It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:56 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:06 pm 

Okay, I just looked up information on Jalak, sounds interesting, but what's bugging me right now is this line posted on Xavius Clayborne's blog:

Quote:
"Rocks fall on you, you die." - Daryll Pogue, explaining what happens when rocks fall on you

Who is Daryll Pogue (the only other Google hit is for some ornithologist, and I don't expect that fellow to need rocks unless he's collecting specimens), and where can I thank him for this amazing line? I've already determined I'm going to quote it for an article in the near future...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:33 pm 

Ed Oscuro wrote:
Okay, I just looked up information on Jalak, sounds interesting, but what's bugging me right now is this line posted on Xavius Clayborne's blog:

Quote:
"Rocks fall on you, you die." - Daryll Pogue, explaining what happens when rocks fall on you

Who is Daryll Pogue (the only other Google hit is for some ornithologist, and I don't expect that fellow to need rocks unless he's collecting specimens), and where can I thank him for this amazing line? I've already determined I'm going to quote it for an article in the near future...

I believe Daryll Pogue is an explorer here in the cavern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:43 am 
Obduction Backer

Daryll is known as Paradox here in the community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:16 am 

Ah! I like Paradox. That explains a bit, thanks everybody. Gonna let this go back-on-topic now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:47 am 

:lol:

Never though an old D&D GameMaster quote would cause so much excitement :P (No, I don't play D&D myself, but I have a friend who does)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:20 am 

Paradox just some questions age builder in your banner there
1.is it for the offline game yes im guessing?
2.dos it work like anything i mentioned in one of my earlier posts?
3.is installation easy?

i only ask cozz i have many idea's for some age's
and that program may be the way to go for me

if you are unsure can someone point out any handy info ill need to know

many thanks :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:24 am 

Paradox wrote:
:lol:

Never though an old D&D GameMaster quote would cause so much excitement :P (No, I don't play D&D myself, but I have a friend who does)

My favorite D&D quote from when I used to play was, "Yes, fine. The elf has a keyhole. If you think we're role-playing THAT, I'm going home."

(The explanation would require a book.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:34 am 

BookKeeper wrote:
Paradox just some questions age builder in your banner there
1.is it for the offline game yes im guessing?
2.dos it work like anything i mentioned in one of my earlier posts?
3.is installation easy?

i only ask cozz i have many idea's for some age's
and that program may be the way to go for me

if you are unsure can someone point out any handy info ill need to know

many thanks :)

Offline for now, hopefully online in the future.

All of the AgeBuilding info is at http://blog.hurustudio.org/age-creation-faq-info/ :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:22 am 

Thanks paradox for the link the info was very helpful

But i hope you don't think wrong of me for saying this but i think
its a little sad you need to be part of a team to use this software to
make custom content for your own use within the offline game i can
understand the online side but I'm not the owner so ill say no more other then that

also do you think a concept artist would be a value to a team on a project
like this i only ask cozz i have some great ideas that i would like to see
in the offline game mainly for my use

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:25 am 

BookKeeper, you don't have to be part of anything to create content for the offline game. This is a good place to start: http://alcugs.almlys.org/wiki/index.php ... orialsList

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:30 am 

Ok My Bad Sorry i feel like noob :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well, here we are on Saturday morning, and as usual I am about a week behind. I haven't read this whole thread, but enough to get a sense of it. I've also been around the Myst/Uru/everything-in-between world for a long time and have heard many of the arguments before. FWIW here is my perspective:
    - I work full time and have family obligations. That means I get to go in the cavern for an hour or two on weekends, so "scheduled" events are usually not an option for me. I snuck in to Tetsonot this week for a gate opening, which took 15 minutes, then I had to get back to work. I still haven't finished Eder Tsogal.
    - for the reasons noted, I have NO idea what the "story line" is! I know a couple of people got "killed" in an accident, and there is a controversy about whether the pellets will harm the algae. I got that information from the forums, which I can read sporadically.
    - Trying to follow chat logs is a total waste of time for me. It does help when someone takes the trouble to highlight the important parts (Thanks!), and trying to follow in real-time by being present - with or without the relayers - is even more confusing to me.
    - Trying to filter our meaningful information from the forums would probably take a couple of hours a day - precious hours I'd rather spend solving puzzles.
    - I like the idea of a newspaper that could be read in a few minutes, summarizing the important issues for those of us who can't, or don't want to be present in "real time".

Very honestly I spend enough time in RL worrying about wars and politics, taxed and the price of gas, to want to get involved in similar stuff in a game. That's what turned me off on Second Life during the "Uru hiatus" of 2005-2006 and will eventually drive me away from Uru if it becomes a dominant part of the experience.

BTW, I thought that Alcugs had gone away when Uru Live came back on line. Almlys and the COBBS group did a great job keeping the dream alive during the hiatus, and I'm very happy to see that their dream lives on!

Walt

walt: KI #00193642
walt scRIVENs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:40 pm 

walt_scrivens wrote:
Very honestly I spend enough time in RL worrying about wars and politics, taxed and the price of gas, to want to get involved in similar stuff in a game.

A huge amen to that, in triplicate.

I, too, have been feeling disconnected when it comes to events and storyline. Right now, to be totally honest, I feel more lost than anything else.

Catching a DRC appearance is a crapshoot. I suppose one could make the argument that this is only fitting, since none of us can be in on everything that happens in RL, either. But in RL, we have access to various media to learn about things we may have missed.

I've missed "being there" for everything except the very beginning of Scars. I stood around with a bunch of others by the entrance to the Kahlo Pub for about an hour. Then I felt I should leave to give someone else a chance to get in. Every time I tried to access the City after that through the end of the Wheely/Rose storyline, it was full. I'm aware, however, that this happened to lots of other folks, too.

The other night it occurred to me that I'd completely forgotten about the "renegade Bahro" issue. I further realized that I hadn't visited the Pods in quite some time.

The main reason for this, I think, is that there hasn't been in-game reinforcement or advancement of this stuff. Or if there has, I've completely missed it.

It's all well and good that there may be less-than-cordial Bahro around. But if time passes and nothing else happens with that -- or something happens that only certain Explorers know about -- it tends to fade from memory.

Same with the Pods. As I know many of you have done, I've gone as far as I can go with them (outside of seeing any critters except the always-there undersea variety, although in the past I've gone in and waited around, hoping to see one). But nothing else has happened. I don't even know what purpose the Pods serve. Either there's been no recent info about that, or (yeah, again) I've missed it. So I've stopped thinking about the Pods.

The bigger the game gets, the more I feel as though I'm sitting in a bunch of unconnected fragments. I keep hoping for some interrelatedness, but I have yet to discover any.

Episodic content is all well and good, but I feel there needs to be some connectivity. What good would a series of stand-alone episodes do?

It's possible that Cyan plans to reveal relationships between game and story elements very slowly. If it's too slowly, though, continuity will suffer for it. And that's what I see happening at present. I realize that there have only been two episodes so far, but for me, the lack of continuity has been around since well before the change to episodic content.

I do agree that in-game communication could be better, not only between Cyan and Explorers, but between Explorers. I might get jumped on for saying this -- and it's a little off-topic -- but please indulge me, as I've wanted to say it for awhile now.

Each time I've visited the Watcher's Pub, it's seemed to me that things are rather cliquish there. There are always people around and chatting, but I have yet to get a reply to anything I say, even "hello."

Now, I'm not the most sociable person in RL or in URU, but I do try to make an effort to be courteous and cordial to fellow players. In the Pub, even when I've said something to a specific individual, I've had no reply. At this point, I'm not even trying anymore. There are more than enough rude people to go around in RL; I don't need to seek them out in URU.

So for me, the Pub is anything but a friendly place. If I had to depend on it as the only source of info about what's happenig, I'd be sadly out of luck.

Okay, end of off-topic rant. In fact, end of post. Thanks for listening, everyone. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shame on me! :oops: I am a Greeter, but typically I only pay attention to the forums, not the main page.

The Guild of Greeters has an excellent news summary on their home page!

I will also submit a suggestion that the Classroom journals be kept up-to-date with the latest happenings.

Walt

walt: KI #00193642
walt scRIVENs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

On the subject of newspapers, I know neither of these are InCavern at the moment, but you may be interested in reading either The Archiver from The Cavern Today (pdf format) or The Firemarble from Tweek at the DJC (HTML format).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next