It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:31 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: User created cave mazes?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:32 pm 

D'ni is, after all, set in a cave; what if they left some drilling equipment for users to make mazes with? Include a flashlight, fire marbles, spreadable bio luminescence and basic cave art chalk; and you'd have a personalizable and ever expanding minigame. Would this be feasible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:38 pm 

It's not a bad idea, IMO.

Just try to avoid the graphical equivalent of Zork's "You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike."

:P

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:33 am 

The DRC let us loose with anciant D'ni drilling equipment with no training, experiance or guidence to drill random tunnels though potentualy unstable rock in an anciant and unique archialogical expedition which is already in a rather delicate state?! :shock: I think they'd link you to a prison age without your Relto book for 6 months just for thinking about it :lol:

And no, I don't think Yeesha would be that eager to see us undermining the city and getting ourselves killed in collapsed tunnels either :P

But apart from the IC reasons against this I like the idea, I suppose that if it could be implimented I suppose that you could Draw the maze plan on a console that then automaticly operates a remote drilling unit that carves out the passage. The object is to get out before the unshored tunnel collapes and you panic link out :) Well that's one way of having the puzzle reset itself for the next round. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:37 am 
Obduction Backer

Once we can create our own ages, there's no reason why we can't find an odd linking book and get stuck in a maze. It would be an odd way to excavate in-cavern though, and I'm sure the DRC wouldn't sanction it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:48 am 

Actualy, I suppose that instead of drilling tunnels though rock, what about somthing similer to what was in Terahnee(sp?) with a restructuable maze? Not using slaves of course but very clever water powerd mechanics (the mechanics being clever, not the water. Although that is a thought, after all Riven water had microbes of some sort that made it avoid heat so why not an age with sentiant water? Although I suppose that if you were to use sentiant water to drive machinery that could be clasified as slavery still, and I'd dread to think of the moral dilemer you'd be in if you were stuck on the age and got thirsty! :shock: ), er, where was I again? :? Oh yes, a Mechanical maze with prehaps a console that will enable you to rearrange the openings in a 3D arrangement of rooms (each units floor has a ladder that can be raised to allow acess to the trapdoor of the floor above, and some are one way so once you go though the trapdoor closes behind you).

Would that sound more feasable? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:42 am 

:D A randomly changing Age is what we need - say... it changes everytime you link in. Think of the fun you could have with another member - or more, in seeing who who could find the exit first.

You can take it further - and allow other members to witness individuals progress on a 2d imager. Hints could be given - if required by members participating in this recreation via that all important Ki.

Just another one of my thoughts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:56 am 

haha, i like Tokai's idea, a randomly changing age, wow, i can imagine all the fun that would be! i know i'd run through it constantly just cause it'd be so much fun :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

the original idea was to have us be able to set markers for our own purposes...hide and seek games and scavenger hunt sort of games....
you would set markers, and tell people how many there were and see if they could find them all.....

should be one of the easier ideas to bring back...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:01 am 
Obduction Backer

Tokai wrote:
A randomly changing Age is what we need

Actually someone has already experimented creating such an Age for Until Uru it is rightfully called 'The Maze' and was done by MercAngel. While it was a bit experimental it worked. But doing this in a cave setting would imply much complex graphics and a much more evolved layout and would be quite difficult to do. Not to mention that doing it in the actual D'ni cavern would raise some 'canon' issues. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:22 pm 

I was gonna say that but aloys beat me to it ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:57 am 

You sit at an ancient D'ni terminal, plot out your maze, and the machinery cuts a cave to your specifications. Then you decorate it. Half a year later, and I still say it's a good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

I like the idea of there being a maze with a book in the center, as well as a console.

You start at the outside.

When you find your way to the center, you get to either randomize or design a new version of the maze for the next person. Then you get to link through the prize-book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:52 pm 

Moleculor wrote:
I like the idea of there being a maze with a book in the center, as well as a console.

When you find your way to the center, you get to either randomize or design a new version of the maze for the next person. Then you get to link through the prize-book.

Yeah, that sounds cool. I wonder how hard it would be to program something like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:01 pm 

ichormosquito wrote:
Yeah, that sounds cool. I wonder how hard it would be to program something like this.

At first we need a general tool chain to create ages and to convert the output of 3d programs like Blender to age files. There are plans from Cyan and some users to create such tools.

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Moleculor wrote:

A bit like a maze version of the Wall. I like it.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next