It is currently Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:18 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:34 am 
Obduction Backer

EDIT: The website has been up for about a week now, and it's recently been greatly improved. More features, improved layout and organization. Also, you can now post your unique Jalakbloc sculptures and challenge the community to duplicate your efforts! Check it out.

I've created a database for Jalak games called "the Jalak Registry"

I've also included images of the "gameboard" and the "Blocs" for people to download and create game diagrams.

Check it out, sign up for an account (you can add games without an account, but you can't upload images), and register your Jalak game!!

http://jalak.heywetried.com/

I made this whole thing in less than 6 hours, so it's not finished. I intend to include more images, as well as links to guides on Abstract Strategy games, and more information on making games specifically for Jalak. I'd also like to include a rating system and streamline a more fluid image upload process.

Other goals include developing a complete notation system for the Jalak board (which I'm making progress on), and supporting multiple languages.

But the site is 100% functional as is, so don't hesitate to start uploading your creations (If you create an account, you can also edit your posts, so you can always update and add info and images/screenshots later).

Please provide comments/complaints/bugs/etc in this thread., as I'll be spending the next week refining the site, and I could use your help.

Can someone also please copy/paste this post to UO, I don't have an account over there. EDIT: Apparently, I do have an account there, never mind, then. :oops: :lol:

Thanks, y'all! It's way past bedtime for me!

KI#01165421
Hey! Visit The Jalak Registry, the source for all things Jalak. Yes, it's still open!

Last edited by The Noble Robot on Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:45 pm 

Great job, TNR, in keeping with your excellent Minkata mapping 8)

I take it the Latin is a temporary thing? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Very god job, Robert and ur latin is excellent except for a few grammatical errors. Thx. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yes, the "latin" is generated dummy text called Lorem Ipsum.

It is temporary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:02 pm 

Gotcha. I knew I'd come across its use before, didn't realise that it was such a standard methodology in typesetting - cool :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:06 pm 

C'ristan wrote:
Gotcha. I knew I'd come across its use before, didn't realise that it was such a standard methodology in typesetting - cool :)

It sure is... and has been for centuries, actually. :wink:

She said, 'You don't need to understand what that means.'
It's odd—being talked down to someone who abhors pride."
—SteveDenton, journal excerpt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:32 pm 

Wonderful, very nice! :D

I've already uploaded a game I'd made (Race to the Top), although I can't seem find where to input my name, there seem to be more identity fields on the feedback then the actual item it'self :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

In order to identify yourself as the game's author, you need to sign up for an account on the site.

If you'd rather not do that (I want to let people post anonymously), feel free to put your name somewhere in the content of the game's rules.

Oh, I see you've done that. :-)

I can see if I can put a name field for anonymous users. Although, while I don't want to force anyone to sign up, I would like to encourage people to, so maybe I shouldn't add that feature. Taking that into account, does anyone have a strong opinion on this?

Also, I'd like to, in the future, allow visitors to the site be able to filter results by game author, and for that system to be useful, it would require more people to sign up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:10 pm 

Arr, I see, I haddn't noticed that bar at the top. :oops:

I've made my account and updated my entery accordingly :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:50 am 

**Geek talk alert. Non-wirehead explorers ignore this post.**

Nice site NR. Good to see a fellow Drupal developer in action. One suggestion: You should enable Clean URLs and use the Pathauto module to automatically generate URLs from Node titles. That way if someone bookmarks a game, they can tell from the url what is is instead of just "node xx".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:42 am 
Obduction Backer

Good suggestion, sub. I've already got Clean URL's enabled, but I'll look into that module. Thanks :D

EDIT: I configured Pathauto to the Registry and it's all set for using Wiki-style URLs for games, categories, and users. Again, thanks for the tip!! :-)

KI#01165421
Hey! Visit The Jalak Registry, the source for all things Jalak. Yes, it's still open!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]