It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:03 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Radio DRC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:01 am 

I was walking around Aegura today, when I noticed that someone was playing some music using the voice feature. The quality was, of course, low, but I thought it was a nice idea. What if we could submit music to a "Radio DRC" that could be continuously accessible from the KI? I know I'd listen. All music, of course, would have to be approved before appearing on the air, and copyright blah-blah-blah would be maintained. It could even be just Myst music, if that's what it took, but what do you folk think?

Marentan/Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:14 am 

Better then the eerie silence some ages have. I like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:24 pm 

But the thing is it's optional. Then some people who want it can have it and those who would rather enjoy silence get their wish too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:10 pm 

Hey, that's a cool idea! Are you thinking like a playlist or something or just Myst series music?

-Bonnie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yeah, as long as it's a KI feature that's optional. Or it only occurs, like, in a certain part of the Hood. I've heard of people not liking it when others use the Voicechat to force others to listen to their music.

Give us different channels, too, and those Up On The Roof! parties, etc., would have an in-game way of broadcasting their music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well, keep in mind that MOUL is published by Gametap, which is part of Time Warner.. if this were set up I don't think it would be too difficult for them to implement any music licensed by Time Warner companies..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:14 pm 

Right now the way to accomplish this is to use Teamspeak or Xfire. You install these small programs, and they allow you to listen to whoever is broadcasting. You do have to know which server is being used, but there are just a few of them.

So, you run Teamspeak in the background and select your server and channel. This is what we used for the Roof! party before Ashtar gave us Shoutcast. I still use Teamspeak for other events, and there is usually someone broadcasting music on the Great Tree TS server.

If there are specific requests for music, whether for an event or just for listening, you can contact one of the known D'niJs in the Cavern, such as Thend, Donahoo, Eirerogue or some more recent ones whose names I can't recall right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

And yet, that even has major drawbacks, Lord Chaos. It was a good solution to the problem, but you still need to know there's a party and find a way to contact the hosts so you know which server and which channel to listen to. Plus it detracts from the "immersiveness" by having to get out of the Uru window (which can be a pain when you run full screen) and go to the other windows.

If a KI radio could actually be implemented, those problems would be resolved. It'd be all in game, you can just look at your KI to see if there's music playing.

Though, i admit, this would probably be a blue sky idea.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]