It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:36 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:50 pm 

I'm going to get flamed, but I just have to say this.

I know everyone at Cyan is working their collective arse off on Uru. That said, I am just amazed at the lack of playable content this month.

What drew me to the MYST series of games were the mind-engaging puzzles. Hours and hours of puzzles, with amazing graphics and audio.

This month has been a huge disappointment. Guilds? Deception? Where's the gameplay? Where's the mental stimulation?

I'd rather have non-interactive, pre-programmed story, more in keeping with the unfolding story premise of the other MYST games. I can't see where real time actors are making for any meaningful gameplay.

I was really excited to play MYST Online on my Mac, but after the release of most of the original ages in Uru:Complete Chronicles, much of the content has been lacking compared to the boxed MYST products, especially given the length of time between content release.

Why can't non-"real time interaction" episodic content be released?

I feel as if the MYST feel has been totally lost; replaced with "As the Bahro/DRC/D'ni Turns", the MYST-franchised soap opera.

Sorry to be a downer - I'm experiencing major disappointment with what was a once a challenging gaming experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:00 am 

I think they're setting things up, just like a TV series. I still stand behind the fact that by October all of TPOTS will be added to Live, thus allowing them to really work on some cool stuff. The story is the focus of this episode because people have been complaining about the lack of real story, which has been remedied here. Today, I just listened to one of the best speeches delivered in Myst, and it was amazing (The chatter could have been fixed, but hey, we're growing. Hopefully the messengers will open up a moderation branch for conferences and speeches.)

Story can be a puzzle in of itself, speculation and such. if you're bored, go try and find the story. I plan on reading up on Journals when I get downtime (Hopefully).

Overall, Cyan's trying to balance the story driven players and the content driven players. The content driven have had their way for the past few episodes, let the story people get a piece of the pie.

~William Clark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:05 am 

Ditto, Dr.

I decided with last month's so called "new age" not to renew my contract with Gametap. I no longer care nor worry about what content is released. Not giving a hoot about new episodes has really lessened my stress level so whatever is released is no surprise nor disappointment.

I want puzzles, period. Not DRC BS, not different versions of a sand pit to play in, and not the baddest chat room around. There, that's my 2cents. I feel so much better now; I can actually feel a smile coming on! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:52 am 

I am truely sorry that you are disappointed in this episode Dr. B and boshette but may I humbly suggest that you have forgotten what Myst/URU is all about?

Myst has always been about Story - the puzzels have always been secondary to the story that was being told. The same thing applies to URU - even more so. So we didn't get brain bending puzzels this go-around. We have and are getting some mighty interesting Story. If you don't think so may I suggest you check out the speach Dr. Watson gave a few hours ago in the Blabbity Bevin. You'll find the chatlog in the Spoiler section of the forum.

We were told from the beginning that this episode would be the lead-in to the season final. So may I suggest that you involve yourselves in the evolving Story (check out the stickied CHAT LOG thread) - wait till the end of the season final - then please feel free to complain about your disappointments.....if there truely are any.

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Last edited by Kero on Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:54 am 

boshettee wrote:
Ditto, Dr.

I decided with last month's so called "new age" not to renew my contract with Gametap. I no longer care nor worry about what content is released. Not giving a hoot about new episodes has really lessened my stress level so whatever is released is no surprise nor disappointment.

I want puzzles, period. Not DRC BS, not different versions of a sand pit to play in, and not the baddest chat room around. There, that's my 2cents. I feel so much better now; I can actually feel a smile coming on! :lol:

Me and my family and friends are on our way to following you boshettee, totally sympathise with you.

Kero wrote:
I am truely sorry that you are disappointed in this episode Dr. B and boshette but may I humbly suggest that you have forgotten what Myst/URU is all about?

Myst has always been about story - the puzzels have always been secondary to the story that was being told. The same thing applies to URU - even more so. So we didn't get brain bending puzzels this go-around. We have and are getting some mighty interesting Story. If you don't think so may I suggest you check out the speach Dr. Watson gave a few hours ago in the Blabbity Bevin. You'll find the chatlog in the Spoiler section of the forum.

Really? If you think this is good game storyline, then I suggest some comparitive shopping... there are many other games that are not even interactive and have 10x the storyline that URU has and can really pull at the heartstrings at times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:01 am 
Creative Kingdoms

If you leave now, you'll miss the Season Finale where ResEng233 emerges from the DRC office to publicly announce that a single "bad" Bahro has slaughtered all former and current members of the DRC during a secret planning session. Ok, speculation, but that might even be a happy cliffhanger for you, eh? Could happen. ;)

Last edited by JWPlatt on Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:01 am 

I've read all the chat logs, and they read like a soap opera.

I understand the concept of "You are You", and I've played all the games in the franchise. In my opinion, which I have a right to, Jalak and this episode have offered very little in terms of puzzles and gameplay. And Minkata, well, that was a puzzle without context, but at least it was a puzzle.

There are countless forums and instant messenger programs that allow for real time conversation and speculation. What they don't offer are the gameplay and puzzles that defined the whole MYST experience.

Plot twists and intrigue are great if that's what floats your boat, but this is not "MYST, online" This is a drama, with actors playing renditions of characters mentioned in the games, with occasional old content re-released, and new content that pales in comparison to the original product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:17 am 

JWPlatt wrote:
If you leave now, you'll miss the Season Finale where ResEng233 emerges from the DRC office to publicly announce that a single "bad" Bahro has slaughtered all former and current members of the DRC during a secret planning session. Ok, speculation, but that might even be a happy cliffhanger for you, eh? Could happen. ;)

I'm not leaving just yet. January is Gametap's last month so until then I will be around. Afterwards, there is the possiblility of paying-to-play on an every other month basis. In any case, I will remain a visitor of the forums if not to participate in game-play at least to aggrievate you. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:20 am 

Are you SURE there is no gameplay? Just cause we haven't found it yet, doesn't mean it isn't there. The characters seem to be dropping all kinds of hints and clues!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:24 am 

Dr Britcom Mom wrote:
Plot twists and intrigue are great if that's what floats your boat, but this is not "MYST, online" This is a drama, with actors playing renditions of characters mentioned in the games, with occasional old content re-released, and new content that pales in comparison to the original product.

If that is your point of view then I can understand your disappointment.

My point of view is that this year the foundation was laid for what I hope will be a truely remarkable adventure. Yes we got old gaming content, but how would all of the new folks - some who never played URU:ABM or the expansions - understand the basis of the Story if they could not play the original games? Cyan has spent a lot of time and effort transfering those games over to the new physics engine so that everyone (both PC and MAC folks) could start out on an even footing. Yes, some of the new content is not up to the complexity of - say - Kadish, but considering that it was all created and given to us in a year's time - I'm truely supprised we even got them.

So I will wait till the end of the season final, then will I decide if it's been worth the money I've been paying for it. I hope that what will be given is a look forward to what will come next season. Which will have to be all new content as all the available old stuff has been released. Well - almost all of it. :wink:

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:55 am 

I too miss the adventure. Where are the subtle clues, the odd clues, the great exploring. Yes, the story is important as well but that seems to be running amok and there is no adventure. If you have to go to the forums to find out what is going on in the game, the game is not living up to expectation.

Please stop the cryptic nonsense of your DRC spokespeople. If you have something to say, say it. This current stuff isn't very good story and unless you are online 24/7 is impossible to follow.

I agree Dr.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:06 am 

I'm not online 24/7, but I understand the story. Maybe I don't know the minute watson said a certain phrase, but I know the story well enough to articulate it to someone, and recruit people to URU. I don't see the merit in the argument, you just have to go a bit more investigating to find the story this time, IMHO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:22 am 
Obduction Backer

Jacquet wrote:
Are you SURE there is no gameplay? Just cause we haven't found it yet, doesn't mean it isn't there. The characters seem to be dropping all kinds of hints and clues!

As always, I hold the opinion that everything's a puzzle. If there don't seem to be any puzzles, then you're not looking hard enough. I mean, noone's ever solved Jalak; it's been more than a month and the world's toughest puzzle solvers can't seem to crack it!

Seriously, though, I tend to lean toward Dr.'s view, but I think Kero makes a stronger point:
Kero wrote:
My point of view is that this year the foundation was laid for what I hope will be a truely remarkable adventure.

So as is often suggested (though perhaps without such good intentions) leave the game alone for a little while and come back. I have little doubt Uru's going to pick up after PotS is done. Cyan's got a pretty good track record, given time. I mean, Uru's here again, right? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:38 am 
Obduction Backer

Oh good - no flaming going on, that's good!

I don't want anyone to leave - stay - be in the cavern, wander around all the ages. But, if you go - remember that we'll leave a light on in the cavern for when you return. It's never really goodbye!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:33 am 

One comment that's always bothered me is the "soap opera" comparison.

Now, I've looked over my mother's shoulder while she's watched a few soap operas, and I really must ask you: What soap opera are you watching?

The restoration of a lost civilization, a mysterious race that can link at will, the formation of a guild system, and conflicting politics... Hey, I'd probably watch that show.

Besides, no one has amnesia yet, so it can't be a soap opera. :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next