It is currently Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:24 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:41 pm 

I don't mean to offend anyone but;
I'm an old gassy excretion, I'm retired, I have enough trouble even remebering what day it is in my world; I don't care what time it is in yours.

I do care what time it is down in the cavern. I go down, look at my KI, look at the clock up here and yeah, my world is +/- x hours from KI time. That's all I need to know and the only Time I post in these forums is KI time. Could everybody please do the same?

All this UDT, MDT, UTC, PST etc. gets confusing and probably not just for me. I'm sure there are a couple other old farts around here. :lol:

When we go down to the cavern, KI time is all that counts and everybody can figure for themselves the difference in time to their world.

For all the nice map and whatnot, and although it was good for figuring out the timing of portal appearances, KI time doesn't jump when you jump from time zone to time zone/from pod to pod.

So please everybody, do an old man a favor. When relating the time of events, use KI time and only KI time. I still may not know what day it is but at least I'll be there on time. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:53 pm 

Location: In the dark, behind you. With the glowsticks in my nose.
KI time is what I use almost exclusively. You're right. Its just easier for people to look at their KI in game and do the conversion on their own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:53 pm 

I'm against the usage of KI time to coordinate events. KI time changes because it takes DST into account. USA has a different start and end time for DST than Europe and other countries. Personally I'm for UTC because it has no DST and it's *the* time reference for international events and expeditions.

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:18 pm 

Tiran wrote:
I'm against the usage of KI time to coordinate events. KI time changes because it takes DST into account. USA has a different start and end time for DST than Europe and other countries. Personally I'm for UTC because it has no DST and it's *the* time reference for international events and expeditions.

So why make people do the work? I don't mean to be rude, but the predominant community is North American. Converting to UTC from KI time and then having to convert back because...as you say UTC doesn't do DST, is much more complicated than it needs to be when simply adding 2 hours for Eastern time, 1 hours for Central and subtracting an hour for Pacific does the trick for (guesstimate) 90% of the people.

Not to say that you don't have a valid argument, its just you're going to find a lot of resistance from the community. Not to mention the concept of UTC is very foreign to the layperson. Especially considering this is just a game.

Last edited by Overdrive on Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:22 pm 
Having recently embarrassed myself to a degree by getting the time conversion wrong. I think I'm probably in favour of this idea... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:34 pm 

Tiran wrote:

Good points all.
In the US, the railroad goes by their time, which doesn't recognize DST but nobody except railroad workers cares or follows it.

Cavern explorers, IMHO, should use cavern/KI Time. We all need a common frame of reference unserstood by all in the cavern. What ever that other world is doing we really don't/shouldn't care.

Look at it as KI Time being the UTC for the world of URU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:45 pm 

fchall wrote:
Tiran wrote:

Good points all.
In the US, the railroad goes by their time, which doesn't recognize DST but nobody except railroad workers cares or follows it.

Cavern explorers, IMHO, should use cavern/KI Time. We all need a common frame of reference unserstood by all in the cavern. What ever that other world is doing we really don't/shouldn't care.

Look at it as KI Time being the UTC for the world of URU.

I second that, fchall. KI-time is universal and there is no need to confuse people with all this real life stuff. It puts things in the right place right on time - KI-time :lol:

Greetings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:17 pm 

I agree, just use KI time. KI time = MST/MDT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:21 pm 

Sounds good to me. I have Foxclocks set up to show me the current KI time in my browser, which makes working in KI time simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Jules Verne wrote:
KI-time is universal and there is no need to confuse people with all this real life stuff.

By introducing DST in the KI Time they brought on themselves the real life confusion. What use are daylight savings in a Cavern anyway? Or in another universe altogether?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:01 am 

But its the only real life confusion. Not to mention ... the Ki tells you what time its in cavern. I'm sure if its THAT important you can figure it out for yourself. But its imposing significant inconvenience for the majority of people, should they have to post things in UTC... or anything other than KI time for that matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:13 am 
Obduction Backer

When you are reading a book and in the story the characters move around a lot from country to country, do you worry about time zones? I don't think so. So why worry about it in MOUL? It's just a GAME. And it has it's very own time zone...KI Time. That gives the game an excellent reference point that everyone can understand.
Use KI time all the time! You know it makes sense! :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:27 am 
Obduction Backer

fchall wrote:
All this UDT, MDT, UTC, PST etc. gets confusing and probably not just for me. I'm sure there are a couple other old farts around here. :lol:

Oh I don't know, I like to think that I'm not an old gassy excretion at 19, but it gets fairly confusing for me too!

Of course, in an ideal world, I'd love everyone to use GMT or BST, depending on what's on in the UK, but KI time'll do for me :lol:

Actually, I have a little cheapy clock by my computer set to KI time, just to make things easier to work out :P

"Never put Dolby on snake detectors"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:31 am 

There is no GMT ... GMT is dead ... There is no GMT ... it's called UTC ... there is no GMT ... use UTC ...

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:38 am 
Obduction Backer

Sorry, Tiran, you'll never win that one unless Greenwich ceases to exist.
(I work for a global company and our remote team at present spans UK, Italy, Germany, The Netherlands, the US and India. Timezones are normally adjusted for GMT or CET because the project is centred in Italy and the UNIX and scheduler servers are in the UK).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next