It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:47 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

How should players access fan-made ages?
Books in the Library 14%  14%  [ 12 ]
Nexus-like interface in the Library 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
Catagory in the existing Nexus 25%  25%  [ 21 ]
Seperate writer's Nexus 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
Writer's age (repurposed by the DRC), with it's own Nexus, with journals, meeting spaces, etc. 20%  20%  [ 17 ]
Mini-nexi in each hood (or link to seperate mini-nexi in each) 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Books in writer's Relto (only) 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
Other: specify 12%  12%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 85
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hey all,

I think that most of us are in favor of fan-make ages, including Cyan, so I suspect that we will see this sometime in the not-so-near-but-not-so-distant future.

Personally, this is by far the most exciting development in Uru's future (not to reduce the importance of official ages or the storyline, which the game could not survive without). I used to create levels for Quake and Quake 2 way back in the day (way back), and I remember how much fun that was. I didn't even like playing Quake all that much. With Uru, which I adore, I imagine that it will be incredibly satisfying to create ages, not to mention to visit the endlessly creative ages that will spring forth from the minds of rest of the community!

Some people have speculated about where the links to these ages will be. The library seems a good place, because contextually, a library is where everything goes, from Shakespeare to junky self-help manuals.

But, clearly there will need to be a nexus-like interface, because there will simply be so many ages to access, which won't reasonably fit on any set of shelves (much less rows of pedestals!).

But here's the point of my post. I was browsing Alcug's fabulous how-to wikiand I thought how fun it would be to make my own apartment in Uru. I have a great view of downtown from my window, and I'm 20-odd stories up, so I can just take a photo and place it on a background outside the window... Anyway, that's not actually the point. I realized at that point that if I were to try to maintain any kind of story continuity with the Myst mythos, than my apartment age (and any other real-world locale that others devise) couldn't be linked to from the cavern, because they're both on Earth/D'ni (and none of this quantum mechanics stuff, with "earth-like" ages to explain it away. It shouldn't need explaining).

Of course, many fan-made ages (perhaps a majority) are not likely to follow any conventions of the Myst universe, but I think that a "Writer's nexus" is in order. A completely separate age, like the main Nexus, that is used to link to fan-ages. Perhaps linked to from the Library?

Additionally, it would be nice to have some kind of area, sort of like a hood, perhaps as part of the same age as the writer's nexus, that would serve as a portal to that part of the game, with info, places to hold meetings, and perhaps in-game links to download the authoring software (maybe in the form of a art supply kiosk!)

I think no matter what the implementation, I'd like to also have actual linking books in my own Relto of just the ages I write.

Other options include:

~Simply a section in the current nexus for fan-made ages. Simple and easier to implement.
~A nexus or shelf section in each hood, which links only to ages written by that's hood's members. This is so that the sheer number of ages doesn't overwhelm the casual explorer, and so ages can be grouped by topic or however the "writers" want. The potential downside is that writers would have to jockey to get visitors to their hood's ages. In other words, competition.
~Maybe only have the books in the writer's Relto (on the opposing shelf, maybe?). This might be a bit annoying/inconvenient, but it would mean Cyan could keep more control over the system, and the public areas wouldn't get overwhelmed with non-official links.
~Other: Suggest your own implementation (I hope I've included enough options in the poll, but I'm sure there are other great ideas out there).

Of course, I'd invite Cyan to provide some insight as to what direction they're currently thinking on this matter. Maybe they hadn't considered it yet, maybe they have a few ideas, but nothing final, or maybe they have a whole system mapped out (but won't/shouldn't tell us yet, of course :lol:).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thought I'd bump this in an attempt to get some responses...

bump! :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:40 pm 

My usual reply: http://blog.hurustudio.org/age-creation-faq-info/

It's far too early to discuss the topic. It's like discussing the color of the curtains for a new house without having the estate to build the house.

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:52 pm 

It's never too early to discuss something that's fun to discuss.

As for me, I'm in favor of your personal ages being stored on a bookshelf in your Relto. Invites for other people to said ages would show up in their "Private Links" Nexus tab just like they do with Cyan links. If you want to make an age public, it would go under a new tab for public fan-made ages in the Nexus, with a subsection sorted by player name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

No way is it "too early." This was an initial goal of Cyan, and while it may not be on the "6 month" schedule as Rand had hoped, it's still an important part of the future of the game, and deserves to be discussed as much as anything else.

Besides, this is a separate topic, relating to in-game implementation, not an debate over whether age creation will happen or if it's a good idea (That link to H'uru is about the possibilities and current realities of Age creation, and totally off topic here).

Still, if it's too early for *you* to make a comment, than don't, but don't say we can't talk about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

While having a neat location to house the books would be cool, it'd be a lot of work and subject to maintenance (what happens when you need more room) and updating (adding new books). The easiest way, and a way that would seem the least intrusive, would be to add a new category to the Nexus.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

I highly suspect that Cyan already has some form of idea of how user created content delivery could occur... You're not giving them much credit, if they've had this goal in mind for over two years, then I expect that a lot of it is planned out. The problem being getting funding and developer time behind it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:54 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
You're not giving them much credit

That's not true, I said that I have no idea where they are at. They may have it all planned out, or they may not. They've got a lot on their plate, so I wouldn't be surprised and I wouldn't blame them if they were behind on this, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they've got it nearly ready to go, waiting in the wings for the final 5%. It's almost impossible to tell with Cyan, and I have no real suspicion one way or the other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:21 am 

I appreciate your interest in user creates ages and I don't want to stop you from discussing details. I'm just pointed out that you - in my humble opinion - should focus your energy on the foundation instead of details.

Discussing where to put ages doesn't help the major cause. If you are interested in kick starting the process of user contributed content then get in contact with people like H'Uru or Age Builders. We are trying to join efforts and focus our energy to get the ball rolling.

It may help to lobby for user created content. Contact Gametap and ask them to provide additional resources to user created content, make feature requests at Cyan's and Gametap's tracker ...

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:22 am 
Obduction Backer

Wow... I have to vote 'other' because I really feel it depends on the Age!

If the Age is meant to be an original D'ni Age.... the DRC might want to present it, or permit the Age Builder to present it, as a discovered book... and treat it just like other D'ni books.

If the Age is written by an aspiring writer of Ages... someone learning the Art... then that might be shared through the writer's Relto.

Just as examples. The opportunities seem endless to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:13 am 

All the tools you need in relto, and a linking book out to a shared writing age where a group can work together on a project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:28 am 

i'm still want a "maintainer library"
http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:50 am 
Obduction Backer

Tiran wrote:
you - in my humble opinion - should focus your energy on the foundation instead of details.

Sorry to say, but our time on this forum is not precious, I can easily handle discussing both the foundation and the details, thank you very much :wink:

This thread is about one of the details (a rather... foundational one, actually), so stay on topic, please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:24 am 

I'm with Tiran.

Besides if or when we do, the only logical place to put authorized player made ages, is in the Guild hall.
As for the development of Ages, I think that the outline will have to be done in the offline CC, then import them over to a persnal bookshelf or book in Relto on Live, where you would do the final testing before release.

Again if you are really wanting to do this, I suggest you pop over to Tirans link or Here, then ask a moderator to create a new forum section for player made Ages/content.
Though right now it won't happen, and I am sure there is a lot of work behind the scences where Cyan is working frantically to make new Ages for us to play with, fix critical bugs, leaving little or no time and man power for tweaking the game engine and for the infrastructure for player made content.

I am currently working on my projects, with some time allocated to my Age, Omnivarous, currently its learning Blender 3D

Lian-Li PC-V1000 plus II case, 600W powersupply, Striker Extreme motherboard, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 CPU, nVidia 8800GTS 512, 2x1GB Corsair memory @ 800Mhz, 5.1 audio, wireless mouse, 200GB main hard disk.
Grogyan KI# 00793984 -> www.guildofwriters.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:43 pm 

Quote:
http://alcugs.almlys.org/wiki/index.php/AgeCreationTutorialsList

Your right alcugs.almlys.org is a good place to get your feet wet. Working through the tutorials there gives a decent understanding of what all is involved in Age creation, which is more involved then many assume. When I finished working through the tutorials I was left with a real sense of accomplishment, and respect for the people that set it all up.

But a grain of salt.

All of that work is based on hacking CC. What parts exactly do you think will transfer from there into Moul unaltered outside of the model files you create?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next