It is currently Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:24 pm

All times are UTC




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:27 pm
Posts: 350
I don't mean to offend anyone but;
I'm an old gassy excretion, I'm retired, I have enough trouble even remebering what day it is in my world; I don't care what time it is in yours.

I do care what time it is down in the cavern. I go down, look at my KI, look at the clock up here and yeah, my world is +/- x hours from KI time. That's all I need to know and the only Time I post in these forums is KI time. Could everybody please do the same?

All this UDT, MDT, UTC, PST etc. gets confusing and probably not just for me. I'm sure there are a couple other old farts around here. :lol:

When we go down to the cavern, KI time is all that counts and everybody can figure for themselves the difference in time to their world.

For all the nice map and whatnot, and although it was good for figuring out the timing of portal appearances, KI time doesn't jump when you jump from time zone to time zone/from pod to pod.

So please everybody, do an old man a favor. When relating the time of events, use KI time and only KI time. I still may not know what day it is but at least I'll be there on time. :lol:

_________________
fchall - In or Out of the Cavern
KI# 00154378
AKA: King of Spheres, The Master of Rotations, A Pellet Popping Fool


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:52 pm
Posts: 785
Location: In the dark, behind you. With the glowsticks in my nose.
KI time is what I use almost exclusively. You're right. Its just easier for people to look at their KI in game and do the conversion on their own.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 4:24 pm
Posts: 3120
Location: Aachen, Germany
I'm against the usage of KI time to coordinate events. KI time changes because it takes DST into account. USA has a different start and end time for DST than Europe and other countries. Personally I'm for UTC because it has no DST and it's *the* time reference for international events and expeditions.

_________________
Image
[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:52 pm
Posts: 785
Location: In the dark, behind you. With the glowsticks in my nose.
Tiran wrote:
I'm against the usage of KI time to coordinate events. KI time changes because it takes DST into account. USA has a different start and end time for DST than Europe and other countries. Personally I'm for UTC because it has no DST and it's *the* time reference for international events and expeditions.


So why make people do the work? I don't mean to be rude, but the predominant community is North American. Converting to UTC from KI time and then having to convert back because...as you say UTC doesn't do DST, is much more complicated than it needs to be when simply adding 2 hours for Eastern time, 1 hours for Central and subtracting an hour for Pacific does the trick for (guesstimate) 90% of the people.

Not to say that you don't have a valid argument, its just you're going to find a lot of resistance from the community. Not to mention the concept of UTC is very foreign to the layperson. Especially considering this is just a game.


Last edited by Overdrive on Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:22 pm 
Having recently embarrassed myself to a degree by getting the time conversion wrong. I think I'm probably in favour of this idea... :)


Top
  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:27 pm
Posts: 350
Tiran wrote:
I'm against the usage of KI time to coordinate events. KI time changes because it takes DST into account. USA has a different start and end time for DST than Europe and other countries. Personally I'm for UTC because it has no DST and it's *the* time reference for international events and expeditions.

Good points all.
In the US, the railroad goes by their time, which doesn't recognize DST but nobody except railroad workers cares or follows it.

Cavern explorers, IMHO, should use cavern/KI Time. We all need a common frame of reference unserstood by all in the cavern. What ever that other world is doing we really don't/shouldn't care.

Look at it as KI Time being the UTC for the world of URU.

_________________
fchall - In or Out of the Cavern
KI# 00154378
AKA: King of Spheres, The Master of Rotations, A Pellet Popping Fool


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 9:33 pm
Posts: 47
Location: Denmark
fchall wrote:
Tiran wrote:
I'm against the usage of KI time to coordinate events. KI time changes because it takes DST into account. USA has a different start and end time for DST than Europe and other countries. Personally I'm for UTC because it has no DST and it's *the* time reference for international events and expeditions.

Good points all.
In the US, the railroad goes by their time, which doesn't recognize DST but nobody except railroad workers cares or follows it.

Cavern explorers, IMHO, should use cavern/KI Time. We all need a common frame of reference unserstood by all in the cavern. What ever that other world is doing we really don't/shouldn't care.

Look at it as KI Time being the UTC for the world of URU.


I second that, fchall. KI-time is universal and there is no need to confuse people with all this real life stuff. It puts things in the right place right on time - KI-time :lol:

Greetings

_________________
Jules Verne
(IMystUru on MOUL)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 1:04 am
Posts: 4134
I agree, just use KI time. KI time = MST/MDT.

_________________
-Whilyam
Cavern Link:My IC Blog


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:11 pm
Posts: 403
Sounds good to me. I have Foxclocks set up to show me the current KI time in my browser, which makes working in KI time simple.

_________________
-Tayrtahn
201092


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:23 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 6:30 pm
Posts: 2232
Location: Italy
Jules Verne wrote:
KI-time is universal and there is no need to confuse people with all this real life stuff.


By introducing DST in the KI Time they brought on themselves the real life confusion. What use are daylight savings in a Cavern anyway? Or in another universe altogether?

_________________
Atrus aka Nahvah aka Ian Pertwee aka too many darn names :D
KI# 52953


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:52 pm
Posts: 785
Location: In the dark, behind you. With the glowsticks in my nose.
But its the only real life confusion. Not to mention ... the Ki tells you what time its in cavern. I'm sure if its THAT important you can figure it out for yourself. But its imposing significant inconvenience for the majority of people, should they have to post things in UTC... or anything other than KI time for that matter.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:13 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:25 pm
Posts: 181
Location: Neveriven's bevin and "Neveriven" in Second Life.
When you are reading a book and in the story the characters move around a lot from country to country, do you worry about time zones? I don't think so. So why worry about it in MOUL? It's just a GAME. And it has it's very own time zone...KI Time. That gives the game an excellent reference point that everyone can understand.
Use KI time all the time! You know it makes sense! :D

_________________
KI : 00084880
(Also mooching around Second Life as "Dichromus Miles" - landowner and DJ extraordinaire -he he).
(These messages brought to you by "Typo Kings" Inc.)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:27 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:29 pm
Posts: 1284
Location: UK
fchall wrote:
All this UDT, MDT, UTC, PST etc. gets confusing and probably not just for me. I'm sure there are a couple other old farts around here. :lol:

Oh I don't know, I like to think that I'm not an old gassy excretion at 19, but it gets fairly confusing for me too!

Of course, in an ideal world, I'd love everyone to use GMT or BST, depending on what's on in the UK, but KI time'll do for me :lol:

Actually, I have a little cheapy clock by my computer set to KI time, just to make things easier to work out :P

_________________
The one and only. The original. Accept no imitations ;)
In other words, my posts, views and opinions are completely unrelated to those of 'islander1'.

"Never put Dolby on snake detectors"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 4:24 pm
Posts: 3120
Location: Aachen, Germany
There is no GMT ... GMT is dead ... There is no GMT ... it's called UTC ... there is no GMT ... use UTC ...

_________________
Image
[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:38 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 12:55 pm
Posts: 9852
Location: Luton, UK
Sorry, Tiran, you'll never win that one unless Greenwich ceases to exist.
(I work for a global company and our remote team at present spans UK, Italy, Germany, The Netherlands, the US and India. Timezones are normally adjusted for GMT or CET because the project is centred in Italy and the UNIX and scheduler servers are in the UK).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: