It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:15 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:13 pm 
Site Admin

Hopefully, the extremely slow downloads and Net 6 errors for a "significant minority of unlucky people" has been fixed. There is still more to do but if you have had these kinds of problems, please try again.

I am very sorry that this has taken this long to fix. It took a lot of head pounding, researching, staring at bits and especially, a lot of help from some very tech savvy fans. Like Mac_Fife and friends who kept the ball rolling in the "Are you one of the unlucky ones?".
But a very special thanks to a'moaca' for her unbelievable in-depth analysis of the problem. And cjkelly1 for the nugget that led to the resolution.

So here is what it was:

In layman's terms:
An update to the servers caused a problem. The problem part was told to stop. A better update will be made in the future.

In tech novice terms:
A new feature that was included in a Windows service pack was incompatible with earlier versions of the network card's drivers. The old data center's servers did not have this service pack so that is why we did not see it until the move. So initially, the new feature has been disabled. But the final thing to do is update the network drivers and try re-enabling the feature again.

In geek terms:
Windows 2003 SP2 installed "Scalable Networking Pack" and enabled TCP Offloading. TCP Offloading moves some of the TCP stack down to the network adapter which improves performance on the main CPU, just like video or physics accelerators. However, the network adapter's drivers on the servers were too old and were not ready to fully handle this kind of offloading. This interfered with the way TCP adapted to slow and packet losing connections. So, if you have a fast clean connection you would not see the problem. If you didn't then very slow downloads and loss connections for you.
So, the quick fix was to disable TCP Offloading (in particular TCP Chimney) (BTW, the old data center servers was on SP1, so it was not the moved that caused the problem but the SP2 update on the new machines at the new data center. Heh.)
The long term fix is to update the network adapter's drivers and then re-enable TCP Offloading so that we can get the benefits from that (maybe a few grains of speed).

Thanks!
Chogon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:28 pm 

Nice work folks.. and I mean EVERYONE! I now have my fast connection to the servers back.

Great job!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:31 pm 

Yay! Thank you to everyone who was working on this! :) And thanks Chogon for posting the explanation of the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:37 pm 

well done, chogon :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:44 pm 

Well what do you know... It WAS the checksum offload problem, just on the server. If it wasn't so disruptive a problem it would be funny. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

In the spirit of Cyan Chat, we should give Mac_Fife, a'moaca', and cjkelly1 the power to post in a (Cyan) blue font for a week or so. Although never affected myself, a hearty cheer to all who helped. What wonderful work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:25 am 

/cheer, /cheer, /cheer! My startup times are now back to what they were before the server move. Congrats to Chogon et al. and bigto b'fahrah to the community members who helped figure it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:38 am 
Obduction Backer

Yea!!! Thanks to all who are much smarter than I am and fixed this problem!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:46 am 
Obduction Backer

This has made my day! :D I wasn't having the problem, but knowing it was happening fed my sense of discouragement about MO:UL. So I'm not just happy for those who are finally able to get into the game; I'm happy for all of us!

It would be a very nice gesture for Cyan to turn the December sparkly on again for a while so all the people who were shut out could go pick it up. In fact, I think I'll go make the suggestion.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:27 am 
Obduction Backer

Awesome job to all who worked on this, inside Cyan and outside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:50 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Good news and kudos!

With all the good cheer, I almost feel guilty pointing out:
Screwed again by Microsoft. BOHICA.

Umm, just one more sarcastic remark about karma and a familiar refrain, usually from the other direction:
"Please make sure you have the latest drivers."

Guffaw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:52 am 

Haha, excellent JWP. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:20 am 

heh I had it right, but I was telling the wrong people to check thier computers :roll:

leading us down new paths

Walt Disney

Keep moving forward

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:32 am 

Well done, sir!

Now, you may have noticed that a'moaca' also noticed that "the SACK information from the client is being ignored, possibly even stripped before the MOUL servers get the packets." Your next task is to discover the cause of this and put a stop to it, for extra performance goodness! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:58 am 

Kerryth wrote:
This has made my day! :D I wasn't having the problem, but knowing it was happening fed my sense of discouragement about MO:UL. So I'm not just happy for those who are finally able to get into the game; I'm happy for all of us!

It would be a very nice gesture for Cyan to turn the December sparkly on again for a while so all the people who were shut out could go pick it up. In fact, I think I'll go make the suggestion.

Kerryth, I second your motion. :idea: :idea: :idea:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next