It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:56 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:35 pm 

Today, Cate Alexander appeared for a chat and revealed that advertisements in the cavern are under discussion. While I am not opposed to tasteful, unobtrusive advertisements, I am concerned. In the United States, we all know how reactive network television media can be to disgruntled advertisers. I can't count how many times an entertainment program was canceled or altered as a direct result of boycotts of advertisers by consumers ? While Uru is like a television network, if Cyan and/or GameTap allows in-cavern advertisers, I'm concerned the advertisers might start dictating content. I hope Cyan and GameTap are very careful with this possibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

I could be completely wrong, but my gut reaction is that this was just 'part of the show', and not something that would actually happen. Though don't quote me on that :P

"Never put Dolby on snake detectors"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:42 pm 

I'm for it, but inasmuch as it can be for practical things in the Cavern. We don't need ads for motor oil, but we could all use ads for lamps or rapelling ropes, or even ready-to-cook meals... "Just add a firemarble!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm going to assume this is an OOC issue? Well, whatever, of course no one's going to like them, but if it helps get money for Cyan, that's good I suppose.

Sometimes (with issues like this) the ambiguity of the OOC/IC split is frustrating to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:23 pm 

It has been confirmed, that this is an IC AND an OOC issue.

My opinion: if advertisements helps Cyan and MOUL, bring it on.

And: I´d like to say, that letting in international players might help the funding - I´m waiting for six months now, and I´m ready to wait as long as it takes - but I fear, not every international player will - so please, let us in! :)

My IC-blog for exploration and age building:
http://dniworlds.rabenschwinge.com/blog/wordpress/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:29 pm 

Is there a funding shortfall? If so, what further finance is needed? Will revenue generated by billboards satisfy said shortfall?

Last edited by pete22 on Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:33 pm 

pete22 wrote:
Is there a funding shortfall? If so, what further finance is needed? Will revenue generated by billboards satisfy said shortfall?

I think that's the question they're trying to answer. We'll see what happens.

I'm going to cross-post what I said on the DRC forums:

A very important thought...

When D'mala first started, I recall asking Blake about what Gametap had planned advertisement-wise. He said they were going to initiate a big media-blitz shortly before launch.

A media-blitz which never happened. And now we're paying for it. I don't think this is Cyan's fault; I think it's Gametap's. They're funding, so it's their job to advertise. Cyan just does the work.

Honestly, I don't have a problem with advertising in-game. I can say that if it's managed well, then it will certainly help the revenue issue. But right now... too many people are losing interest too quickly. There's not enough content to attract people on its own, and the story still requires almost 0 participation to experience. I can catch up on the news without even getting into the game.

Ads are a good idea and I hope they help. I just don't want to see D'ni turn into a poster-factory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:34 pm 

If it means more money for keeping the cavern open then I am all for advertisements personally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm in favour, if it will help to keep UrU going and if it will boost productivity at Cyan (meaning more Cyanists :).

I tried to give some suggestions during the discussion in the Watchers Sanctuary (which seems to get it's old function of meeting and discussion room back). I'll repeat them here to throw in my 2 cents:

What I consider ok:
1. dynamic advertising with sound during start up
2. dynamic advertising with sound during game shut down
3. dynamic advertising without sound during loading of ages
4. cool branded t-shirts and caps

By dynamic I mean different every time (every now and then) and loaded of their servers on the fly.

Loading times are long enough to boost a bit of info about upcoming Gametap games or other stuff. Kinda like the info given during Windows XP and Office install. Sound is a no-go when loading ages as far as I am concerned.

What I consider not ok:
a. bill boards in the city or any other age
b. boards with advertising to walk around with ;)
c. imagers with blazing ads

Actually ads on the imagers could be ok if they are IC. Like Northface pushing usefull explorerstuff through the hood imagers :D

Please comment, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:42 pm 

"cool branded T-shirts" OOC are not available - a desirable item which I am sure many within the cavern would buy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:45 pm 

Would Myst Book revenue help at all? Is it time to reprint them? If if only print to order? Now seems like a better time than any other to make copies of the books available for purchase instead of scrounging.

Placement will be key. I've no problems with clothing adverts. T-shirts and such as well as name-brand shoes and junk.(though that comes with a caveat of new clothing models, etc.)

How about inbetween links where the book icon usually is. An ad there?
GFX Chipset companies should be available for adverts like that.

Post subject: ads
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:48 pm 

Umm. Could I get a google search bar added to my Ki, Relto Imager and to the Neighborhood imager? I could stand the ads I think they are double funny. They can even track what imagers i visit in the Game if they want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:52 pm 

I need to know whether these are IC or OOC ads Cate is talking about. Given that she is an IC character, I think her idea is that the DRC does not have enough money or manpower (10,000 explorers, anyone?) and needs ads to increase income. She would put clothing items as ads and maybe billboards in Ae'gura. She can not touch in-linking screen or startup and shutdown because they do not exist IC. On that front, I think that ads for the surface in the cavern are not as useful as ads for the cavern on the surface.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:11 pm 

Rabenschwinge wrote:

Where has this been confirmed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:14 pm 

sculp wrote:
Rabenschwinge wrote:

Where has this been confirmed?

This is a good question. I'm expecting reduced fees if they're putting ads in.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next