It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Relentless nagging is not the choice we want to resolve the problems.
As I mentioned before we can start a new thread for this to see what is possible and how we can resolve them. :wink:

Edit:
New topic started

Last edited by veralun on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:32 pm 

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:52 pm 

Greetings and Shorah, all

I apologise for my apparent absence over the past couple of days. I have, believe it or not, been working on the Genesis concept and have been keeping an eye on the basic poll. I will post another poll shortly about the content of the basic content of the Age, but first a few points;

I have started setting up a website for the Genesis project (along with board, etc.) to keep people in contact, to keep people informed, and to let them discuss the Age. It is taking some time (as I'm sure some of your would know) but the main component will be a flash based book containing notes, forms, sketches, and everything else that may go into the age. It has started off as a basic gallery:

Genesis Cover

While the symbol is set, Genesis is still open to debate - though the poll has come up with no real alternatives.

A linking frame? Dark, of course. The book has yet to be written.

I have kept letter copies of my contacts with the Guilds and the support they have given.

But is being converted into a basic Flash e-book as you are reading this. If we have a starting point like this, with something visual and real for people to focus on I feel that it may draw in a lot more attention. As for the Age itself, I know that it will be a lot of hard work and I am fully aware that herding creators of any sort is a major task. However, we all live in hope and I hope to see an Age to commemorate this community come to light. I will work long and hard at it, and I hope that others will add their skills if the Age draws them to it, if not, their advice, comments, and complaints will be more than enough fuel to keep the Age going. ;)

I'd just like to cite a very good page project that seems to have died, but if brought to focus and updated weekly or biweekly could provide a major focal point for people:
http://guildofwriters.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:07 pm 

The problem here is still the fact that building an Age requires some measure of skill. Yeah, we have the opportunity to make some great stuff-- but only the people who know how will be able to do it.

I'm told that the plugin Cyan plans to release is for 3DS Max. I have no idea how to use this program and I'm debating if I should buy it, because I'm sure as heck not using Blender.

Also remember that when MORE is released, it will not come with the ability to add content. That is presumed to arrive after the release date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:01 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:57 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:29 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:21 am 
Obduction Backer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:11 pm 

Shorah again, all!

From now on I'll be keeping this topic updated on current news, not to mention the posts and PMs I have been using to keep in contact with the Guilds. I am glad that people like the Idea and I hope to meet them at the SL group gathering tonight - I will be making my very best effort to be there, though I swore to never again return to Second Life [a long and tragic tale involving Jesus, William Wilberforce, Pokemon, and a ballistic banana :p].

Anyway, to keep on topic; I am glad that people like the idea and have chosen to support it - now that people are aware of it's existence, and know where I am coming from, we should perhaps discuss the point of the age, and how we should go about designing it. As you have seen, I have been posting polls and questions to nudge people along into expressing their opinions on what should be done in the age - some already have set ideas on what they want to build, others only have vague suggestions - all of these are welcome as we can knit from them a quilt of ideas.

But at the very core of the age, and of Myst itself, is Game Theory - How to draw people in, and how to keep them fascinated or entertained. When I started contacting people about the project I was recommended (by more than one person) to find an artist to influence the age. Now, I'm not to sure about influencing the artistic style, but I think one of the best artists to influence the Age Concept would be de Chirico. His works have influenced other major games (ICO and Shadow of the Colossus) and I would be very surprised if it didn't have any impact on the Myst series.

The tower; brought to mind by something suggested in the Showcase age forum, of a Tower rising up out of the sand.

A tall tower in the distance, with other buildings to explore - a sense of location and destination.

A render of the Tower; made in the concept of "exploring" Giorgio de Chirico's paintings.

Balconies, walkways, and gardens - all locations you can see and eventually reach.

His very paintings inspire the three major assets of the Myst Games (discounting story):
Exploration.

To give a quick explanation of how they work, particularly in Uru:
Location: Cyan sets beautiful locations; whether it is the calm setting of a huge forest, filled with the slow thoughts of ancient trees; or if it the echoing halls of a massive underground city - they add all the detail that make such locations feel physical and real.

Destination: "Here and There" theory. I am here, that is there. Not only does it give the explorer a sense of location, but it also give them a destination to aim towards - a tower in the distance, or a doorway out of a cave. This begins to drive the explorer to be an active player and prevents them from just being a passive observer. This was best shown in Riven - when one could SEE the other islands out there. It gave one a sense of purpose - to get to those other islands.
It is also used in a very real teaser sense in Uru when [spoiler] you are linked into the balcony parts of the Cavern. You get to see a part of it that you cannot yet get to - which drives you on to finally get there. [/spoiler]

An island in the distance, vague, but with a path to get there...?

Exploration: The hint of a house beyond the treeline, or the option of different paths to take. This is the asset that turns the gamers into explorers, rather than people moving from point to point or from stage to stage - they actively decide, in the spirit of inquisitiveness, to find out what is through the door, on the other side of the glass, or around the bend.

So, to sum up - I think that an age with pointless puzzles (and I mean the bit-and-piece puzzles you find in, say, Myst 3) would be useless; but an age for people to explore, even in groups, would be interesting. In my opinion it was that that made Riven, Myst, and Uru the games that they are - the spirit of exploration. Which players of Uru are often called Explorers.

But like I said, this is just theory; basic gaming drives and Ideas - if you feel things should be done another way; with another drive in mind I would be more than happy to hear it! :D

Shevek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

the tower concept is interesting. I like the idea of linking in and instantly seeing it looming in the distance.

*edit*
I was sketching the other night, playing around with concepts for Genesis. I wanted to share.

It is hard to tell from the angle I drew, but the link in spot is on top of a cliff overlooking a small gulf. You can see a tower in the center of the gulf with a series of cables stretching across the water. The idea is that you would get to one of the cable cars and ride to the tower. Once at the tower, another cable could be ridden to get to the beach at the bottom of the cliff or other areas of the island.

It was just playing with the idea of having a tower in the distance.