It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 11:20 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Eric Anderson tweeted about it yesterday :cry:

My reading is that the trailer is a bid to get some funding, at which point they would need to hire some new artists - or, if fund-raising takes a while, maybe Eric will be free again after whatever his so far undisclosed new non-Cyan role is.

My further speculation is that the PSVR delay has delayed the arrival of a further tranche of Obduction sales money. Maybe they could have kept going a bit longer otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:41 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

JWPlatt wrote:
Like a Kickstarter, but it looks like Cyan is taking a different approach this time.
By all accounts, Kickstarter only turned up about 1/3 of the money Cyan had really hoped for to fund Obduction (I guess they didn't want to post the real target because it may have looked too distant a target and instead hoped for over-subscription). So they won't want to have the same issue this time, and are presumably looking for a publisher that's prepared to underwrite the whole development cost up-front.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:07 pm 

[Finally been able to login to the forums without error ! Yeah.]

Back on topic, I've put together a smallish hack that alleviates the mouse problem, using AutoHotkey. This is not perfect, but I thought some of you might be interested.
Download link
Run uru_rclickfix.exe in the attached zip before launching Uru. I included the source code if you're interested (and don't mind rushed uncommented code ^^).
Like any Autohotkey program, it will sit in your system tray while it's active.

How it works:
When your cursor is near an edge of Uru's window, it will be warped back to center without moving the camera.
This script will be more efficient if you lower the mouse speed setting in Windows (increase the mouse turn sensitivity in Uru's options if turning is too slow - this won't affect the script).

Issues:
- alt-tabbing while holding a mouse button will cause bugs. Don't do it.
- moving the mouse too fast may prevent the script from warping the cursor (lowering Windows' mouse speed helps prevent it)
- Uru won't detect mouse movement during the frame it's warping the cursor, so turning won't be 100% smooth.
- clicking HUD elements near the edge of the screen (KI, Relto book) may wrongly relocate the cursor. Hold down left control while clicking HUD elements to avoid warping the cursor.
- some antiviruses might not like how Autohotkey works... The application should be safe, but if you prefer, you can simply install Autohotkey and use the AHK script instead of the executable.

Again this is not a perfect solution, nevertheless I hope it might help some of you 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:36 pm 

Thank you Sirius! I haven't tried it myself yet, but I hope it works.

Still, there might be a ray of hope for an official Win10 patch, as part of the 25th anniversary re-release of all Myst games later this year, fingers crossed!

P.S.: By the time these 2018 editions are released, the next big Win10 update should be out ("Spring Creators Update" version 1803, a.k.a. "Redstone 4") which is slated for release sometime in April, which in theory may change the mouse bahavior once again ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks Sirius.
I can't try it for now, but I'll try it asap.

Last edited by TCB The Scar on Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

I tried Sirius' workaround and, unfortunately, it did not improve things for me. I implemented all his suggestions. In fact, sometimes the mouse cursor would get "stuck" and become non-functional. Hope it works for others. In my case, increasing the mouse sensitivity in Uru is still the best solution. Increasing sensitivity allows me to minimize the physical movement of the mouse. It takes some practice :?

KI # 00009577

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

About my reaction:
I spent years with Uru/Myst, without being as much as I should, with the only "member of my family I talked to".
He "was/is/will be" a character in my website's storyline, but... He died on 2017 November 12th.
Uru + my website, becomed for me, the way to keep him in my life ; I need it. I need him...
:cry:
Yeah, it was "just a cat" for you ; for me, he was my son, my everything.
I don't ask you to understand, it's like that, that's all.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:52 pm 

Today I logged in and ran around my Relto by using the mouse, and found less issues than when the problem started. I could actually run around in a circle. I still had a few minor issues, but otherwise, it seems the mouse control is working better.

I haven't installed anything, changed my mouse settings, or in game settings. Unless Windows updated without knowing it, which wouldn't surprise me if it did, then that would be the only way I would have made any changes.

I do struggle with backing up still, but otherwise, I can run around pretty well. Seems I'll have a little bit of issues the longer I run, though. Let's just hope this isn't a one time thing. :lol:

I also tried another age, just to check it out. I went to my private city and ran out of the treemite and around it twice, non-stop. There is some pull in a different direction, at times, but overall, I feel that the mouse is working better.

One last thing I did was logged out and back in again. I ran around my Relto a bit and the same 2 laps around the treemite. Again, some issues, but I feel the problem has at least gotten a little better.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:03 pm 

CaptainQuery wrote:
I tried Sirius' workaround and, unfortunately, it did not improve things for me. I implemented all his suggestions. In fact, sometimes the mouse cursor would get "stuck" and become non-functional.

Strange, as it appeared to be (mostly) functional for me. But then I didn't test it extensively, since I only have one Win10 PC (has Creators' useless update, but doesn't have all the latest updates) and it's the one I'm using at work. I'll have another look next time I'm on it. Usually I play games on my home PC which runs Windows 8 (I never upgraded to 10 since I basically hate all the new features and it broke some of my games).

I'm confident one of the devs will find a solution eventually, so hang in there ! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:21 am 
Obduction Backer

After a lot of googling by Deledrius, we have a cause for and a successful fix for this issue. It now moves onward to regression testing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:42 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Excellent!

(Now why did the voice in my head sound like Montgomery Burns as I typed that?)

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:24 am 
Obduction Backer

AdamJohnso wrote:
After a lot of googling by Deledrius, we have a cause for and a successful fix for this issue. It now moves onward to regression testing.

This has to be the perfect day to read this, I was really started to get irritated by the issue again after a long break I took from Uru except some small test offline every so often. Today I had been trying to play some user ages on CC, dang that gets disorienting.

Do you still think June the soonest you will be able to work on this more?

At any rate I really want to thank you guys for being so responsive (even Chogon)!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:18 am 
Obduction Backer

Deledrius and I both independently wrote fixes for the issue when we discovered the exact cause of the issue. We accepted my solution as it was slightly more robust, and I have deployed a private beta build of the Gehn Shard. We're looking into a small regression in the client (completely unrelated to the mouse issue) and will hopefully be able to update the Gehn Shard soon (before June).

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:59 pm 

A fix for this sounds pretty exciting. I'm certainly available to help if you need anyone with a technical background to help test things out. Best of luck!