It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:54 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

It has been made clear here that there will not be a specific Guild of Writers subforum made here on mystonline.com.

So, would anyone like to nominate a central forum for dedicated discussion of Guild of Writers? I know some have been suggested deep within other topics; the only purpose of this topic is to form a list of such suggestions. On 14 August, I'll start a poll to vote on it.

List of candidate Guild of Writers discussion forums (and URLs):

Note: to qualify, the forum must provide us with moderator privileges.

Last edited by Robert The Rebuilder on Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:07 pm 

We are actively working with existing Age Creation forums to set up a common area.

Look for an announcement hopefully within a week's time. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Alrighty - that's one candidate forum URL, to be announced.

Any others?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:29 pm 

Are we speaking about a temporarily forum until we have the guild defined and a guild site up? Or are we talking about a final and official guild forum?

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Just a temporary discussion forum at this point, Tiran. We need some central place to track all chat logs, draft write-ups, etc. that are specific to the Guild of Writers. But it needs to be a place that we all agree on - we cannot have each forum doing its own thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:46 pm 

Robert The Rebuilder wrote:
Alrighty - that's one candidate forum URL, to be announced.

Any others?

There is one already set up for you over at the AoG. Ask Whilyam to give admin priveliges to whoever needs them. Since the Maintainers are also setting up shop over there, and since our two guilds will be working so closely, it would seem a natural place to be, even if only temporarily.

BTW, Reteltee has endorsed the AoG forums for all the guilds, and is a moderator there already.

http://uruguilds.org/uruguilds/viewforum.php?f=34

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:09 am 

I haven't seen a single good argument against mystonline.com. This forum is well established, it is the official forum for MOUL and most to all interested in GoW have an account here. Another forum would move the discussion away from the main stream. Interested users won't run into the discussion by accident and nobody has to create yet another account.

Unless somebody can explain me why it is good to separate the guild creation discussion from the general discussion I'll vote for mystonline every time. We can prefix every thread with [GoW] to mark them as GoW related.

By the way I've a pretty sophisticated setup for the GoW forum in mind. I want to have a forum software with group and user management and reuse the the user and group database for other purposes, too. I don't see a chance to get a forum software that supports external group and user management. Anyway the users and groups should be reused for wiki, bug tracker, subversion and what so ever. For example members of a forum group get automatically subversion and bug tracker permissions and the password and login are shared across every part of the site. We might even get SSO working ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:30 am 

Tiran wrote:
By the way I've a pretty sophisticated setup for the GoW forum in mind. I want to have a forum software with group and user management and reuse the the user and group database for other purposes, too. I don't see a chance to get a forum software that supports external group and user management. Anyway the users and groups should be reused for wiki, bug tracker, subversion and what so ever. For example members of a forum group get automatically subversion and bug tracker permissions and the password and login are shared across every part of the site. We might even get SSO working ...

Well, you're not going to get any of that here. Graydragon has made that clear.

Talk to Whilyam over at AoG. Lots of that stuff is already in place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:37 am 

crimson_bard wrote:
Well, you're not going to get any of that here. Graydragon has made that clear.

Talk to Whilyam over at AoG. Lots of that stuff is already in place.

I don't think that Whilyam will grant me root access to his server in order to set up the necessary Apache 2 extensions. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:00 am 
Obduction Backer

phpBB is good forum software and the new version is great phpBB3 (RC4)
http://www.phpbb.com/

subversion can be found here
http://subversion.tigris.org/

also here is some good software too with bug tickets and a wiki
http://trac.edgewall.org/

all 3 can be tied together

also if you want to use MediaWiki here is a link to tie it into phpBB
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension ... ntegration

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:05 am 
Obduction Backer

I'll add Montgomery's link to the candidate list.

Tiran: I should have clarified on the original post. We need a forum where we have moderator privileges, e.g., so that we can sticky important items. If we posted things here, it would get lost in the sea of other posts. That's why mystonline.com doesn't qualify.

MercAngel: Thanks for the links. Those will be extremely useful once the Guild of Writers has become official and we are ready to set up a supporting website. For now, I'm just looking for discussion-only places where we can have moderator access to talk about our dream site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:28 am 
Obduction Backer

Robert The Rebuilder wrote:
I'll add Montgomery's link to the candidate list.

Tiran: I should have clarified on the original post. We need a forum where we have moderator privileges, e.g., so that we can sticky important items. If we posted things here, it would get lost in the sea of other posts. That's why mystonline.com doesn't qualify.

MercAngel: Thanks for the links. Those will be extremely useful once the Guild of Writers has become official and we are ready to set up a supporting website. For now, I'm just looking for discussion-only places where we can have moderator access to talk about our dream site.

then put my site in too i can set up a spot on there for that and give access to it or i can set up a hole new forum in no time
http://atlantis.servegame.org/forums/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:09 am 
Obduction Backer

Well AB and GoAC are merging onto a single forum. They are both prominent organisations merging forums, so why not use the new forum as the GoW forum as well? After all it was intended as a one-stop spot for user created content, plus it'd be awesome to have major agebuilding organisations in a coalition in one forum under the Guild of Writers banner :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:51 am 

I've mentioned it multiple times in the past; the GoW needs a completely fresh start. It needs a brand new forum, not a merge of other forums, or an old forum renamed.

We need to start completely from scratch and leave past drama behind us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:23 am 

Gosh, I dunno, I think Tiran has a point. Certainly in these early stages this is the best place to keep things; what you would gain by mod privileges elsewhere I feel you would more than lose by having all this info away from the mainstream. And there is a lot to be said for the sheer simplicity of talking here.

I actually don't think important threads will get lost in here; there won't be enough traffic.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next