It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:19 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

Would you like to have tools to help make your own Ages/levels?
Yes please. 78%  78%  [ 62 ]
No, I don't want there to be any tools. 9%  9%  [ 7 ]
I don't care. 13%  13%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 79
 Post subject: Tools
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:12 am 

With the coming of paid subscriptions for Uru Live, I would like to know or an idea of the kinds of tools Rand spoke about in the Myst 5 video?
I have some ideas of Ages i'd like to make, and I have been making a few levels for Unreal Tournament.
Although Rand talked about it in relation to Until Uru, but since were now Live, what could be the time frame that we might see these tools become available.

What do you think?

And I know some of you don't want player made Ages in the game, but I do think it would guarantee that the game lives long and strong.

Lian-Li PC-V1000 plus II case, 600W powersupply, Striker Extreme motherboard, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 CPU, nVidia 8800GTS 512, 2x1GB Corsair memory @ 800Mhz, 5.1 audio, wireless mouse, 200GB main hard disk.
Grogyan KI# 00793984 -> www.guildofwriters.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:17 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Would I like free money? Please.

Actually, I'm more interested in seeing what others can do with it than what I can do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:35 am 

Yeah, as do I, plus it would be fun to make our own, and I have been eyeing AgeBuilders.
But that interface is kinda awkward, I would prefer something on the lines like UnrealEd, draw the geometry and lighting and then just place zones and hotspots for various things.

An idea for an Age that I have is based on Amateria, but vastly different, for example, the ball is both a transport and a non linear puzzle.

BUT, for my idea to work, would mean that the physics need to be fixed, for example the ball has buoyancy.

Lian-Li PC-V1000 plus II case, 600W powersupply, Striker Extreme motherboard, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 CPU, nVidia 8800GTS 512, 2x1GB Corsair memory @ 800Mhz, 5.1 audio, wireless mouse, 200GB main hard disk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:53 pm 

Well Eric L still hasn't green lighted releasing the chat log, yet. Oh I so want to find out what went on in the meeting. From what was posted they were doing a fact finding meeting to see what tools are already in use by the community.

Best suggestion that I have heard come out of that thread is to choose your favorite 3D Modeler program that supports multiple file formats, and have fun.

My personal opinion is that this means the community was right on the money, and what ever form the "tools" take they will support at least one major 3D modeling file format. Of course I am not really expecting to see so much as a beta version of the tool set from another six months to a year, on this atleast I am willing to be realistic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:44 am 

There was a meeting?

Where and when was it?

I had a go with the Alcugs tutorial and made a very simple Age, and I seem to be grasping the hang of Blender very slowly, but its free, so you get what you pay for, and I do hope that Cyan does choose Blender as one of the supported formats, so that everyone can have a go.

But I am still worried about the current physics, and it still causes headaches when interacting with kickables (to kick my self in the backside) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:59 am 

Just pulled this of the DRC site forums for ya. :D

The meeting is over and done with now but eventually we will get to see the chat log for it.

Robert The Rebuilder said
Quote:
There will be an upcoming meeting with Eric L to discuss this; see this post for details:

http://agebuilders.vofd.org/forum/index ... wtopic=428

Date: Saturday 6 January 2007

Time: 4 PM Cavern Time (11 PM GMT) - Time Converter Link

Place: Until Uru, D'mala shard, AgeBuilders neighbourhood

P.S. The DRC forums still down so two points if you can figure out how I copied the quote. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:38 am 

You copied the quote from the AgeBuilders forum.

Thanks MustardJeep, I read it very carefully.

I think that they are very serious about player made Ages in MOUL, and from the feedback on that forum, it seems most people like myself, want there to be an official stable plugin for Blender as well as a "test" age for us to tinker with to understand how we could build our own Ages.

Though I do suggest that a page for our Relto beek becomes available, giving us another bookshelf for player made ages, thus keeping them separate from Cyan Ages.
Another suggestion, fix the physics.

It would also be cool if Cyan would release an Age from time to time that they have made with Blender, and use Max for the rest of their on going content.

When I get to this weekend, I will try and get some texturing workin on the tutorial age that I am workin on.
So far its a square plane with a kickable ball, and we both go ice skating :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:02 pm 

Close but no cigar on the guess, I typed in "DRC Robert the Rebuilder Eric L" into google and pulled up the DRC forum page that was cached.

See told ya I pulled it off the DRC site, well sorta. :lol:

Most of the offical hints have been pointing to a plug-in of some kind so there are more options for all the different modeling programs out on the market. I personally love playing with Blender but oh man does it have a steep learning curve.

A while back I voiced the idea in the forums for having the in-game side of it tied to a Relto page, and hidden away in a odd spot or behind a difficult puzzle. My idea behind this was to have getting access to the page be a sort of primer for modeling.

So many puzzles could be made to let a person play with the physics engine, and it is the restoration after all so basic modeling could be introduced under the cover of manufacturing some spare parts for machinery to finish a puzzle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:09 am 

Your right on the mark.

And I see Maztec is also running a poll on virtually the same thing, I think that his requests would cause a few headaches, not to say that they aren't doable in Live, just not in the first year or two.

Custom Ages is the BIG one at the moment, followed by a custom Relto page, that sure can have the logisitics worked out for this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:17 am 
Obduction Backer

Grogyan wrote:
Your right on the mark.

And I see Maztec is also running a poll on virtually the same thing, I think that his requests would cause a few headaches, not to say that they aren't doable in Live, just not in the first year or two.

Custom Ages is the BIG one at the moment, followed by a custom Relto page, that sure can have the logisitics worked out for this year.

Custom Ages is the culmination of many of the tools I listed. They are actually harder than many of the things I listed to do and many of the things I listed are involved in bringing them to bear.

My post is significantly different from yours. I am not running a poll on virtually the same thing. I am asking what tools and features of those tools people want. There is no cause for headaches, because I am not, nor do I have any intention to, asking Cyan to make these tools nor to make these tools available.

-M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:31 am 

I stand corrected.

I too have sent in feature requests, and some are in hat same field of thinking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Grogyan wrote:
I stand corrected.

I too have sent in feature requests, and some are in hat same field of thinking.

My apologies for the tone of my response posts (just reread them this morning and was horrified).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:48 am 

What, with a total of 63 votes, would mean that there is little chance of having player made ages in MOUL, I was kinda expecting ~250.

We'll have to wait and see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:09 am 

I was under the impression that they're in the plans regardless.

Forum polls tend not to have much effect. ;)

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:30 am 

Grogyan wrote:
What, with a total of 63 votes, would mean that there is little chance of having player made ages in MOUL, I was kinda expecting ~250.

Quote:
(02/07 00:20:31) Greydragon: ( me personally not cyan ) What I want for Uru is fan created content and ages.. i want the community to be able to make things and really feel like that are making a difference.. But that is so hard to see what Uru will be in 5 years ..

Cyan has promised us the tools once MOUL is in place and they have resources to spare.

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]