It is currently Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:38 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Who is Reteltee?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:02 pm 

I think this merits its own topic ....

Reteltee has -- more than any other explorer since the cavern opened -- been rocketted to sudden fame and importance. But what do we really know about him? Given that he has been thrust into an position of (ill-defined) authority, shouldn't we try to get to know this individual upon whom so much of our collective future hangs?

If anyone can fill in any details, either from personal experience or by reposting from other sources, please do so here:

Biographical -- what is his background, his interests, age, nationality, etc.?
Qualifications -- what is his experience working in similar situations that makes him qualified to be an advisor on the formation of the D'ni Guilds?
Position -- What are Reteltee's personal opinions on subjects that relate to his job as advisor, and to the formation of the guilds?
Vision -- What is the vision that Retelee has, and how is it different or similar to the DRC's vision? The explorers? The D'ni?
Goals -- What does Reteltee wish to accomplish? What does the DRC with to accomplish through Reteltee?
Action Plan -- What steps does Reteltee have laid out to accomplish those goals?

Also suitable for this topic: what is your opinion of Reteltee? Of the way he got his position? Of the job he is doing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:14 pm 

Good point. I like to know more about him, too. But please don't make the thread into a smorgasbord of random rumors. I prefer to get information from him personally.

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:35 pm 

Tiran wrote:
Good point. I like to know more about him, too. But please don't make the thread into a smorgasbord of random rumors. I prefer to get information from him personally.

If you manage to get any of this information out of him, I will bow to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

All I know about him is that he will repeatedly say that he was not particularly interested in the job of Guild Adviser until the DRC gave it to him.

And... he complimented me and my Minkata maps in front of 70 people at during his first post-appointment apperance... so, I like him, and I'll follow him to the end of the earth :wink: :lol: :wink:

Does he have a pre-appointment history of posting on these or other forums?

KI#01165421
Hey! Visit The Jalak Registry, the source for all things Jalak. Yes, it's still open!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

He started a thread on Guilds here on January 19th. So he's been around and did talk about the Guilds then.

Is he still reading these boards? I dunno. I'd love to hear from him.

Edit: Additionally, there is thread created by Reteltee over at UO from June 30 or so.

MOULagain KI#27460 - Second Life: Vax Sirnah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:17 am 

It's still a bit odd that our Guild Advisor hasn't even introduced himself here since he was 'named'...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:02 am 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Not speaking as a mod here, just an idea: Myst Online is a game. I don't think any "qualifications" should be taken too seriously, at least not as seriously as in real world business etc. And we are talking about an online environment. Online, people have good reasons to be careful about privacy and each of us has a different comfort levels with that.
I don't mean to diminuish anybody's interest and/or concerns at all, I understand that, just having major *twitch" DRCL *twitch* flashbacks about certain social processes looming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:35 am 

heh, I remember going through this scrutiny when I got caught up with Doug and Nick as their "official" ecologist sidekick...

If Reteltee's story is like mine, it really is just a case of Right Place Right Time. It's making a comment that catches someone at Cyan's attention, and they follow through on it. It has nothing to do with him or me being any "better" or "more qualified" than anyone else, we just made an effort and got to play along for a bit as a result.

The hard part is that there's a lot of other people making an effort as well, who don't get to participate. A friend of mine got caught speeding, and told the cop "hey, there's lots of people speeding, why did you pull me over?" The cop replied "Ever been fishing and caught every single fish in the lake?" Sometimes yer just the (un)lucky one... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:54 am 

Rils wrote:
If Reteltee's story is like mine, it really is just a case of Right Place Right Time. It's making a comment that catches someone at Cyan's attention, and they follow through on it. It has nothing to do with him or me being any "better" or "more qualified" than anyone else, we just made an effort and got to play along for a bit as a result.

And under most circumstances I would applaud Reteltee as I did you -- and even Sydney (and I did congratulate Reteltee sincerely). But this is more than "getting to play along for a bit." Reteltee has been given a position where he has some as-yet-undefined influence over the creation of explorer-run guilds and organizations, and therefore the power to affect the experiences of hundreds of explorers. This isn't a case of Reteltee being writting in to the story arc as a footnote. He's a player, like no other explorer has been since Brian Fioca. But one with even more potential for real influence to the community.

And given that, it is hard to for some (/me raises his hand) to accept that the DRC didn't put any more thought into their choice than grabbing the first person to say the secret word, "Guild."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:38 am 
Obduction Backer

I think grilling Reteltee isn't required - this isn't a job interview or anything. But I do think he's suddenly found himself in the driver seat of a potentially very important part of the game. I'd like to hear more about it all :)

MOULagain KI#27460 - Second Life: Vax Sirnah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:44 am 
Creative Kingdoms

BladeLakem wrote:
He started a thread on Guilds here on January 19th. So he's been around and did talk about the Guilds then.

Is he still reading these boards? I dunno. I'd love to hear from him.

Edit: Additionally, there is thread created by Reteltee over at UO from June 30 or so.

My first thought, with Cyan bypassing without apparent consideration those who might have worked hard to contribute over the years, instead going with an unknown in a moment of serendipity, was that he was a DRC/Cyan plant. That's why I did the same thing Blade did and tried to find a posting history. I found the same posts Blade did and said, "hmmm, this would take advance planning." Well, okay, not likely a Cyan effort going back seven months then, but still possible. The better test really is whether he can sustain communication and feedback any better than the DRC without speaking in riddles. No one at Cyan is going to have the time to put in a fan's effort along with their own job. So just keep him busy. If he's for real, or at least real enough, he won't behave like the DRC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:12 am 
Obduction Backer

Well, I think that Cyan just picked a random person who showed interest. I mainly think this because I believe the guy--whose name escapes me for the moment--who founded the Assembly of Guilds almost got Reteltees' job. "The guy" (Sorry!) wanted to talk to Nick White about the Guilds or something like that, and they got into a private conversation in which Nick White told him that the DRC was interested in the Guilds. Nick White advised "the guy" to to learn everything he could about the D'ni guilds, and added,
"If you want this to matter, you'll keep it quiet." But "the guy" posted the conversation on the DRC forums instead and missed his chance, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:26 pm 

If not him then someone else and I am sure reasons could be found to be unhappy with any single candidate. The very nature of havimng to choose someone invites dissent and possible unhappiness.

I don't think there is much point worrying about it. Cyan's picked someone, we're moving forward, work with what we have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:32 pm 

Montgomery wrote:
Tiran wrote:

If you manage to get any of this information out of him, I will bow to you.

Uhm? I didn't know that it is so hard to get reliable information about him.

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:38 pm 

Reteltee seems a "real" person, not a plant, not even a shrubbery.
( :lol: Yes I watched to much monty python last night :lol: )

Reteltee admited that they gave him a one liner when he announced the Guild Pub thing. Check the log of the guild pub announcement. :D

Edit @ Jennifer_P : That would be EarthWizard I belive.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next