It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:04 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: NO CUSTOM AGES PLEASE.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:10 pm 

Chad here :)

I've read some posts about people wanting to make they're own ages. i think this has to be done in close discussion with Cyan before even thinking of adding them ages. Not like, make an age, setup the book urself and put it on the shelf. It would rather KILL the Myst spirit and the story. At least that was what i got from all the posts i read from "Custom Age Creation". that people wanted to make custom ages. Other people would go experimenting with it and making crap.

My point is let the Cyan Team make the Ages. Sure, -->art<-- sent in by members isn't bad at all. but members taking the whole age thing in own hands would lead to "Destruction".

Cheers :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks for explaining where the destruction will be coming from. :shock: :wink:

But seriously, I would not worry too much about it. This is still a long way ahead and when the time comes I am sure that Cyan will have "worked out the logistics" as stated in the FAQ. And of course you don't have to visit fan created ages if you don't want to.

Edited to correct a typo

Last edited by D'Lanor on Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:25 pm 

[quote="D'Lanor"]Thanks for explaning where the destruction will be coming from. [quote]

lol, I'm just scared of it all getting stuck again and closing. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:21 pm 

While Cyan should look at fan created ages before letting them be visited.(To stop people from making a "Link into a inf drop as a joke"). It is fan created and you do not have to do them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think we have a lot more talent in the community than some people want to admit. We most likely have those who think they are more talented than they are. I was under the impression that Cyan would not only approve a fan created age, but keep them on a seperate server as well so as not to cause disruption or destruction. Maybe we will have a second nexus or personal library to access these ages. I think it will be a great thing and can't wait to see what they come up with..."Find a Way"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:42 pm 

hi,

I meant Ja'de that i would be very disapointed if there would be a sortof "Age toolkit" ingame so u could make your personal age. Some people woudl take it serious wich is a good thing. but some people would not. I have read some posts about this "toolkit' for ages and i strongly Don't recomend it. just like Sharpshot said, people would make crap and joke ages it would all fall apart. If there would even be tools for custom ages they would have to be offline not ingame, and first be double checked if it fits the story, and approved by Cyan. But ofcourse tahts MY opinion. -----> like i said before if people would make those stuff ingame. It would endup like a second , SecondLife... Stuff EVERYWHERE! :shock:
I'm not saying people who made the nexus have to be cruisified or something .. they did a great job! I Am Saying that If there would be made ages by fans, they would have to be approved by Cyan First.

I'm saying the same stuf over and over again to make my point clear so i don't have to say it a 1000 of times in the next upcoming replies on this post.

Cheers , Chad :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:47 pm 

In-game, In-character age creation would be disastrous. I like being able to
create ages using a plugin. But not like "writing". I think it should be like private restoration. There were lots of ages in D'ni, after all.

But don't worry about an infinte drop. You panic link after about 10 seconds.
There was an age, however, that locked your relto and forced you to solve a puzzle. That was a fun one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:17 pm 

Is that kinda stuff even out? The "toolkit" I mean, cause I see Age Builders in the Link area of this website, and it makes me wonder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

There isn't a Cyan-released toolkit, no. There's a set of fan-developed tools that are compatible with the current version of Uru, but which have rather limited capabilities in a number of areas (such as animations and sounds), which is what Age Builders and company are using to build Ages at the moment.

On the subject of user-developed content in Live... I honestly don't think it will be as much of an issue as some here think. Developing Ages, even crap "joke" Ages, is a long, arduous process that requires knowledge of several disciplines (3d modeling, texturing, animation, sound, Python...), a lot of free time, and a pretty fair level of dedication to the task. Given the barrier to entry that this inevitably creates (barring Cyan releasing some incredibly simple "drag and drop" toolkit, which probably won't happen for years if ever), the number of Ages that would actually be generated each year would probably be small enough that a one or two man team could review them before adding them to the accessible content in Live.

Remember that Live can be run on multiple shards, and with that comes the potential for a "development" shard, which could be used to create and test user-developed Ages in a production environment without risking an exploitative Age slipping into the game or causing damage to the actual Live vault. I figure a system like this would allow for a DRC-like "approval" process, whereby Ages are periodically checked and given a certain level of clearance. Once an Age is finally approved, its source will be transferred to the Live server(s)... if the developer(s) wish to change anything in that Age, it will need to go back through the approval process again to ensure no funny business goes on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:58 pm 

Alahmnat is right. There wont be a major outpour of ages, and a screening process like he described would block any Joke ages.

Where could I find this Fan made Age Builder? I would like to see it for myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sharpshot, the forum is located here: http://forum.agebuilder.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

I trust Cyan to prevent any "Joke Ages" from appearing in game. They have worked long and hard to bring us live. I doubt that they will allow anything that will cause it to crash down on us. And I'd rather see a well coded Joke age than a poorly coded serious age. I don't think there is anything to worry about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

If I remember correctly:

All fan-created Ages will be "separate" from Cyan content. Whether that means on a different server, available through a special section of the game, or whatever, I don't think that's been decided on.

If Cyan thinks the Age is up to snuff, they may find a way to integrate it into the actual game and call it canon. This is the best case scenario, and uh I can't make any guarentees because I don't work for Cyan (maybe one day!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:16 am 
Obduction Backer

Tylinol wrote:
There was an age, however, that locked your relto and forced you to solve a puzzle. That was a fun one.

That would be my age Prad. It used to be available through Uru Age Manager but I requested it to be removed some time ago. My reasons for that were in fact not very different from the concerns that started this thread: Prad was ok as a test project but the quality was not good enough to be released. Still I am glad you had fun playing it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:17 am 

I need to find a way to import max files into Blender and make my own ages some day... Because, personally, I hate Blenders interface.
I really hope the Cyan toolkit wil support either Max, Maya or Lightwave, but until then I'll use my own game engine.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next