used up your 5 explorers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:52 pm 

That's a good question, cause I'd like to know how to use that so I can invite a couple of visitors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

What you describe is the current situation but I am sure that will change once the game is released officially.

That being said, for a while it was possible to accidently create a second account when signing up for the preview open beta. It has happened to me and that second account can only be used to create a visitor.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:11 pm 

Dan'nee wrote:
So I got a question I just thought of. You have to be a Gametap subscriber to use the game. So if you get the window where you can name your explorer/visitor (come Feb. 15th) we know you're paying for it. The "Visitor" slot was for people who weren't paying, limited their options and meant to make them want to pay and play.

So, since you have to be a paying customer to get to that spot anyways, what's the use of the visitor slot? Is it just so you can have another avvie after you've used up your 5 explorers?

they could possibly use it for, say, a time and/or feature limited standalone "demo" version of uru that people can download so they can have a look around a relto and maybe the city or solve the cleft or something like that.
as they say, the first one is always free. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

I believe that will probably be the way it works, for the most part.

It's possible that full-fledged explorers will be able to send invitations with a link for newcomers to download the Uru Live client... or even a demo version of the client. In any case, people curious about Uru will have some way of downloading it to give it a try.

Upon logging in, the only option they'll have is to create a visitor. If they then decided to upgrade to Explorer status, their visitor will be converted to a full-fledged explorer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:15 pm 

Firesign wrote:
Dan'nee wrote:

they could possibly use it for, say, a time and/or feature limited standalone "demo" version of uru that people can download so they can have a look around a relto and maybe the city or solve the cleft or something like that.

Why would you want to download a demo of something you got in the original Uru? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

The demo would be for people who have never played Uru, not people who have Complete Chronicles on their desktop. Although, even if you already bought the original Uru, if you get a demo and a visitor you will be able to talk to some people and see how the multiplayer stuff works.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:20 pm 

GAThrawn wrote:
Firesign wrote:
Dan'nee wrote:

Why would you want to download a demo of something you got in the original Uru? :?

well, quite possibly because the original (boxed) version of uru is incompatible with mo:ul since mo:ul uses a different physics engine, network code, etc. plus, if i remember right, uru:cc had the network component stripped out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

Actually, I believe "visitors" will be able to download the full version... they just won't have access to certain areas of the game.

(When the "Visitor bug" reared it's head after the December final beta launch, some Explorers found their avatars temporarily downgraded to Visitor status. I believe they where unable to access the Cleft book totem in their Reltos. But they were still able to visit the neighborhood and City.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Firesign wrote:
plus, if i remember right, uru:cc had the network component stripped out.

No, CC worked just fine with D'mala. But yes, the original, including CC, is incompatible with the current Uru Live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
No, CC worked just fine with D'mala.
Only because the patch reverted it to ABM 1.0.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

Edit: I was replying to Dan'nee's comment while Rusty posted his.

Not exactly. CC had/has to be (in essence) converted back to the final beta version of the original Uru Live by the appropriate patcher in order to be compatible with Until Uru. Complete Chronicles itself was not/is not actually compatible with D'mala.

Now the Alcugs folks had developed an independent server code that used CC and actually gave us a (mostly) working online version of PotS... but you probably know that already. But none of the online PotS/CC shards were actually "Until Uru" or even developed by Cyan.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:37 pm 

Oh boy <Smacks head with hand>

Since it was released I have been trying to figure out why Delin has felt different then the other ages; It's meant for the visitors!

Thanks for starting this thread, ya gota love those "Eureka!" moments.. :lol:

[spoiler]
After reading this thread that's the one thing that makes sense. All visitors are supposed to have access to the hoods, and the city thru the nexus. Uru is all about the People and the Ages, so it stands to reason that there would be some limited ages kicking around in visitor areas. They come in check out the hood and have access to a mini-age that gives them a feel for the bigger ages without needing a invite to someones age.
[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

I played for a while with my accidental visitor account. I believe visitor accounts were still under development at the time so it would probably just cause confusion if I told you exactly which parts could be played.

All I will say is that I could do more than I had expected which I ticketed as a bug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:30 pm 
Cyan Employee

I'll post this information shortly.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next