It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Use of Exploits
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:51 pm 
Cyan Employee

The superjump and other bugs of the game might be fun to do, but as soon as you use them as an exploit to get to an area of the game that is not opened or to get a piece of content that has not been rolled out you are exploiting the game.

Exploiting the game is against the Terms of Use and is an offense that you could be banned for.

If you find an exploit please report it to the support team and don’t tell it to anyone else.

Thanks for understanding … Feel free to ask questions.

Ryan

Last edited by greydragon on Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Given that some items of the game are randomly generated, how can we tell if a "new" Bahro stone or something like that is "a piece of content that has not been rolled out" or just one that has a low probability of appearing? This one's going to be tough!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:13 pm 

a quick fix for the rooftop would be to but an invisible box over the pile of crates. I haven't checked if this has been done in the hotfix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think in that case, Zardoz, a quick check of the forum would help, because I'd think that new bahro stones would be announced somewhere.

This is a good reminder for jumping over barriers and such. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:20 pm 

BlueLightNight wrote:
a quick fix...

Erm.. you are aware that you just did exactly what greydragon has asked us not to do, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:23 pm 

LinkinImp wrote:
BlueLightNight wrote:
a quick fix...

Erm.. you are aware that you just did exactly what greydragon has asked us not to do, right?

I think you misread BlueLightNight's post.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:25 pm 

I'm just a little curious, since this game is still technically in beta:
Sometimes by exploiting bugs, one is also able to find other flaws before the programmers have a chance to look at/work on that area. Might it be useful to test unopened areas as long as things are reported as normal, and the exploiters don't blab about things that they shouldn't have seen, therefore spoiling the storyline? I know that programmers get to see all aspects of the game, and I bet that sometimes they wish they could play the whole thing through as a new experience. I think exploiters are mainly harming themselves, and they might be able to point out possible problems ahead of time. If bugs are only worked out as they become available, then they could present inconveniences that affect a larger amount of people. If someone triggers something that brings down the entire game through an exploit, then perhaps someone might want to know about it. Still, I understand the policy, and it's good to know. Just a perspective. You guys know this already.

Thanks for the game & hard work.

Gathered Restorers Awaiting To Explore For URU Lives

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:26 pm 

chucker wrote:
LinkinImp wrote:
BlueLightNight wrote:
a quick fix...

How did I? He/she makes available information about an exploit.
(Has mental image of people reading that post and then rushing to the rooftop to try it out).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:35 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Doug Parker wrote:
Sometimes by exploiting bugs, one is also able to find other flaws before the programmers have a chance to look at/work on that area.

They test it well before we get to see it. Chances are if the area is blocked off, the developers are currently directing their efforts elsewhere and don't want the distraction. Or they want us to concentrate on specific areas. Or it has already been tested to their satisfaction and is waiting for storyline events.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:42 pm 

Did I say anything about how it works? And as far as I know nearly everyone knows about it. But again, I didn't give any instructions for an exploit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

LinkinImp wrote:
chucker wrote:
LinkinImp wrote:
BlueLightNight wrote:
a quick fix...

How did I? He/she makes available information about an exploit.
(Has mental image of people reading that post and then rushing to the rooftop to try it out).

People already know about this issue, they have already flocked to said area to try it out.

I believe he was saying that if the problem hasn't been solved (we won't know its solved unless someone tries it) then throwing up a collision barrier around the box in question might be a good way to solve the issue.

I'm as guilty as the next guy (unless the next guy is a gal or is innocent) I have done the jump and have acquired the dock page. I'm more than happy to have said items taken from me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:52 pm 

Just because you guys already knew about that exploit, it doesn't mean that everybody else does. There are newcomers arriving every day. And maybe you didn't give explicit instructions - I think you've given away enough information to put new exploiters on the right track. My point is that, even though you were suggesting a fix for an exploit, it's probably a good idea to send your proposal directly to the support team instead of broadcasting it on the forums.
In other words - don't discuss such exploits at all in the public arena.

Last edited by LinkinImp on Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:05 pm 

LinkinImp wrote:
Just because you guys already knew about that exploit, it doesn't mean that everybody else does. There are newcomers arriving every day. My point is that, even though you were suggesting a fix for an exploit, it's probably a good idea to send your proposal directly to the support team instead of broadcasting it on the forums.
In other words - don't discuss such exploits at all in the public arena.

So, exactly what exploit was I talking about. In fact I think greydragon is the only who has mentioned an specific bug or exploit. I'm just replying to him. To any extent, isn't this thread about questions anyway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:13 pm 

I totally agree with the rule. While the concept of finding bugs through the exploits is a good one, I feel that just too many people are taking advantage of it. Whenever I go to the city now, all I hear about is people trying to use the bug to get to new places. I just don't think this is in the spirit of the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:19 pm 

Oops! Running to delete the city links right away.

Sorry GD...thought that the DRC had given a kinda tacit okay for this. Obviously I was wrong.

Apologies!

Katva (looking for the 8) to hide with)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next