It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:29 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Do you want custom content?
Yes, and I want to develop it! (and play with it) 59%  59%  [ 42 ]
Yes, but I will just play with it, not create it. 18%  18%  [ 13 ]
Yes, other reasons. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
No, Cyan should not allow anything like this. 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
No, I am not interested in this. 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
No, other reasons. 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Eh? Coconut. 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 71
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

This is a Suggestion Collection thread.

There are users out there working on custom ages, custom content, custom clothes, custom objects, and even customizing their reltos and neighborhoods. Many of these projects were started around Until Uru as a way to bring content to the game while Cyan was mostly out of the picture.

Things have changed, this is good. There are now ideas out there of user created content and new potential features for the game. This is exciting.

I would like to put together a single-thread list of the tools you want to create content, what type of content you want to create, and what features you would like to see for Uru Live. Specific age ideas can be placed in another thread (please). This is for the creation of that content and how you want to do it.

The following list of ideas, features, and tools are what I currently have on my pallet:

1. Export Plugin(s) for 3D Modeling programs;
  2. Development and testing tool for new content and ages;
  3. Ability to share custom and customized content with other users of Uru Live;
  4. Age creation;
  5. Objection creation;
  6. Clothing modifier;
  7. Relto customizer;
  8. Avatar customization;
  9. Surface-KI, so you can talk with your friends who are in the cavern or other ages;
  10. and more.

Please add to this list, describe your ideas, expand the thoughts already there.

If you want to participate in making this happen, speak up (I recommend PMs). If you want to work with these tools, let everyone know. If you have an interface idea - post a picture!

Let yourself loose and lets see where we go. :)

- Maz

PS: Please let me know if you feel the poll is biased.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:48 pm 

maztec wrote:
PS: Please let me know if you feel the poll is biased.

Just a bit. The second most votes are for the coconut.

KI #00072427[Kedry]
"Conjecture is not fact, and opinion is not fact, and no matter how many times you say it, it doesn't make it true." - Shaun Lyon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:27 am 

The concept of making my own ages was one of the things that originally drew me to Uru. But now I'm less certain. If we're able to import ages from standard 3D editors, there is likely to be a lot of very poorly made ages. Uru's trademark style of very beautiful worlds may quickly be replaced by blocky cubes and flat green plains. It might start to look like Second Life - interesting, but certainly very different from Uru.

Now, if there were some way of letting us create our own ages with some sort of guaranteed quality (maybe something like the terraforming tools in Sim City 4?), I would be all for it. That wouldn't be enough to make complex ages like Ahnonay, but it would be powerful enough to allow us to make more simple ages like Eder Delin and Eder Tsogahl.

In fact, that's not a bad idea - we would be able to make our own garden ages. It even makes a certain amount of sense in-cavern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:46 am 

Quote:
The following list of ideas, features, and tools are what I currently have on my pallet:

[...]
10. and more.

11. Configuration of audio and graphics setting before you start the game
12. KI image fixer
13. debug log zipper
14. chat archive and chat log viewer with highlighting
15. cavern and D'ni time applet
16. in game journal browser and viewer
17. ping server to debug network problems

I'm currently developing a program that can do tasks 11 to 17. The program works on Windows and Linux and is designed to work on Mac, too. I'm in contact with Chogon to get an official approval to release the program in the wild. I've uploaded some screen shots at http://gallery.cheimes.de/uru/pymoul/

About 9. Surface-KI, so you can talk with your friends who are in the cavern or other ages; :
Maztec and I discussed the possibilities today. In my opinion and I beleave also in his the best solution is XMPP (formally known as Jabber). XMPP/Jabber is an Open Source framework and implementation for instant messengers (ICQ, AIM, MSN, Yahoo). Jabber has some great features especially so called Transports. In order to implement a surface KI we 'only' have to write a Transport plugin for the jabber server that interacts with the Vault database at Cyan. Once the transport is in place every user with a Jabber client can log in and sent/receive KI message through the web or with one of the hundreds jabber clients freely available.

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 am 

Hey Maztec, although I go along with your suggestions, I think at this stage of the game would cause a lot of logistic headaches to sort them all out.

I started another topic that mainly focuses on Age building and perhaps a custom Relto page, the reason being that I don't want to ask for too much at the moment, the logistics for Age building as you know, is a possible viable idea, with Blender 3D as the most likely to have stable plugins at first for ANYONE to have a go to make ages.

In having an official Blender 3D plugin from Cyan helps a bit by setting guide lines for us that are almost manageable without causing game exploits ie CHEATS.

Although I do suggest you put a feature request for each and everyone of those ideas, who knows, I could be wrong and we have all the feature requests that we have put in, to be actual working game functions before the end of 2007.

Lian-Li PC-V1000 plus II case, 600W powersupply, Striker Extreme motherboard, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 CPU, nVidia 8800GTS 512, 2x1GB Corsair memory @ 800Mhz, 5.1 audio, wireless mouse, 200GB main hard disk.
Grogyan KI# 00793984 -> www.guildofwriters.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:14 am 
Obduction Backer

Grogyan - I am not suggesting making feature requests for these ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:47 am 

Still, I think it would be at the very least curtious to ask them first, thus a grey line appears for community development of feature tools.

I'm sorry that I grasped the wrong end of the stick, i'm actually in full support for any tools that Cyan has given the green light for us to develop from the community.

And I have quite a few ideas for various tools, but I ain't gonna say anything about those till we have heard from Cyan.

Lian-Li PC-V1000 plus II case, 600W powersupply, Striker Extreme motherboard, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 CPU, nVidia 8800GTS 512, 2x1GB Corsair memory @ 800Mhz, 5.1 audio, wireless mouse, 200GB main hard disk.
Grogyan KI# 00793984 -> www.guildofwriters.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Grogyan, are you a developer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:21 pm 

maztec wrote:
I don't get it... His location is "New Zealand" so he's probably not a developer, so you were probably tongue-in-cheek, but I can't tell why.

If anything, it would seem more reasonable for him to ask you whether you are a developer, maztec. You started a poll to gather information from us with explicit intentions not to submit this to Cyan via feature requests.

I'm flummoxed. :?:

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:57 pm 

Tayr said
Quote:
The concept of making my own ages was one of the things that originally drew me to Uru. But now I'm less certain. If we're able to import ages from standard 3D editors, there is likely to be a lot of very poorly made ages.

Vast amounts of poorly made ages choking the system have been a concern from the beginning. Personally I prefer to look at it as a built in weedout system. Say Cyan is feeling generous and hosts ten fan ages each month, with the age creator getting feed back from the community, and more importantly Cyan on things that need to be worked on.

At the end of that trial period for the age they then have to fix the problems that were brought up before they can resubmit their age to the in-game hosting waiting list.

This is just an idea mind you but it would generate steady improvment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Owehn wrote:
maztec wrote:
I don't get it... His location is "New Zealand" so he's probably not a developer, so you were probably tongue-in-cheek, but I can't tell why.

If anything, it would seem more reasonable for him to ask you whether you are a developer, maztec. You started a poll to gather information from us with explicit intentions not to submit this to Cyan via feature requests.

I'm flummoxed. :?:

Neither? I asked if he is a developer. My apologies for using shorthand. I should have said, "Are you a software developer" or rather a "programmer, coder, code-monkey, jimmerjammer" etc.. :) I was not asking if he was a Cyan Developer - I realize he is not.

It was in response to his "I have quite a few ideas for various tools".

And you are correct, I am not going to spend time listing these as feature requests. I had asked at the beginning of this thread for people to let their hair loose and add to the list, expand on the thoughts. Not devolve into an argument about whether they should be created or not. Cyan knows where this thread is, they can read or participate in it if they so desire.

---------------------

MustdardJeep: What if certain ages were DRC approved and the rest were on an individual share basis (private ages). So, you don't have to encounter the cruft, unless you want to. You think someone has no clue on how to make ages, you don't visit their custom ages that they have invited you to. Then again, you are welcome to give them feedback, so they can improve on it, and by the time the DRC hears of it and asks them to submit information it may be suitable for DRC approval and inclusion in a custom user-space for such ages that does not conflict with Cyan's existing ages. Would this be acceptable? I do not think anybody wants to see SecondLife in Uru.

Just my thoughts on how such things could work..

-M

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:24 pm 

I found a website that seems to already be doing some interesting development along these lines: Ages of Ilathid: http://agesofilathid.com/en/index.htm

Seems you need Python 2.4 installed and http://www.python.org/ as well as Pygame http://www.pygame.org/news.html. I downloaded the demo and have been playing around... nice little demo.

Pygame gets you started if you have other toolsets, video editor capture, etc... 3D graphic programs... who knows where this could lead, but sure would be fun...

I might even move from Java to Python... and have fun all the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

Last I checked Ages of Ilathid was not using Cyan's Uru engine. I am aware of the project.

Again, I am not talking about the things that can be created, but the tools to create and export these things.

I thought I had been fairly clear on that.

*sigh*

Post subject: Sorry, my mistake..
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:36 pm 

My apology... :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:39 pm 

earthwizard wrote:
I might even move from Java to Python... and have fun all the way.

I have tried lots of programming languages starting with Turbo Pascal in school, C, C++, Perl, Java and Python. Python isn't running as fast as C and it has a larger memory overhead but it is definitely the fastest and easiest language to write. Also Python sucks less memory and cpu than Java. If you still need java ... well there is Jython and IronPython for C# users.

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next