It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:52 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:30 pm 

Trylon wrote:
Shorah,

I just read the news on Cyan open-sourcing uru.. Even though it is what I hoped the statement would be, it is certainly not what I expected....
I'm expecting quite a bit of chaos server-wise before there will be a good online experience....

How about us opening up (hosting) a discussion with the maintainers, cartographers, greeters and messengers about planning a Guild-Common shard (system)....?

This is being discussed in GOW and I thought it should have a more public discussion.

This my thoughts....

An inter guild server bank is a very good idea. I would imagine that doing this would create a server that would be highly popular and would facilitate a stricter rule system for content for the GOW and GOMa.

I believe the GOW should set up a test server as quick as possible. We have a lot of ages that people have been just clamoring to test in multiplayer. Once we have a steady handle on how it all will work, we can then continue with making agreements with the other Guilds.

We should however include as many other guilds in this early discussion as possible. ;)

Visit our new site!

SOUP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:38 pm 

Thanks for responding to my request, BAD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:36 pm 

I ask you to think back and not a long way to when MO:UL was running there were testers in game who had access to ages prior to release subject to an NDA (non disclosure agreement) Given that the shard source is going out there surely this mechanism should still exist whatever it is.

I was never a tester so I don't know if these were logged into the normal Shard or to a separate one someone who was a tester may be able to provide enlightenment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:52 pm 

Nice idea BAD :)

But, why calling it "inter-guild"? Let's just call it "Community" to show that we are open for collaboration with the entire community and not just the guilds.

Let's try to built our Main Uru Shard all together!! :D

EDIT:
JKla wrote:
I was never a tester so I don't know if these were logged into the normal Shard or to a separate one someone who was a tester may be able to provide enlightenment.

Since you said their're under NDA I don't think they're allowed to tell us anything. If they could they probabily would have already told us how it worked.

Last edited by Leonardo on Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:53 pm 

Leonardo wrote:
Let's try to built our Main Uru Shard all together!! :D

MUSH? :P

KI# 00140468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:03 pm 

:lol: yeah Frisky

oh...an idea just popped in my mind: the perfect place to discuss this effort to build the MUSH ( :lol: ) is the new OpenURU.org board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:06 pm 

I don't know if your being stupid intentionally Leonardo the NDA applied to content and not weather they were on the main shard or a separate one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:21 pm 

I like this idea, but it all depends on what Cyan has to say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:24 pm 

not intentionally, sorry.
That information wasn't so private: if you ever posted a "ticket" for a MOUL bug you may remember that you had to select which Shard you found the bug on, "Live server" or "Rehearsal Server"; so I think we can say that those were separate shards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

JKla wrote:
I don't know if your being stupid intentionally Leonardo the NDA applied to content and not weather they were on the main shard or a separate one.

Actually you were not allowed to say if you were on rehearsal.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:32 pm 

back to the topic,
BAD this is a great idea and i totally support it. I think the Guilds are a natural resource for coodinating things and NOT a effort by any one person like JW Platt or others to take control and assume a role in this. we need to work toegether to preserve the community support as widely as possible and to wait for Cyan to let us know the way things will work. I totally think the inter Guild approach is the way to go and what Cyan would want from their efforts to set up the Guild structure and have it be a wide net to support us all.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:35 pm 

I agree that if there is going to be a community shard, it shouldn't be guild-seperated but include all guilds. Something to bring us all back together is what we need i.e. The Myst Online type server where it was lots of different servers but you couldn't tell the difference. A system of integration would need to be set up for this though.

I'm with MUSH. :)

TG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:38 pm 

The idea I want to discuss is the set up of the Physical server bank. This will require financial, organizational, and technical investments.

What we are discussing is that the guilds (already promintent groups within the Uruverse) come to a collaboration to set up this idea. Whether the actual servers are called the Guilds server or not is inconsequential.

I will say that this server bank will belong to those that invest in it along any of those three parts. They will control the servers and therefore will do as they please with them. If we set up some kind of donation system to offset the costs of servers and bandwidth, then anyone who contributes should have a say in how the system is ran.

So in essence this will be the community server, if it is popular, and many people invest in it.

BUT!

We are getting way ahead of ourselves.

For now I just want to know if all the guilds are open to this idea. So lets stay on topic and worry about details later.

For now it seems the GOW and the GOMa are like minded and ready to do this. Any other guilds interested?

Visit our new site!

SOUP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:43 pm 

There are advantages to it being Inter-Guild:

GoW - They have already have a ton of resources for building Ages, Majority of Age Builders are there. That's were the plugin for Blender to create Ages is, and the GoW Wiki has Age Creation Tutorials.

GoMa - We've been testing fan Ages since we started our guild up over a year ago. We've seen the many quirks, problems, crashes, etc, to where we've even been able to point the solution out to the Age Creator. We have also tested Ages privately and set up areas for the Age Creator(s) to discuss things with our testers in a private part of the forum, until the creator was ready. We do Journal book testing too, for spelling, grammer, and even picture/sketch layouts. And I just happened to provide a secondary source of tutorials for Age Creation there. :wink:

GoMe - They've be working hard at trying to spread news, events, you name it among the community, both in the Guilds and around on the different forums. I've been amazed at how well and fast they have done this with as spread out as we are. This includes other online games too! They've shown up in There and SL to let people know what is going on.

GoC - We still need those maps!

GoG - We still need Greeters! I don't have time to greet! I'm too busy making Ages! We need people like the GoG, who have done this already and can help train others to do it too!

So there is already a massive advantage to useing Guilds and Groups! Look at all the info that DPWR net has as the GoA!

We can go on and on.

Oh and by the way, it's MOOSE (Myst Online Open SourcE) not MUSH! hehehehehehe

My Tutorials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:52 pm 

Not actively belonging to any Guild, I can answer as a neutral :P
I'm all for it, and I think that with the guilds working together, Cyan's original intentions for the Myst Lore will have the most change to be handled with integrity.

And... just to make the ones happy who have no desires to conform to any standards: provided participation remains voluntairy :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next