It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:02 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
This might seem like an irrelevant topic here, but I believe In Cavern parties contribute a great deal to building the Uru Community, so I want everyone to have the opportunity to participate. Considering some of the questions I’ve seen lately, and remembering my own early experiences (I think I didn’t even know how to “window out” to access the music), and not wanting anyone to feel left out because they don’t know what to do, I think it’s worthwhile. I hope some more experienced people will contribute some helpful hints as well – especially in the accessing music department and the Traditions section.

Finding parties
Most of the public parties are usually posted on the MOUL forum in the General Discussion section. You can also find many posted on the UruTunes and Guild of Greeters calendars. Most Uru parties take place in neighborhoods [Bevins] which are made public in the Nexus, and are open to both Explorers and Visitors. If you can’t find the neighborhood listed in the Nexus, click on the Population button and it should show up near the top. Some parties are held in The Watcher’s Pub or an Eder Delin which are only accessible to Explorers. And, some parties are held in private ages and require an invitation to attend.

Getting the Invite
Parties held in private ages require an invitation to that age. (Note: just because it’s in a private age doesn’t make it a private party; if it wasn’t open to all explorers, it wouldn’t be posted for all to see.) The usual method for securing an invitation is to simply post your avatar name and KI number to the forum thread. If you’re not comfortable doing that, look to see if the host is accepting requests by forum PMs or by KI mail in the cavern. The host usually sends out all the invitations at one time, so there might be a deadline to sign up, and don’t expect to receive it until a day or two at the most before the party date. Once you receive the invitation, the link will show up in your Nexus under Private Links.

Accessing the Music
It’s usually best to access the music before going into the cavern if possible, and that information is usually included in the announcement. However, if you link into a populated hood just out of curiosity and find everyone dancing… well then, go to the imager to see if the information is posted there. If it’s not, it’s okay to ask, “Where’s the music?” (Be ready to write down the information.) If you’re really too shy to ask, then just wait a few minutes and someone will likely announce it. Also, if your KI flashes shortly after you link in, then someone has probably sent the information to you by KI mail. Now, find a place out of the way to go /afk, and use the window key to access your desktop.

Most D’niJ’s (Uru DJ's) are now using UruTunes (the best thing to happen to the cavern since the KI – but without all the bugs!) which is very easy to use. See below.

Lord Chaos wrote:
Shoutcast is very easy to use. If you can play music on your computer you're halfway there. Just come to a party and the host will tell you how to do it. Here are some specific examples:
1. Direct URL with your media player. Any media player will work. Find the "Open URL" or "Open Stream" command (in the File or Advanced menu) and enter the URL (example: tomorrow's D'ni expletive Party will be at http://gtradio.zapto.org:8000 and hit enter. You should soon hear music.
2. Link from server status page: enter the URL (as in the example above) into your browser. When the Shoutcast Server Status page appears, click on the "Listen" link at the top. Your media player should open and start playing music.
3. Link from urutunes.com: Go to www.urutunes.com in your browser. Click on the button at the top that corresponds to the music you want, such as "GT Radio" for the expletive Party. Your media player should open and start playing, but if it doesn't try one of the other routes. Or ask the host. They've done it before. :)

Dancing
You can make your avatar dance by typing /dance or using Ctrl 4. For parties, Ctrl 4 is the preferred method since using /dance makes it show up in the chat (Tai’lahr does a dance), and if everyone did that repeatedly, we wouldn’t be able to hold a conversation! :P
Alternative dance moves: The standard dance emote is not always the most appropriate for every song, so some explorers have created their own dance moves. The most common is the side to side movement, using the comma & period (< >) keys. Another one is the slow dance with a partner, using the tab key (which makes the avatar “chat” [so if you have voice chat, make sure the microphone is off]) and the left or right arrow key to turn. (If anyone knows who invented this dance, I would love to give them credit here; I think it’s an absolutely beautiful option, and finally got to try it out myself, recently.)

Emoting Refreshments, etc.
Often times, the party host(s) or attendees will emote actions such as handing out tasty treats. (Be sure to say, “thank you.” :wink: ) You can do this yourself by simply typing /me and whatever you would like to say. For example, if I typed, “/me passes around a plate of fresh cookies” it would come out as “Tai’lahr passes around a plate of fresh cookies.”

Traditions
What would any community be without traditions? Novice party-goers might feel a little more acclimated if they knew a little history before going in. Two of the longest-running parties in MOUL began in Until Uru: The Under The Roots party that is now held in The Watcher’s Pub started out as the Up On the Roof party on the Tokotah Rooftop. The D'ni expletive Party is another one that began in Until Uru, and is still going strong.

Lord Chaos wrote:
Suggestions for helping everyone have fun:
Please walk away from the link-in spot as soon as you can. Lingering causes problems for newcomers.
Please don't use voice chat. No one can hear you anyway, as they're receiving Shoutcast.
If you need to leave for a time, please park your avatar in an out-of-the-way spot so no one stumbles over you.
Parties are BUSY. The hosts do their best to greet everyone, but they may miss your arrival amid the flood. Please don't be offended; just type /shout Shorah! and we'll all know you're here. :)

If you're a little nervous about joining an established crowd, we understand. It can be daunting. You'll soon find, though, that people are friendly. Put yourself forward a bit, ask questions if needed, and enjoy the party. We're a kindly bunch.

Edit: replaced "Do Not's" list with LC's Suggestions.
This is a work in progress; suggestions for improvements are greatly appreciated. :)

Last edited by Tai'lahr on Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:40 am 

Ignore the man behind the curtain, Toto........ Great info, Tai'lahr and a great help to new folk wanting to get on the party circuit!

SL:
DMom2K Darwin

Currently residing in Guild Wars2 with DudeDad and trying to play Watch Dogs
Citizen of the Metaverse and oh, yeah, The Dude abides....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:28 am 

Those aren't still my bahro cookies from the other night are they? :( They've got to be stale by now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:05 am 

Ah, Tai, this is absolutely brilliant. A one-page summary of all the stuff I think everyone knows... but they don't! Now they have a place to find it all clearly laid out. Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ha! A detailed list of instructions on how to "party." :wink: :wink: :wink: It just goes to show how strange online games can be. Good job with the post, BTW, this is info newbies don't often come by.

KI#01165421
Hey! Visit The Jalak Registry, the source for all things Jalak. Yes, it's still open!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:23 pm 

Here's a proposal for rewording the last part in more gentle terms:

Suggestions for helping everyone have fun:
Please walk away from the link-in spot as soon as you can. Lingering causes problems for newcomers.
Please don't use voice chat. No one can hear you anyway, as they're receiving Shoutcast.
If you need to leave for a time, please park your avatar in an out-of-the-way spot so no one stumbles over you.
Parties are BUSY. The hosts do their best to greet everyone, but they may miss your arrival amid the flood. Please don't be offended; just type /shout Shorah! and we'll all know you're here. :)

If you're a little nervous about joining an established crowd, we understand. It can be daunting. You'll soon find, though, that people are friendly. Put yourself forward a bit, ask questions if needed, and enjoy the party. We're a kindly bunch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Nice Thread (from someone who has never attended a party).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks DM & LC. :D Thanks to Witch2 for the title change suggestion (done) and to Lord Chaos for rewording the "Do Not" list to be more positive and encouraging (substituted). This is a work in progress and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. :)

I'd also like to see some posts about unusual occurrences during a party - things that might confuse a newcomer. For instance, last night, the Nexus showed 36 people in the D'ni Jazz Club hood, but when I linked in, there wasn't a soul in "sight." :shock: I immediately realized that I probably had the "invisible" bug, so I logged out and back in (twice, actually), and that did the trick. Something else that sometimes happens when a neighborhood is full of people, is that the doors to the linking book room appear closed to some people. There's not much you can do about that one except "Relto out" (when you're ready to leave).

And, then there's dealing with the trouble-makers. One reason I mentioned voice chat in my "Do Not" list was because we had a visitor playing music over voice chat during the Rebel Hood party. :roll: Of course, the party host or another seasoned explorer will probably deal with the situation, but the newcomer needs to know that they do not have to have their evening ruined in the meantime - that they can mute voice chat by accessing the audio settings through the tool box (wrench icon).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:54 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Kudos to this nice thread and Tai'lahr's relentless pursuit of positive efforts to contribute to, and inspire, the community. Tai'lahr has been one of the greatest unsung heroes of the year in the Cavern with her positive spirit, enthusiasm, endless stream of ideas, listening with care, and organizational and motivational skills. This is just one example of what she tirelessly has done all year long. I am proud to have her as a hoodmate in our small Revelations hood. I don't mean to hijack this into a Praise Tai'lahr thread, but I am compelled to notice her effort here. She did start the "Explorer Accolades" thread on behalf of all explorers for the purpose of praise for those like Tai'lahr if you want to post there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:20 am 

What JWPlatt said!

Just say hi when you link in. I and others try to make a point of watching for new names popping up on the Age Players list and try to get a hi out to them. Don't be afraid to ask where the music is, if there is "food," or any other question you might have. People are pretty friendly at the parties and want everyone to have a good time. Dancing on the fountain is a lot of fun but if you want to just hang back and relax, there is usually a group standing around the fountain. We love to see new people come to the parties and we will try to help you get involved if we can! Happy Dancing!

SL:
DMom2K Darwin

Currently residing in Guild Wars2 with DudeDad and trying to play Watch Dogs
Citizen of the Metaverse and oh, yeah, The Dude abides....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:53 am 
Obduction Backer

Thanks JW ! :oops: and DM :) The support and encouragement from people like you is what keeps me motivated! cough*supportthetickethere*cough

Now, back on topic. :wink:
ces wrote:
Nice Thread (from someone who has never attended a party).

Thank you, I hope you found it useful. Does this mean that you'll attend a party, now? Or, is there something else we can say or do that would make it easier for you to attend one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:12 am 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr,

Thanks for the encouragement! It's mostly a matter of timing - it seems like the parties are either in the evening or on the weekend in my time zone - and those are times when I'm with my hubby. I'll get to one eventually.

Actually, a problem is my KI - it just doesn't seem to work right. Or maybe it's just voice chat that isn't working right. I don't know. I need to sit down and really troubleshoot it one of these days - after reading one of the many excellent KI manuals available. But that isn't going to happen until next year - too many things going on now with the holidays!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]