It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:58 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Do you want KiDar?
Yes 74%  74%  [ 65 ]
No 26%  26%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 88
 Post subject: KiDar
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:59 am 

I was running around Eder Kimo a few days ago with two other people, and it quickly became apparent that there was a problem. Most of our conversation consisted of "Where did you go?", "Where are you", "I can't see you".

Now, I made a suggestion a while ago in my Interface Overhaul thread (yes, I know I haven't been updating it) that would fix this problem. Here's an excerpt from the thread:

Quote:
6. Name Tags (AKA KiDar):
Current Interface:
You must hover your mouse over another avatar to show their name.

Redesigned Interface:
Give the ability to force name tags to always be shown, preferably through a button on the primary KI interface to make changing between options easy. To clarify, this means that KiDar is completely optional, you can turn it off via the aforementioned button on the KI.

Additionally, players will have the option to make themselves invisible to KiDar to preserve games like Sardines (hide and seek).

Practical Usage Example:
A button added to the KI interface that causes every avatars name to always be shown, floating over the corresponding avatar.

Your first click on the new button would show all names in the age, and that includes through walls:
(Click image for full size)

Your second click would narrow it down to only those nearest to your avitar, to reduce visual clutter in a crowded age:
(Click image for full size)

This would very much improve my experience with multi-user puzzles and with navigation in general.

being able to tell where others are by having name tags visible through walls would prevent the "where are you?" issue; and in larger ages (like D'ni and Er'cana) it would allow people to explore freely without losing touch with the rest of their party, able to rejoin them at any time by simply following their name tags.

As for an IC explanation, I figured it would work in the same way as full-Ki mode does, it projects the image directly into your retinas (as per Cyan's description).

Last edited by StarLion on Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:17 am 

You sir, are brilliant. I would love to see this in the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:19 am 

While a nice idea, I'm afraid it just seems a little too OOC to me. As an optional feature, perhaps, but I'm still not content with the idea IC.

KI #00072427[Kedry]
"Conjecture is not fact, and opinion is not fact, and no matter how many times you say it, it doesn't make it true." - Shaun Lyon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:25 am 

Kedri wrote:
While a nice idea, I'm afraid it just seems a little too OOC to me. As an optional feature, perhaps, but I'm still not content with the idea IC.

Well, it's activated by a button on the KI, so it is optional. As for an IC explanation, it works in the same way as full-Ki mode does, it projects the image directly into your retinas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:49 am 

I like this idea and encourage you to submit it as a feature request on the support site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:47 am 

Yes, It's a great idea. At the very least have a button to press to show the names above the heads like Guild Wars has.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:35 am 
Obduction Backer

In my opinion, if they decided to program this, it would take time away from far more pressing bug-fixes, and far more desirable new features.

Definitely not for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

While not 'a brilliant idea' as some have said, this is a good change. I say it's not brilliant because it has been done in countless MMOs already. It's a fairly obvious feature that they failed to implement, probably due to their lack of experience with MMOs.

As for this getting in the way of bugfixes... If you think the ONLY thing they are doing is bugfixes, or that adding another feature would stop bugfixes for a time, you are sadly mistaken. Having 10 programmers work on 1 bug does not solve the problem 10x faster. And stopping development to work only on fixes is a GREAT way to bore your programmers and customers both.

"Moderation in all things, and all things in moderation."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:02 pm 

lol, I think they meant it would be a great feature to add later on in the game. not now, silly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:33 pm 

If it's optional, then sure. It'll make finding people in a crowded Age a lot easier.

If not, then no. The DRC will never be able to explain the nametags floating around people, and it's also un-needed clutter if you aren't looking for someone in particular.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:12 pm 

Whilyam wrote:
If it's optional, then sure. It'll make finding people in a crowded Age a lot easier.
Yes, it's optional. From my first post:
Quote:
...Give the ability to force name tags to always be shown, preferably through a button on the primary KI interface to make changing between options easy...
I admit I could make it clearer...
*runs off to edit first post*

Edit: There we go, much clearer:
Quote:
Give the ability to force name tags to always be shown, preferably through a button on the primary KI interface to make changing between options easy. To clarify, this means that KiDar is completely optional, you can turn it off via the aforementioned button on the KI.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:42 pm 

Woohoo!!

I get starring role in a screenshot!! :D

Now I just need to get thew same hat in Live that I had on D'Mala

/me waits patiently, but its getting thin, just like my hairline :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:29 pm 

I like this idea. It could be quite useful. :)

Sosiqui in Cavern

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:29 pm 

Hmm I didn't even know this was changed. I remember in prologue that you could hover over an avatar and see the name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:53 pm 

LOL - it's a feature request, not an existing option. I think it is a really great idea, I vote for it as suggested by StarLion.

Edit: Actually this thread should belong under Suggestions...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next