It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:52 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Should meetings be broadcast?
Poll ended at Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:13 am
Over the classroom imagers 34%  34%  [ 21 ]
As "Transparent" holograms in the community rooms <slightly unrealistic I know> 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
Thru the pub imagers 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
As a KI window with a streaming feed <very unrealistic, maybe a in a mark 4 KI> 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Simple yes <you agree with the idea but don't care how it is implemented> 44%  44%  [ 27 ]
No it is a bad idea 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
undecided 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 61
 Post subject: News in Uru
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:13 am 

I've commented on this, as well as made several suggestions on it before, but events revolving around this most recent impromptu introduction seem to warrent it's revival.

As it stands the "meetings" in cavern are plagued with issues, and fairly well hosed attendance wise. Unless your fairly forum active, and have the time to troll the hinted at areas way ahead of time your going to be locked out by population caps. Even the Official people were forced away from their chosen hood during the final D'mala event because of the hoods population.

So I am going to toss the idea out yet again, can we please have streaming broadcasts of scheduled, and or impromptu meetings over the imagers (Chat Included). From a incavern perspective all it would take is someone setting up the old hood cam as the meeting starts, and so many people would probably stay where they are happy. Rather then the current norm of trying to link to the meeting with 60+ already there for publicized meetings. (And yes I understand some of the difficulty of this idea, this is why I suggest the finite classroom imagers rather then the fluctuating number of relto imagers; which currently are not a option anyway.)

I know I would find this acceptable for town hall meetings where the information is interesting, but only something that I had planned to listen to.

Thought's, comments, ideas on how to distribute news in cavern?

The floor is now open......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:35 am 
Former MystOnline Moderator

There is a similar post on this topic in General Discussion.

Just wanted to let you all know that I'm going to leave them both open since the other poll is more about IF we want to receive news, while this poll is about How we receive it. Some interesting posts in the other thread. I'll be looking forward to seeing the comments and suggestions here now. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:08 am 
Obduction Backer

I like the KI idea because for technical reasons.. its the easiest way to go.

Think about it, all that text is flying around the server anyway, a KI "broadcast feed" can maintain everything being said within earshot of the DRC member.

The problem with pub and classroom imager feeds is.. what are you going to show? Text? Then you have to be right up close to read it, which limits how many people can watch a viewer at a time. So what else, video? Then all you'll see is just people standing in a room staring at each other.

The KI broadcast idea works because that way you can be following along as it happens, no matter what age you're in or what you're doing. Also maybe in the KI options have a toggle-able option of having the complete log sent to you via KIMail after the event is over (this KIMail log could be deletable unlike other DRC communication)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:35 am 

I really like 3 of the ideas, the pub being my favorite just because the pub has always been my hang out since UU. The could be frame-by-fame news spots and maybe casts of larger new-casts. I also like the idea of Ki-casts, little blerbs, small news and synopsis of larger news bits. And finally I like the community room viewer, a holo screen would be cool, don't forget the projector in Watcher's Sanctuary, that one was pretty big; it could go on the ceiling and project down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:57 am 

I'm thinking of starting a newspaper called the "Daily Cavern" which would highlight important events in a quick and easily accessible way. But I need journalists as I don't have the time to report on everything myself. It would be great to have a special Neighborhood with a copy of the newspaper in it so people could link there to get caught up on the latest. It would be even better if the DRC could give the journalists special, news-media enhanced KIs to record special events that could later be played back on the Daily Cavern Neighborhood's imager.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:38 pm 

The pub imager would not be a good idea because the city has a cap. After the meeting yesterday and up until I went to bed last night the city was full and no one else could get in. So there would still be many people that would not be able to access the imager.

I voted for the neighborhood imagers, but I hope eventually we will get our Relto imager back and then we should get any news on that imager.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:02 pm 

They should just broadcast it over the lattice so that every imager can display it, but a hologram in the community rooms would also be cool since I can leisurely be in a Bevin and still feel the meeting through the tele-presence.

FTLNewsFeed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:12 pm 

Nissa the reason I tossed the pub imagers in is because of the hood instance of the city. Once the canyon barriers are down (Knock on Wood) that means we will have a very large area of the city (Pub included) open in the hood instance.

The text issue with the imagers is a interesting problem macnbc. I am rather suprised you didn't put this forth however, Have the imagers stream text to the chat display in about a ten foot circle. For the pub and the classroom as well this would be more then enough to fill the rooms they are in without flooding the surrounding rooms with chatter.

Going to round this out with one last though/suggestion for now, mashu check out this website

http://www.thecaverntoday.com

I will support any and all feature requests or suggestions for a organized in-cavern news system. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:49 pm 

I REALLY like the idea of using the Classroom, Hood, and Pub Imagers as news and meeting related features, whether chat is played during a meeting and maybe a still photograph of the meeting to enhance clarity, but that does sound great, oh and the idea of the imagers broadcasting onto the KI at a certain distance is a wonderful idea, too. Nice brainstorming guys!

I myself have nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:07 pm 

macnbc wrote:
I like the KI idea because for technical reasons.. its the easiest way to go.

Think about it, all that text is flying around the server anyway, a KI "broadcast feed" can maintain everything being said within earshot of the DRC member.

The problem with pub and classroom imager feeds is.. what are you going to show? Text? Then you have to be right up close to read it, which limits how many people can watch a viewer at a time. So what else, video? Then all you'll see is just people standing in a room staring at each other.

The KI broadcast idea works because that way you can be following along as it happens, no matter what age you're in or what you're doing. Also maybe in the KI options have a toggle-able option of having the complete log sent to you via KIMail after the event is over (this KIMail log could be deletable unlike other DRC communication)

This makes the most sense to me for this reason: the ability to upgrade the KI from an IC perspective. It always seems to take longer to have an update for the imagers, because they're global, whereas a KI-upgrade can vary from player to player.

There's a second KI-dispenser machine on the top level of Gahreesen, and that could easily be an update-point for all KI users. I expect that we'll see updates to the KIs as some point, and being able to read text or watch video directly on the KI as opposed to the imagers makes the most sense- there are only so many imagers in the 'hoods at any one time, and if all the hoods are jammed with people trying to watch the meeting, you're STILL going to have a hard time watching it.

There are a host of logistical problems with live video feed, especially if you want that feed to be of any level of decent quality, but that doesn't make it impossible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:35 pm 

I think that meetings should both be available on imagers: in private Reltos or in the Hoods (I'm thinking override the GoG/orientation sign for these purposes so we have a big screen TV) and available via the KI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

How about an imager in the community room?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Perhaps better yet, two imagers in the community rooms: one with video feed and one with text feed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:24 pm 

double posting shame shame, that's the reason for the Edit button :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like the thought of imagers in the community rooms, it's just a lot of effort to set them up and take them down for every meeting. They would just clutter up the place between meetings otherwise. :wink: If we can get the inter-age links for the lattice working a stream to the garrison conference room imagers could be a good substitute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:00 pm 

I'd say yes, over the classrooms. One big issue is, what about text chat and or voice chat. Does that get broadcast? How? How to make that realistic?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next