It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:18 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

What form of ages will the Unofficial Guild of Writers Support?
Poll ended at Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:23 pm
Only ages within Uru: Complete Chronicles 77%  77%  [ 20 ]
Explorable ages in any form (hypercard, other 3D engines, etc) 23%  23%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 26
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

quahog42 posted an excellent question in the UGoW mission statement thread:

quahog42 wrote:
What constitutes an Age? Does an Age have to be explorable using Uru's graphics engine? If someone were to make a slideshow Age (like Myst, Riven, etc) in flash, or in plain html, would that be considered an actual Age?

To answer this, I decided to run this poll. Which form of an age do people want the UGoW to support?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:32 pm 

Saying "Only ... Complete Chronicles" appears to rule out the age working in MOUL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

spdenne wrote:
Saying "Only ... Complete Chronicles" appears to rule out the age working in MOUL

You're correct, spdenne. MO:UL ages can only be created by the official Guild of Writers. Right now, without Cyan's support, we can only create ages outside of MO:UL - hence the "unofficial" label.

Hope that clarifies things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:00 pm 

It does. I thought that was exactly what you meant. I voted for that option too, though my desire is (as I presume yours is) that the created ages will become available within MO:UL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

I would add MOUL Ages to the poll something like MOUL Ages (when implimented).

I personally feel GoW should stick to actually creating exploreable content in game but that's just me.

You need to take into account the IC aspect of the guilds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

You sure want to make your "official" status identical to the advent of fan-created Ages in Uru Live? One is a technical issue, one is not.

My answer, and it probably seems lame after all the posting I've done in these threads, is that I'm not interested in creating Ages for ABM/CC. (If I were, I'd have started two years ago.) My interest here is in forming a good structure for the day UL Ages become possible.

I've already done some interactive-online Age creation: see thread:

http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8995

That didn't require a guild organization, obviously. But I'd be interested in helping if other people have related ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:50 pm 

Makes sense. Currently we can only make ages in Uru: CC. ONLY with Cyan's blessing can we get them into Live. So that's my vote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:10 pm 

I think the UGoW should only concern themselves with Uru:CC Ages; the whole purpose of the guild is to (eventually) create Ages that can be used in MO:UL if/when Cyan allows it. Making other types of Ages is great, but that belongs in a completely different group. Of course, there could possibly be a little cross-over if the non-Uru:CC Age is meant as a concept design...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:42 pm 

For my money, I don't see a problem with the guild supporting other forms of ages, though IC they should probably be separated from 'real' ages (i.e., those that work in Uru). We should be supporting as much creativity with as much variety as we can. That includes flash, html, or other ways of creating ages.

(Let's not forget to avoid the stuffiness of the original D'ni guilds, eh?)

Perhaps they could be described as reports or representations of Ages that the Guild has created that for some reason or another have not been released for exploration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:48 am 

Of course I'm hoping for being able to produce Ages for MOUL. With that said, I have nothing against producing alternate forms of ages. However, if they're not implemented into CC or MOUL and therefore part of the URU (IC) environment, they should exist separately and basically just be treated as standalone projects (or parts of another story perhaps).

The guild itself should concern itself with IC, but who's to limit the creativity of people who happen to be members of the guild.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]