It is currently Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:35 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:58 pm 

EVENT - Uru Field Trip - Second Life
DATE - Saturday, March 1st
TIME - 12:00 KI Time (Noon) and running about 7+ hours
PLACE - Beginning in Thend's Hood (Uru), then moving to Second Life
HOSTS - Thend (Uru)/Thend Destiny (SL), the Puzzlers, & many, many very friendly Second Life Uruites

WHAT IT IS
- An exploratory introduction to the Uru Community & environment of Second Life for those who may not wish to go it alone, with the focus on Safety, Learning, & Fun - in that order

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE
- Visits to the SL Relto & Hood re-creations
- Meeting the SL Uru Community
- Customizing & Clothing your Avvie
- Learning to Fly
- Teleportation Simplified
- Shopping & FREE STUFF!
- Creating Objects
- Q & A Time
- Uru/SL Karaoke Party at the SL Uru Hood

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO
- Go to secondlife.com
- Pick the Basic Plan (Free), create your Avvie First Name, then choose a Last Name from the drop-down list (pick one that 'speaks' to you), Register, & Log Out
- Post your Uru Live Name and KI & full Second Life Avvie name in this thread
- Meet at Thend's Hood (Uru) at Noon KI Time on March 1st & we'll all head to SL together (if you arrive late, go directly to SL & you will contacted, and/or be able to find us by Searching Uru Groups or Names)
- Once in SL, we will stick together as a Group. Also, the Buddy System will be in place. You will be paired-up with experienced Uru SLers to guide you & answer any questions.

(Btw, this Field Trip is unfortunately only open to folks Age 18 & Over due to SL's Terms of Service. For reference, there is a SL for Teens (Age 13 to 17) at teen.secondlife.com - but you would have to check that out for yourselves)

Folks are asked to keep an open mind and, if you are interested, feel free to join in. In the future, there will be similar Field Trips to other places. Lord Chaos & I are in the planning stages for one to Guild Wars. Ti'chelle is considering one to There.com (Ly'net has expressed interest in this, as well). Keep an eye out for details on those. Also, I'd encourage organizing forays into any of the other spots out there where Uruites may be congregating. I'm willing to assist or at least tag along, if possible.

The point of this Second Life venture, as well as any other such Field Trips, is two-fold...

First is obvious. I know there are concerns about moving elsewhere in general and these Field Trips are engineered to alleviate that as much as possible. Uru has a strong, diverse, dynamic Community. This means that where we go from here may take us in different directions, but does not mean we need lose contact with eachother. We've been through a lot together. We can and should continue to learn, grow, & share our experiences together, no matter where we are - as a Community.

Second, while it's true we will be 'refugees' in a sense, this doesn't mean we have to passively consent to the ways we may perceive other worlds work. We are more than that. We are Uru. We take this wherever we go. Thus, instead of this being just looked upon as us assimilated BY other environments, I see it more as bringing who we are and what we've learned in Uru TO other environments. Through our example we can provide those places with our own unique way of living and interacting. Perhaps, of the thousands upon thousands of people out there, some of them may hear 'The Call', as well.

We don't have to subject ourselves to the same xenophobia the D'ni had. We are Explorers, remember, may our curiousity and seeking of uncharted cultures and territories never end. When we return to the Cavern, even if we still co-exist elsewhere, we will be stronger and wiser for our explorations. We may even bring back a few new buddies to share the Journey of Uru with ;)

As stated above, those going on the SL Field Trip should post in this thread. Apart from that, I also recommend posting your SL and any other online world Avvie names you might wish to share in the MO:UL thread - WHO'S WHO & WHERE - Online Avvie Names - so everyone can find eachother easier. Once I work out the format, a complete Avvie Name list will be available and updated at the Puzzlers site (exact address to be added soon). There, I will also post few Cheat Sheets for Second Life by Dudemom, and any other related information on SL and other places.

(ADDED)

IT IS TODAY...

First, thanks to everyone participating in this :)

(If you wish to assist in any way, and I sincerely appreciate all the offers, it's best to just be present on the Field Trip. Due to the incredible response, more experienced folks will be assigned to Field Trippers as they arrive and things have already been largely planned out in a way to best cover a variety of topics/areas in the limited amount of time. Of course, as there may be returning folks, in the second half of this Trip there will be the opportunity to more casually share your knowledge and Landmarks with SL newcomers)

Below is the Itinerary for the Field Trip (you will also have a copy of this in SL). Please note that the times are in Linden Time (US Pacific Time). Nevertheless, the time for the Field Trippers to initially meet in Thend's Bevin in Uru Live is KI TIME, 12 Noon, as stated in the first post in this thread (this will be the only time KI Time is referenced today).

All Field Tripper names should be on our Field Trip Group list in SL. However, if this somehow isn't the case, and/or you aren't Teleported to our location in a reasonable amount of time whenever you come in, then use the Search Function in SL and IM 'Thend Destiny', and I will see that you are brought to our location (this includes if you come in late, as we may be preoccupied and not immediately see you). Please repeat this if you don't get a Teleport and/or response from me.

When you log in to SL, you will most probably have a few Friendship/Landmark Requests. At this point, they should all be from the Field Guides for this Trip, so it's fine to accept them. If, however, now or in the future, any of them don't look 'right' to you, regarding Friendship offers particularly, simply Search the name and read their Profile. If it contains something about Uru, it's my opinion it would likely be 'safe', but please always use your discretion.

Concerning the Landmarks (links to places) that we will use on this Trip, and at any other time, always check first before ever returning to them, as many are private residences that, at least for this Trip, are being offered for our benefit, so please be respectful of that and their Owners. Either ask the Owner directly, or someone who would know for sure, what each individual Landmarks's visiting or non-visiting status in the future may be.

As stated before, Safety on this Trip is our main priority. As everything has been set up, there should be little to no issues. If, however, you have any concerns/needs regarding any difficulties related to this, you will be accompanied at all times by a Field Guide assigned to you, and you can always refer to them directly if anything comes up. In this light, also please do not leave your Field Guide or the Group at any point, so as to further insure everyone's security and peace-of-mind.

Btw, I was intending to post Dudemom's Cheat Sheets, etc, on the Puzzlers site but have not had an opportunity due to time spent in organizing. Everything will be gone over within the program, though and, again, your Field Guide will be there to assist and/or answer any questions you may have rather than you having to read through the material at this stage yourself. At the earliest possible convenience, more information will be posted on Puzzlers for any possible later excursions you may take to SL.

That said, it is highly suggested you have a Note Pad closeby your desktop to jot down information as you receive it, if need be. The Trip is designed to accomodate the Basics you will need to know and as simply as possible, but there may be times you will find it useful to write down the steps to things, etc for easier reference and remembering.

Seeya all soon ;)

As the Uru Field Trippers (FT's) arrive to Second Life, Teams will be assigned to SLers, who will act as their Team's 'Field Guide' (FG) to watch, assist, & answer questions for their Team. During the Field Trip, in the interest of time and clarity, all are asked to please observe the Itinerary and its elements laid-out below and follow it as closely as possible. Also note that some listings are tentative, dependent upon conditions, etc. Thank you to everyone for your participation in this Event and let's have a great day :)

URU FIELD TRIP - Saturday, March 1st

(All times listed are in Linden Time)

11:00 AM - Gather in Uru Live, Thend's Hood - Orientation for Uru Field Trippers, Safety & Guidelines, Search Function

11:30 AM - Head to Second Life, Bevin - Orientation for Field Trippers & SLers, Guidelines, Meet & Greet, Buddy System/Teams Set-Up, Group Creating, Landmarking, Teleporting, Camera Angles, Exploring

12:30 PM - Romantic Relto - Dakotah, Thor, & Brian speak on Uru/SL, Flying Lessons, Exploring

01:00 PM - Classroom at Harris - PatB speaks on Uru/SL, Property & Building in SL Roundtable Discussion & Q&A,

02:00 PM - PatB Creating Objects Basic Introduction

02:30 PM - Peachy & Zed's Condo - Peachy & Zed speak on Uru/SL, Clothing & Avvie Boxes (New Avvies, Clothing, Yeesha Shirts, Objects & Dancing Emotes, etc), Customizing, Inventory Organizing & Usage, Chillin' & casual Q&A

03:30 PM - Invites/Landmark Exchange, Optional Tours leaving to Different Areas - Arcana Nuevo (Myst/Uru-themed Castle), Pot Healer (Myst-like Puzzle), Straylight (Eder-like Garden), Grendel's Children (Avatars, Animals, & Dragon Eggs)

06:00 PM - Bevin - Sil speaks on Uru/SL & DJ's Karaoke Party (End of Field Trip, Beginning of PAR-TAY!)

Last edited by Thend on Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:17 pm 

Second Life---> fchall Fall
URU---> see sig
May not be there but just in case.
Great idea

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thend wrote:
(Btw, this Field Trip is unfortunately only open to folks Age 18 & Over due to SL's Terms of Service. For reference, there is a SL for Teens (Age 13 to 17) at teen.secondlife.com - but you would have to check that out for yourselves)

My personal view is that this will exclude many valuable explorers. The Uru community has a great group of young and talented people and it would be a shame if they are excluded from further contact.

Quote:
Uru has a strong, diverse, dynamic Community. This means that where we go from here may take us in different directions, but does not mean we need lose contact with eachother. We've been through a lot together. We can and should continue to learn, grow, & share our experiences together, no matter where we are - as a Community.

Yes fully agree. So we need to find a way to continue this including all those who are excluded in the SL trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:03 pm 

Completely agreed on both points. Also, not every place will suit every person for a variety of reasons. Necessary to actively seek out all possibilities for ways in which our Community can continue to maintain contact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:12 pm 

MO:UL - Colmann
KI - 08664979

Second Life: Egil Milner

I've actually been around SL longer than I have been around MO:UL.

veralun wrote:
... we need to find a way to continue this including all those who are excluded in the SL trip.

If you mean that alternatives to Second Life should be explored as well, I would certainly agree. Fortunately, we have a number of places on this board to discuss those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:19 pm 

Thend wrote:
Ages 18 and over due to SL's terms and conditions...

Well, I'm out then. :roll: :?

However, I'll join you in the Uru half of the party - look forward to more great music! :)

TG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

SL----ural arado
uru----ural
there---ural

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:40 pm 

veralun wrote:
Thend wrote:

My personal view is that this will exclude many valuable explorers. The Uru community has a great group of young and talented people and it would be a shame if they are excluded from further contact.

Quote:
Uru has a strong, diverse, dynamic Community. This means that where we go from here may take us in different directions, but does not mean we need lose contact with eachother. We've been through a lot together. We can and should continue to learn, grow, & share our experiences together, no matter where we are - as a Community.

Yes fully agree. So we need to find a way to continue this including all those who are excluded in the SL trip.

In the spirt of the "where we go from here may take us in different directions..." there are alternatives. Particularly those under 18 will not be excluded if they seek venues friendly to their age group.

I recommend THERE.com for consideration of anyone, particularly those of our community who may not be able to qualify due to age of a particular worlds terms of service. The average age in THERE.com is 10 years younger than the average age of SL.

Most important, there are substantial Uru communities in both worlds. Perhaps join them both as I have done and have a backup.

Taelos - MO:UL
Taelos - THERE.com
Taelos Akami - Second Life

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:10 pm 

if i am around...

Calli Pinklady in SL

see sig for Uru names :)

-Calliope KI#00193315 (MO:UL)
-Pixel KI#00189718 (MO:UL)
-Pink KI#07856185 (MO:UL)

President of the ResEng fan club ;)
Bound by reasonable constraints, the Angel of Boundless Possibilities ponders escape.

Post subject: Field Trip to SL
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:21 pm 

I could spend a lot of time expressing my sadness that MOUL is closing (again). I'd rather focus on a positive, so I'm thinking about how this planned field trip is a great idea. Do you have enough space in Second Life to accommodate everyone? I would be glad to help by providing use of some land which would work well for lessons. One piece is fairly uncluttered and good for learning to fly, creating objects, etc. The other has some large structures, making it good for learning how to move around, getting familiar with camera angles, etc. without being too boxed in. They're near each other, and on a lake--the water isn't orange like at home, but its pretty in its own way. Thend, let me know if you would like me to set it up and which group name to put on the access list. If anyone in this community would like to try it before March 1st, my name in SL is Neelena Benavente. You can use the search button to find my profile and IM me. I'm not there all the time or everyday, but will watch for messages and posts here then get your name on the access list as soon as I can.

Shorah,

Neelena

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:03 am 

I'm out. I installed SL twice and both times had huge problems with my computer. Plus, it's empty there, vacant of feeling, joy, or sense of place. I'm also too old for There.

Have fun, tho, and keep going on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:19 am 

Hey Thend...I was Hoodie here in URU and have since retired from the Cavern. (Too sad for me). Anyway, I saw your post about SL. I am a Mentor in SL so I think I can help some of the new ones get started. My name in SL is Hoodie Bunnyhug. Feel Free to contact me anytime and welcome to all cavern dwellers!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:59 am 

taelos wrote:
I recommend THERE.com for consideration of anyone, particularly those of our community who may not be able to qualify due to age of a particular worlds terms of service. The average age in THERE.com is 10 years younger than the average age of SL.

There.com does not support Macintosh.

edited to add: I have to say a little more.

Despite Second Life's user-created grid being a free-for-all (sort of like Ayn Rand and Paris Hilton topless, drunk on mai tais, and running amok at an Amway convention), and despite its age policies, Second Life has some true advantages. They have consistently been pushing to enforce the PG ratings in areas on the grid that are so designated, and they are also continuing to develop their software, which runs on Windows, Macintosh, and Linux. They seem committed to making SL work as an open-source platform. Simple content creation tools are built in, and more complex tools (Blender, various animation tools) are open source.

And, if Linden Lab breaks something major, it gets fixed quickly. The longest I've ever been unable to connect to SL has been about two days. The longest I was shut out of MO:UL was around four weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:36 am 

MOUL: T_S_Kimball
SL: Alan Kiesler
There: T_S_Kimball (I've not been to There in ages though)

And in Travian's second instance of s1.travian.com (now reset on a new instance) I had taken over the account named 'WabbitSlayer' for most of last year - though looking at the profile you could see traces of my older Internet moniker - Sungak.

I will stop by the Hood recreation in SL to assist on that side (and may pull up a few items to show what can be done there). I freely admit that it's not for everyone - Heck, it took me six months to even consider trying to create anything at all, and still not the best at it. My roommate, on the other hand, got *really* good at vehicles (though he left saddened when he found out that there was a controls issue for flying).

As for 'quiet' or 'dead' regions, I would recommend several (still working) places from my own landmark list. Probably starting with Numbakulla (since it contains my 'home' landmark and will occasionally help newcomers - admittedly its also a plug for someplace I helped save with my own RL $$$ money). You can also say hello to some friends of mine who I helped with integrating biofeedback devices into SL (search 'mandala bead games').

Due to the open-source nature of the SL client nowadays, it not only has had attempts of compiles for other OS versions (like Sun Solaris UNIX), but others have created 'patched' versions of the client that incorporate changes that have not yet (or will never) end up in the official binaries (links here and here).

Anything considered for there.com I may do as the spectator rather than the assistant. ;) Also, that relies heavily on MS-IE for parts of its interface (which should explain why it does not run on Mac), so I'm not sure if my heavily-modified install of XP will allow that...

Other MMOs? Sorry, but no - I took a 'no combat' vow some years back, which got reinforced last year after getting sucked into Travian. I am starting to get involved in a local LARP again though, where I can basically 'run' my MOUL persona (with a few modifications). :-)

--TSK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:08 am 
Obduction Backer

I signed up for sl today. I'm really not impressed by the way it looks or works, but I'll give it a try for a bit and see.
I logged in today for the first time and ended up in an age where NO One spoke english. The signs weren't in english.
I went back later and made sure my preferences were set to english, and got dropped into some sort of weird city.
At any rate, my username is Trucker2000 munster.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next