It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:18 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Reteltee Q&A
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:34 pm 

Here are the questions and complete answers from the log of the Q&A session during the 7pm All-Guild Meeting, on 8-20 (I did correct spelling and punctuation to ease reading, and collected together multiple pieces where questions or answers ran more than one post.)

Enjoy!

Montgomery: Reteltee, as you know, I have compiled a list of questions many of the explorers have given me, to ask you to ask the DRC/Cyan. I PMed them to you earlier today, on UO. But for everyone who wants to read them, they are in the Guild subforum on the MO:UL forums.

Reteltee: And I willingly take them to the DRC, and bring back word of their plans ... insamuch as they are revealed to me. In truth, after reading the questions which were relayed to me by Monty, I fear I've not many particularly satisfying answers. But, that which I can answer, I will.
_____

GMRguru: Has the DRC had any further communication with Yeesha?

Reteltee: Not that they have indicated to me; however the DRC may not be in a position to reveal that information at this time.
_____

groath: Do you think that if we get the guilds going again that it will cause the DRC to gain too much power over us, or the DRC having too much power over the guilds?

Reteltee: Quite the opposite, I hope; I believe the Guilds will offer the Explorers the ability to counterpoint the DRC. [later:] Sorry, the answer to the Guild/power question was No; the Guilds will hopefully serve as a check on the DRC's power
_____

Abjab: We need more "Buddies"-like KI group Lists for communications purposes, listed by Guilds please ... can that be done?

Reteltee: As for the Guild Buddy Lists or something of that kind; I believe it's possible, however I do not know if it's likely.
_____

Sonseeharay: Didn't the elitism of the guilds lead to the downfall of D’ni and how do you plan to keep that from happening again.

Reteltee: The Guilds of Uru will not function if we allow them to become elitist. Please, understand this; WE are the Guilds, WE will ultimately have to determine what form they take, and WE will bear the responsibility of making sure those who wish to be included are, while not impeding those who wish to remain apart from the Guilds.
_____

MustardJeep: Has the DRC told you anything that they don't want the newish guild/groups to be doing?

Reteltee: Yes MJ; and the first thing they don't want us to do is to become a power-mad cabal of elitist conspirators who attempt to rule the Cavern ;) The DRC's suggestion is that we remain flexible and loose, at this point.
_____

Thend: So, since the Guilds are not 'elitist', then one will not be excluded from joining one, or, say, join all 5 (or more) at the same time?

Reteltee: To my knowledge there will be nothing that prevents anyone from joining any Guild at any time; however, that does not necessarily mean one could belong to all five (or Eighteen for that matter) at once.
_____

Kalypso: Given that news distribution in the cavern is very limited, is the DRC willing to give the Guild of Messengers new tools (special place to post information [more than 5 slots in the imager] in the cavern) or ameliorations to the existing tools (Ki system ... to reach to largest number of explorers as possible)?

Reteltee: Great question, and one I shall relay to the DRC. At this point, I do not know :(
_____

Ghaelen D'Lareh: I see quite a push by some explorers to move pre/proto- guild discussions off the MOUL forum, nearly to the point of "strongarming" others who think the MOUL forum is fine for right now. Since the guilds (other than GOG) aren't in existence yet, do you have a suggestion for those of us concerned with the issues of "yet another forum" or neutrality?

Reteltee: Not entirely sure I understand the question Ghaelen (sorry), but I THINK what you're getting at is something Marie has described as reinventing the wheel. The upshot is that the DRC has encouraged Guilders to use the resources currently available; however, that shouldn't preclude the development of more should they be deemed by the Explorers as necessary and beneficial. I would recommend the Assembly of Guilds site as a start. It's a currently existing resource, it's flexible, useful, and will keep the load off the DRC.
_____

Robert The Rebuilder: Good to see you again, Reteltee! If we happen to get the unofficial guilds up and running quite well, will the DRC simply make our system official, or are they still intent on presenting their own system?

Reteltee: Good to see you too 'Bob' ;) I believe the DRC is willing to look closely at any system of management we Explorers develop. And if we come up with something that works, I'm sure they'd have no problem steal ... er, adapting it to their purposes.
_____

Montgomery: Reteltee, is your job to advise the DRC, or to advise the explorers?

Reteltee: Good question Monty; in truth, both. My responsibility (read: loyalty) is always, and vehemently to the Explorers. However, since the DRC is willing to listen, I feel the best way for me to serve the Explorers is by offering what advice I can to their cadre.
_____

Frisky Badger: Along the lines of previous questions, will we be getting any guidance from Cyan/DRC anytime soon with regards to how they envision the guilds working?

Reteltee: Depends on what you mean. In general ... probably not that much.
_____

Dakro: When the guilds start to take a more active role with the DRC and the restoration, where will we find out about our current tasks and objectives? Also will there be a sign-up sheet for explorers to join guilds instead of just wearing a t-shirt, along with maybe Guild added to Age players, buddies, and neighbors?

Reteltee: Dak; that information is forthcoming, but I don't know exactly when. :(
_____

Paradox: I've been working recently with others to set up the Guild of Writers formed of various existing Age Creation groups. What do you say on this, is it a good initiative to take despite what Cyan has stated; or should we be waiting to hear from Cyan before we form Guilds and structures for those guilds? Also, as a note: The Guild of Writers will _not_ be using the Assembly of Guilds site. All GoW discussion is happening on MOUL's Guilds forum (until we have an official GoW forum).

Reteltee: Ok; to your first point, I think it's a fine task to start working on developing ideas for what form the Guilds will take; however, as I've said, it's important to remember we need to be flexible. To your second point; I think its fine to use whatever forum you prefer for collating your discussion; my point about the AoG is that it's dedicated to the subject of the Guilds. But the MOUL site is fine too
_____

White Rose: Will the lag ever get fixed and what would happen to a guild should it think it could be powerful enough to rule the cavern?

Reteltee: I don't know about lag; that's a Cyan tech issue, and I've no insight there. The Guild would fail. It would fail miserably.
_____

Shimmerillion: You mentioned that we will ultimately have to determine what form the guilds take. What has the DRC/Cyan learned from the liason affair regarding the necessary cooperation between explorers influencing story/content and the "key holders" (DRC/Ccyan)?

Reteltee: I have sincere assurances from the DRC that this will be NOTHING like the Liason fiasco.

Shimmerillion: Yes, but what are they concretely doing differently?

Reteltee: Well, for one, giving the Explorers a much greater voice in how they impact the structure of the Cavern.
_____

Andy Legate: Reteltee; Cate Alexander was quoted as saying to bring back the Guilds "just like the D'ni." Does this mean that the DRC plans to implement the Guild system just as the D'ni ran it? Or will they allow us to correct mistakes that the D'ni made with the Guilds?

Reteltee: Just like the D'ni should be taken in the context of "just like Ri'neref intended it."
_____

--=V4iLiN=--: I would like to know if the DRC are going to open up the Guild Hall in the city, and provide the guilds some tools, etc. I really think Cyan would want to keep everything within the game. So we gotta have in-game Objects and tools we can use. Could this please be mentioned to 'The Powers that Be' for me? Thank you.

Reteltee: Yes. To both. :)
_____

groath: Do you know if in the near future if the guild area of the city will be re-opened for the guilds? Or if the Maintainers will have suits ready for them any time soon or will Gahreesen be the HQ for the Maintainers?

Reteltee: The answer to all of the above is I do not know, sorry. :(
_____

Relayer Corps: Will any group joining a Guild retain its autonomy and individuality? Or will they be completely absorbed into the guild?

Reteltee: That depends entirely upon the desire of the group. And the Guild.
_____

Saavadro: With all of this focus being put on the guild formations by the DRC, will it continue to work on restoring further areas of THIS cavern and translating more ancient D'ni texts? If not, will a separate guild or guilds have to be formed to speed these areas up?

Reteltee: The DRC will continue to restore as much of the Cavern as possible, while maintaining safety and security for all of the Explorers. As to Guild involvement in that process I cannot say (in actuality, I am not allowed to say).
_____

Warren Weisstieg: What kind of guild structure is planned along the lines of Guildmasters, councils, etc?

Reteltee: There is a structure planned, and it will be in line with the original vision of Master Ri'neref.
_____

ABguy: Where do new ideas and guilds fit into your vision for the way guilds will interact?

Reteltee: They're essential. As I hope I've made clear (if not by eloquence, then at least by repetition), my vision of the Guilds is US. The Explorers, the ones with the greatest stake in what happens here in our world. So new ideas and lots of people are integral to that concept. As for the interaction ... well, that will become clearer in time.
_____

R'nway: Along that note, what are the DRC's plans to incorporate explorer-written ages?

Reteltee: I don't know.
_____

Thend: D'ni structure according to Ri’neref -- So, there WILL be an elected King of D'ni sometime 'in the future,' eh?

Reteltee: Nope, at least, not that I know of. I am referring solely to the Guild structure.
_____

Montgomery: Reteltee, where is the best place for people to ask you these kinds of questions after this meeting?

Reteltee: Well, you can always PM me on the Uru Obsession forums, or the Assembly of Guilds forums. Also feel free to email me: [email protected]. And always feel free to ping me in the Cavern.
_____

Montgomery: On behalf of everyone here and those reading this log, thank you Reteltee!

Reteltee: I consider it my privilege to speak with and listen to my fellow Explorers. Thanks for having me everyone. And thanks for your kindness and support. I bid the fondest Shorah to you all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:11 am 
Obduction Backer

Thanks, Montgomery. I know how much work these take, so your time is much appreciated!

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:39 am 

Montgomery, thank you for your effort to post this useful ressource.

-Qvist #25056

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:54 pm 

Great Idea, very useful. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks from me too. Very informative. I look forward to even more flesh on the bones as the guilds evolve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:19 pm 

You are all most welcome.

Stay tuned for answers to the questions I collected and gave to Reteltee to pass to the DRC/Cyan. I do not know the status of these, but will post them the moment I get them.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]