It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:33 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

I just submitted this ticket as a Feature Request:
Quote:
Request: set up a thread on the forum to which Cyan staff would post links to any notifications for requested tests on Rehearsal. We could then subscribe to that thread, and would be notified by e-mail when something "hot" was posted. This would not be a duplicate of the announcement as currently posted in its own thread, just a link to it.

Background: RL frequently does not leave time for me (and others) to read the forums every day. Because of this, I have missed several rquests for participation in the tests that you all have posted, msot recently the one on Thursday April 12. If I had gotten e-mail notification, I could have been there. As it is I found out two days too late :-(

Since I, like many others, get notified of incoming e-mail within minutes, having a notification of this sort would allow me to more fully participate in the Rehearsal testing effort.

Walt

Do others have the same problem? I would love to participate in more of these special tests, and would do so if I could get notified in a more timely manner. By subscribing to a notification thread, I could hear and respond.

All the thread would need to have is one-liners like:

Group Test Today http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8896

Maybe if enough of us agree that this is a good idea, Cyan will adopt it.

Walt

walt: KI #00193642
walt scRIVENs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

...same for me. Forum notification gets me within days, email notification gets me whithin minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:47 pm 

Hi Walt, i am gong to post the response that GregBert gave to a question I posed for the last reountable which explains why they are not able to do a notice in advance, which helped me understand about this to try to help spread the word, at a time when they must be very busy with adjusting things at Cyan....

Quote:
Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:07 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CrisGer wrote:
When you do a stress or group test is it possible for you to send out a broadcast e mail to testers who subscribe to a list? I take testing very serously and am sorry I missed both of the latest group tests, i was at work but could have adjusted or had an assistant cover for me....

gregbert says....
I posted something directly related to this a while back, but it bears repeating, as it's as relevant now as it was then (and it's way back there where no one ever reads anymore).

Allow myself to quote...myself...

gregbert wrote:
Hi folks,

While it would be nice if the production schedule allowed the time to notify each and every individual of upcoming tests, it just doesn't work that way. The opportunity to conduct this test came up almost at a moment's notice. We have to have the right people in place on our end, and to do that we must act while we have that window of opportunity. We certainly aren't trying to exclude all but those who are actively scouring the forums for the latest news, though I'm sure it must feel that way at times. In order for us to notify everyone of an upcoming test, we either need to a: know of our window of opportunity a few days ahead of time, or b: notify everyone and then wait a few days for everyone to get the message and then conduct the test. Option 'a' would require a working crystal ball, and option 'b' results in our schedule getting delayed by a few days. So what usually ends up happening is that we give notice on the forums as soon as we know that we can get everything in place, then we spend the time getting everything in place, and then we begin the test. If we ever have a time when we get fewer participants than we need, we will try option 'b'.

We do understand that the number of participants we get for any particular test for which very short notice was given is a result of the short notice, not the lack of desire on your part to participate.

GB

So there are numerous reasons why it is just not feasible to notify everyone. I might further add that the test to which the above refers whas a group test in the City, which as you know is capped at 40 or 50 or something (I forget now). Now imagine - were it even possible to notify everyone ahead of time - 500 rehearsal testers flooding in to participate in the group test in the city and only 10 percent of you actually getting in. Needless frustration would ensue. Just another bit o' gristle to chew on...

GB

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Cris, walt's solution doesn't involve notifying everyone individually.

It's a topic in the FTD section which we'd add to a "watch list". If the thread gets updated (with the next group test), we'd get an email about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

I understand gregbert's point perfectly.

What I am suggesting is that they start a thread in the "From the Developer" section, called "Important Notices" or something like that. All the Cyanists would have to do is post a one-line link in the "Important Notices" thread, pointing to the actual announcement, as in my example above:

Quote:

That would only take a few seconds to do, and would notify all the testers who had checked the "Notify me..." box for the "Important Notices" thread.

walt: KI #00193642
walt scRIVENs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:33 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

I've suggested the same thing twice so far. I'm sure they're aware.

However, whether we like it as a group or not, the one thing many of us seem unwilling to accept is that Cyan might want limited numbers of people. If everyone descends upon the test event, it could make such testing more difficult because of lag or communication issues. Short and limited notice is one way to control that. We're here for Cyan, so while our suggestions stand, we should be willing to accept their methods if that's the deliberate choice they are making.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

I do like the idea, but I can't help feeling that if Cyan were having trouble drumming up enough numbers for these tests, they would take the initiative themselves.

As it is, I'm guessing that they have pleanty when they make these specific tests, thus there's no need for them to do this.

"Never put Dolby on snake detectors"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

There is a self-limiting thing going on here we haven't put into the mix.

Since I'm in the same time zone as Cyan, and they tend to run these goodies during business hours, I'm not able to participate because of work. Same for many other testers.

Then there are those who just happen to be asleep during these testing times.

Etc., etc.

Being able to subscribe to a "watch this topic" would help those who are available during the time Cyan is in need of "bodies" for a fast run around the cavern.

I do love getting in on these, and get the chance if I have a day off work, or ::cough:: am home sick ::cough, cough:: so I'd subscribe to the thread watch myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Let me add that the latest tests times were hardly convenient for Europeans as well: midnight UK / 1 am central Europe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Warning: this post contains mild humor and is not intended to be sarcastic in any way.

The spontanious test times occur during the workday of Pacific Time. People who will most likely be able to make the ones in the "afternoon" would be Eastern workers. Except myself. I work from noon to 8pm Eastern which is 9 to 5 Pacific.
This is only logical. Naturally when they want a short-notice mass test, it will be when they are at work to see what the servers say. As it is short-notice, they could not very well send out a call two weeks in advance so one or more of us could schedule a day off of work. :)
Now if it was the same time all around the world, and everyone worked the exact same 8 hours at the exact same time, then we could have lots of fun indeed.
Just the nature of the beast.
best you can do is subscribe to the developer's forum so you get an e-mail every time they post there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:47 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

You can't subscribe to a forum. Only to threads. That's the point of a headline thread to which you can subscribe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
You can't subscribe to a forum. Only to threads. That's the point of a headline thread to which you can subscribe.

And thus, phpBB showcases another of its many shortcomings :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think a thread headed like this one could work. I like the idea.
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Very good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:15 am 

I'll run it by LBell on Monday. I really don't see the problem with creating a thread there that we can simply "ping" with a link to the post with the details of upcoming tests. It could even be just like that big machine that just goes "PING!", except we'll know what this one does. I can certainly make a case for the fact that although we have yet to encounter a short-notice test with sub par attendance, it would be good to have a means to alert the Rehearsal community about the issues we're focusing on for that particular test. Hmm. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. We'll see what happens...

8)

GB

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next