It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:34 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well, seeing as this topic has sort of split in two, let me address two separate issues here:

First off, I don't think the KI needs to be severely upgraded. Perhaps some fixes here and there are in order to make it more simple, but overall the KI interface and functionality are good in my opinion.

As of Music...

...All I want is the music player page back,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:59 am 
Obduction Backer

After approximately ten seconds of fiddling with the Ki, one word popped into my head: tooltips.

Make them optional, make them unobtrusive - but please, just make them :)

One big reason why some additional documentation is needed in the full-screen Ki interface is because Uru uses a lot of terms that Myst/Uru novices (such as myself) are unlikely to be familiar with. When you mouse over an option, there should be a short explanation of what that option means, indicating what those unfamiliar terms mean in the context of how they're used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:13 am 

Yeah, I know what you mean. At the beginning I had problems too. But check all options out, it's very intuitive.

-Qvist #25056

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:44 pm 

Alahmnat wrote:
Let's avoid turning this into a discussion about Apple, shall we?
But I like having an apple. They're quite tasty ;)

I can't really sympathize with the people saying a KI is too hard. I got the hang of mine very quickly (although granted its taken me a while to get the hang of the more advanced features, such as adding pics and entries to imagers). I got the necessary functions almost immediately.

Although if people can think up ideas to make using the KI easier, I'm all for them unless they would make the KI look ugly or less efficient. The last thing you want is an ugly GUI and I thought the KI was quite efficient as is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:31 pm 

Why put the KI instructions in the classroom?
Why not put a little button on your KI, with a question mark symbol or something, that opens up a manual with all the necessary information?

ooh, I feel a new feature request gnawing... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:37 pm 

There are KI instructions in the Classroom. Purple book.

No one reads it, though, I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:47 pm 

Amen for tooltips. That would make it easy. In fact, I think I'll submit a feature request for that.

Whilyam -- the purple book in the classroom doesn't cover everything, and you can't read it while you're off in, say, Eder Gira, and someone PMs you out of the blue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:30 pm 

Am I the only one who figured out most of the KI in around ten minutes without asking for help?

Seriously is very simple and easy to use, I can't see how much easier it could be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:01 pm 

Stevecrox wrote:
Am I the only one who figured out most of the KI in around ten minutes without asking for help?

Seriously is very simple and easy to use, I can't see how much easier it could be.

I disagree. For example -- let's say you want to allow a buddy to visit one of your Ages.

Clicking on Age Visitors -- which would seem to be obvious -- is the wrong thing to do! And yet, it's what everyone I've shown the KI to immediately tries to do whenever they want to invite someone. (You'd think -- pick Age Visitors, select your buddy from a drop-down list, pick the Ages they're allowed in, easy! Noooo ... )

Clicking on the Age name and then clicking your buddy also doesn't work.

First you have to click on your *buddy*. Then you have to click -- not on Age Visitors (which would be obvious) -- not on the name of the Age you want them to visit -- but on this little arrow next to the Age you want them to visit, which isn't even a different color from the rest of the interface.

I don't think it's obvious. It's not hard to figure out, but it certainly isn't intuitive, given my experiences.

I also fail to understand why we need peoples' KI numbers since users are not allowed to have duplicate user names. We should be able to add people by name from anywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

KI numbers are something private that you only get when you either run into someone face to face or they PM you, at which point they show up in your "recent" list. Think about what happened with Phil when he first showed up in Kemo, in private, to Zardoz. Once that chat log was posted, any old shmoe typing "phend" into their add buddy field would be able to PM him whenever he came online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks, Jimbo, for the link to a PDF print out of the KI book. I had used my digital camera before, but the images, that way, leave a lot to be desired, especially if one has the gamma high enough to see the city well. Thanks, again, Jimbo and Thanks to the Guild OF Greeters.
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Every game we play, requires a learning curve. Some games are easer than others in that respect, some game need a little more getting use to. I'm playing another online game for over a year and witnessed how the game was improved in many aspects, it grows better and better. I hope that the same thing will be in store for Uru :)

I know that the KI functions are not that simple and will require some learning (I remember myself learning it), but it's doable with the help of the community. Practically speaking, any changes to the KI is not possible at the moment, but, as Rand likes to say lately "Anything is possible in the future" :P We just have to send our suggestions and I'm sure the improvements will be there with time.

Post subject: Tooltips
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:12 pm 

If it haden't been for a long time playing with it in CC I would have been lost in UU. I second the KI tooltip idea, and have submited it as a feature request.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:59 pm 

I remember the first time I got my KI in Sngle Player and thinking "hey I got a hand-watch!" I know how to use the KI and actually learned how to use it very quickly in PoTS and To D'ni but I was still stumped when it came to the various functions until I found instructions. I say that toggle-able tooltips would be perfect for the new people and am going to post a ticket for it too.

If you see me in the cavern please feel free to say hello.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:04 pm 

Jishin wrote:
Amen for tooltips. That would make it easy. In fact, I think I'll submit a feature request for that.
If you don't, I will, I'm not sure the Cyan team is reading the forums as of late...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next