It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:59 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:01 am 

edit 23/3/07: Mac_Fife's written up an FAQ on this issue now (http://www.mcintoshuk.plus.com/urulive/faq.html) - might be worth trying to get folk experiencing the bug for the first time to give it a quick read, rather than trying to trawl through the whole discussion thread...

Just starting up this thread again ('cause I think the old one got deleted in the move from beta to Live).
Yeah, so who's finding everytime they boot up the game you can login and it reaches "Approximately 0 seconds remaining" on the Updating screen (the one with the dots circling around a book) and just stays there.

The Uru Live Support Team tells me:
"This issue that you are experiencing is a known issue for some players. I have added your information to the existing bug report in our internal database. It seems to be related to connection quality and we are currently working on this to see if any improvements can be made from our side. We hope to have an update on this in the near future.

Please keep an eye on our FAQ forum, as that is where we will announce any updates to this issue as they become available."

..and this:
"The FAQ that we are referring to is the one found at support.urulive.com. Currently, there is not any updated information available yet. Once there is information about a resolution or an improvement made for this issue, it will be posted in a FAQ article at this (official) site.

As much as I'd like to tell you this problem will have a solution by the 15th of February... I recommend you hold off obtaining a paid subscription until we know for sure this situation can even be resolved.

I really hope this can be resolved...I have the same problem you are experiencing with my home connection."

So.. we live in hope. :wink:[/url]

Underground, overground, wombling free!

Last edited by thork on Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:37 am 

I was stuck on 0 seconds for a looong time, but I left it alone and a while later Gahreesen appeared :) My guess (and this is a completly unfounded guess) is that maybe the time displayed for downloading is in error, so you think you are at 0 secs, but in actual fact you have (maybe) only downloaded half (will observe the time the next time I download)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:27 am 

The '0 seconds remaining' problem occurs when you are able to log-in past the GameTap and Cyan logos and then get stuck at the first black 'UPDATING' screen (the one with the dots rotating around a book logo). If you don't get past this screen in the first couple of minutes the software decides to halt the download and try again in a few minutes - if this happens, the progress bar will eventually get to '0 seconds remaining' but (unless you are extremely lucky) will never get past that point.

(NB: If you get '0 seconds remaining' at any other time (i.e. when linking between ages) just hang in there, it will get there eventually.)

This problem is particularly frustrating because a) the back-off that occurs after a couple of minutes is meant to help you get in, but instead it stops you getting in at all, and b) URU Live plays fine if you can just get past this first black Updating screen.

The problem seems to be more common for those in outlying areas or further from the US - it will also happen if you have a poor quality internet connection (e.g. bad cabling in your house or from your house to your local exchange/ISP).

Recommended course of action:
  1. Determine whether you have a reasonable local connection: run speedtest and check the speed to your closest server (typically the closest server will show up by default - just click on the yellow pyramid to run the test). Your download speed should be greater than 380(?)Kb/s and your upload speed should be greater than 100(?)Kb/s (NB: the official URU requirements just state 'broadband' and don;t give any minimum speeds - if someone knows what's really require please let me know).

If it isn't fast enough you need to either a) upgrade your broadband connection to be able to play URU Live, or b) if you are paying for a broadband connect that should be faster than that, then you need to contact your ISP and get them to troubleshoot your line to find out what the problem is (Just a warning: this could cost you if the problem turns out to be the wiring in your home).
  2. If you have a fast enough local connection, but get stuck at '0 seconds remaining', then log a bug report (raise a ticket) with URU Live Support - They need to know how many people this is affecting so they will do something about it.
  3. Determine your connection speed to Atlanta, Georgia, USA (where Gametap houses its servers): run speedtest and check the speed to the Atlanta server (It's over towards the east of the North America map).

This time, if the long-distance speed isn't fast enough, you are going to have to log one at times when the performance is better (typically early morning, but the time may vary from location to location) - try checking the speed to Atlanta at different times of the day until you find the best time to log-in.

Finally, make sure you file a bug report with URU Live Support.
This problem is caused by a flaw in the software that controls that first black 'Updating" screen - Recent improvements have sped up this download, which has made it better for some people, but have not fixed the software that causes the problem in the first place.

Zen KI# 55764

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:26 am 

ah, see what you mean Zenguy, hope this problem gets fixed soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:37 pm 

Yeah, if you get the '0 seconds remaining' problem when linking between ages it normally means the servers are getting overloaded and you just have to be patient.

Zen KI# 55764

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:12 am 
I'm still getting this. Hopefully will be able to address any problems on my end soon...

EDIT: Just ran Speedtest to Georgia and this is what I got:

Better than when I was trying it to Seattle, but still not good enough. Sigh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:41 am 

Ok Zander, you've got connection problems - your download speed is way too low (especially compared to your upload speed)

Log a call with your broadband supplier and get them to help track down the problem.

Zen KI# 55764

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:42 am 
Obduction Backer

I still suffer this bug, but now I know it I can usually get past it. When you get to the updating screen, if the bar displays a value greater than 3 minutes initially, with no rapid decrease, it will stop near the end and sit there with the 0 secs thing, due to the reset download. What I do when I see a bar greater than 3 minutes is I immediately alt-F4. Then I launch the client again and keep trying until I get an initial value of under 3 minutes - if it's under 3 mins, it'll usually get in no probs ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:37 am 

Please make sure you log a bug report for this one Myst Explorer.

The back-off that's built into the software is meant to do essentially what you are doing manually, unfortunately, the way it has been programed is a disaster.

Zen KI# 55764

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:56 pm 

Thanks for re-directing me Zenguy.

For my recommended server the results were:

I even got a good result for Atlanta.
I guess I'll have to report this as a bug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:22 am 
Obduction Backer

At my girlfriends house I get the 0 second bug but when I'm at home I don't... what sort of things should I look at to determin the difference in the connection?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:31 am 

Follow the 'Recommended Course of Action' in the third post from the start of this thread.

Zen KI# 55764

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:17 am 

I did try upgrading my internet connection from high speed cable-modem to cable-modem extreme (M) and it made no difference.

The speed test result from Montréal Canada to France was 3884 Kbits/sec

and to USA 1067.72 KBs/s.

I was finally able was to get into the game at 20:50. last night, Feb, 17

So it seems we are experiencing slow connections when crossing to the US side to Gametap.

Another Test made a few minutes ago from Montréal,cd to Atlanta USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:57 am 

Those figures indicate your speed to the US can vary by almost ten fold, possibly more so!
9476Kbps is awesome
1067Kbps is getting towards the lower end, but still should be satisfactory.

The only things I know that will cause that scale of variance are:
  1. A dodgy connection in your line (sometimes good, sometimes bad)
    You should be able to check this by getting your broadband provider to monitor your local connection rate and quality for 24 hrs.
  2. An overloaded line (fine at off-peak times, at full capacity during peaks)
    The most typical situation is when the local line is connected to too many homes, especially those high traffic demands (e.g. some internet games - not URU fortunately). When they are all busy at the same time the line gets overloaded and the bandwidth available to each home drops significantly.
    The check is the same (get your broadband provider to monitor your local connection rate and quality for 24 hrs) but this problem can be harder to resolve as the only real solution is for the broadband provider to reconfigure part of their network - not something they do in a hurry.

There is one other typical cause, a temporary outage on the network (a fault, hacking or a major spam attack, etc.) is causing rerouted traffic to overload the alternative routes. If this is the case, it will just go away when the outage is resolved and you'll be none the wiser.

Overall, if the problem continues I suggest you collect a few more bad speedtest results and get onto your broadband provider.

Zen KI# 55764

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:58 am 

There's no way I'm getting in. The exact same thing happened to me during beta. I really hoped that they would get this fixed or have the connection speed requirements lowered. I'm a lowly sophmore still in high school and to be able to subscribe to the game my parents have to see it. But because of our 256k DSL there's no way I can join the Uru Experience. D:

I loved the Myst Masterpiece and Complete Chronicles but it seems I won't be able to join in on the online experience.

Kinda ironic dontcha think? Cyan often makes their products as wide range as possible for as many systems, but this is probably the connection speed cuts it down for lots of people. Guess I'll continue waiting until my trial expires in hopes of getting the requirements down or having it fixed.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next