It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: So...Minkata
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:15 pm 

Lehnah wrote:
I've just had my first trip to Minkata. After running around for a whole I stumbled upon one of the caves with the menhir-like boulder with the Bahro carvings. Touching the menhir caused one of the dots to light up and upon climbing back out of the cave I noticed it was now night time.

I'm assuming there are at least three more of these to find and activate, but I don't really want to spend hours just running around looking for them. :roll: So, how and I supposed to locate these? I assume that the notebook with all the numbers next to the Minkata linking book has something to do with it but I don't really understand how I'm supposed to use the information.

Any hints and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers. :D

The Minkata Journal contains all the information you need to solve this puzzle. It might help to know that Minkata was a training age for the Guild of Surveyors. Here is a link to a PDF version of the journal, if that's helpful for easy reference: http://pats-place.net/GOGWEB/GoGWeb/Min ... a_book.pdf

In Minkata it's helpful to turn on shadows, in case you have those turned off.

On the top of the cage near the Minkata linking spot is a compass rose, there are also compass roses in the Minkata journal. That's a clue to how to use the information in the journal :D

The flags you find, and the numbers on those flags is also helpful information in solving this puzzle.

From the fantastic walkthrough on the Guild of Greeter's website:

"Open Minkata’s journal or refer to the pages you have printed. Look at the first numbered page to see familiar objects: four compass roses and a flag with the number 125. Also note the numbers 625 and 3125 that are printed on the page. You’ve seen a flag bearing the number 625, so this must mean there is a third flag somewhere bearing the number 3125. A future task may be to locate that flag.

Examine the compass roses. They look very similar to the one at the top of the cage, except that each has a long, green arrow pointing in some direction and each has a number associated with it: 360, 556, 442 and 420. You would be correct to reason that the four compass roses on the journal page labeled 1 (one) indicate directions and distances you should travel to reach a destination.

Look at the other pages in the journal; note that in all it contains five separate courses that you must follow to find certain spots in the Age. Each course is laid out in several legs (like a golf course). You must go the correct distance at the correct compass heading to complete each course and reach a destination.

Finding all five destinations is the first part of solving the puzzle. Walking or running all of the legs accurately is difficult, but possible, after finding a practical way to calculate distance."

Here's a link (warning: this may contain more info than you want to see, and is definitely spoilery): http://www.guildofgreeters.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=39

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:11 pm 

cpt-jericho wrote:
Not really for first-timers, but there is a Minkata guide using landmarks here:
http://www.guildofsleepers.org/minkata- ... ayers.html

I sincerely thank you for that little guide Cpt. Jericho. I am a looonnnnggg time player of URU and when I've re-played the Ages Minkata has always been last. I do have very good maps from way back but having the Visuals you gave is so much better.

Just one nit-picky complaint - I wish you had that page as a downloadable PDF or at least offer some way to print it. :wink:

Really good info there -

Thanks - Kero

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:47 am 

Kero wrote:
cpt-jericho wrote:

I sincerely thank you for that little guide Cpt. Jericho. I am a looonnnnggg time player of URU and when I've re-played the Ages Minkata has always been last. I do have very good maps from way back but having the Visuals you gave is so much better.

Just one nit-picky complaint - I wish you had that page as a downloadable PDF or at least offer some way to print it. :wink:

Really good info there -

Thanks - Kero

Right click any image and in the menu choose "copy image" and paste it in a folder in your documents and from there print is with your printer. You also can re-size it and even enhance it to your linking with any good photo editor.

edit:
Depending upon which OS your are using (Me windows 7)
right click "File" in upper menu, left side" go down and click Print preview and you will see something similar to a PDF page. If you want you could print that page.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

Kero wrote:
cpt-jericho wrote:

Really good info there -

Thanks - Kero

If you want, you can find a PDF file of my Minkata Kivas maps, in the Minkata folder of my cloud (link in my signature).

*Cloud: You can double-clic on a file to open it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:21 am 

If you're familiar with basic vector math and have a scientific/graphing calculator handy, it's relatively trivial to get a direct heading/distance to each kiva. Honestly the distance doesn't matter too much: so long as your initial heading is accurate, you should run right into it. The first time I played the Age I running out the entire set of directions, but next time I plan on working smarter, not harder. :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

cpt-jericho wrote:

For completeness, let’s mention the original Visual Guide, too ;)

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Get tweets from the GoMe.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:58 am 
Obduction Backer

Finally completed the Age. The music was great but not sure all of that was really worth a stone circle... :shock:

Ki #00324282
The D'ni Art Archive
Exploration Journal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:23 pm 

I, too, hoped for more than a stone ring, or that the stone ring would lead to something else. Nothing came of it. Then Ireenquench invented the Minkata Chill Party and gave the Age its reason for being. Starlight, desert breezes, dancing... there's nothing else like it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

I've made a little thing with a "Photoshop like" software, visible in the "Relto pages/Fountain" sub-folder of the "Ideas" folder of my cloud.
Like I wrote in my signature, feel free to use any idea from this "Ideas" folder of my cloud for MO:UL.

Maybe will come a time when the Wedges will be used for something, or maybe not... Who knows!?

*Cloud: You can double-clic on a file to open it.